Book Suggestions

Non Harry Potter Book Discussion

Moderator: Prefects

Camille Ritter
No broom

Post by Camille Ritter »

I recommend Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. It's an amazing book, has been my favorite since January. After reading many great books after that, they all still remain in Stephenie Meyer's shadow. Beautiful writing and an intriguing storyline. It's a pretty big book - yet a very quick read.

Tags:
Alice Averi
No broom

Post by Alice Averi »

Camille Ritter wrote:QUOTE (Camille Ritter @ Aug 8 2006, 07:18 PM)
I recommend Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. It's an amazing book, has been my favorite since January. After reading many great books after that, they all still remain in Stephenie Meyer's shadow. Beautiful writing and an intriguing storyline. It's a pretty big book - yet a very quick read.
I agree with Camille on this one. I also strongly recommend A Great and Terrible Beauty and Rebel Angels both by Libba Bray. They're excellent. Also, the Midnighters trilogy by Scott Westerfeld and The Unseen series by Richie Tankersley Cusick are amazing as well. Eragon & Eldest are both very good too.
Last edited by Alice Averi on Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Danica Sayre
No broom

Post by Danica Sayre »

Some of my favorites are:

The Uglies, The Pretties, and The Specials by Scott Westerfeld. They have lots of action and go really fast. It's set about 300 years in the future where everyone has an operation to become "pretty" at 16.

Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell. It's just a classic.

The Firekeeper Series by Jane Lindskold. It's about a girl who was raised by wolves and she comes into contact with humans and all these magical problems are happening and she always seems to get involved somehow.

The Hunters' Blades Trilogy by R. A. Salvatore. He's a really good fantasy writer. The books are very discriptive and fast paced.

The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Greggory. It's historical fiction and very good.

Pirates! by Celia Rees. Lots of piratey action, good for anyone who likes Pirates of the Caribbean.

Anything by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes She writes lots of vampire and shape shifter books which are all really good.
Camille Ritter
No broom

Post by Camille Ritter »

Danica Sayre wrote:QUOTE (Danica Sayre @ Aug 9 2006, 03:48 PM) Anything by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes She writes lots of vampire and shape shifter books which are all really good.

Ohh, I agree. Amelia Atwater-Rhodes is a fantastic author. My favorite of hers is Demon in My View. I love the romance that she mixed in there. Beautiful descriptions, too!
Ron Lupin
No broom

Post by Ron Lupin »

I read a lot of books, so here are my recommendations:

Hidden Talents by David Lubar- This book is about a bang of guys who were sent to this bad person school. Throughout the book, each character has something special about him that would one day soon help them. It's a fantastic book for young adults

The Supernaturalists by Eoin Colfer- This book is about a boy who lives at a testing place and is one day helping this group called the Supernaturalists fight off these evil Parasites that feed off the souls of people when they get hurt. Or do they??????

The Power of Un by Nancy Etchemendy- This book is about a boy who receives this machine that does something special. When the worst comes at a carnival, he has to use this machine to change the outcome of what happened. When the machine gets destroyed, he has only on chance to finally get it right.

Tangerine by Edward Bloor- This book is a diary of a boy. Throughout his journal entries, many eventful things happen and he also gets flashbacks of his past. These flashbacks will help him uncover the future.
Gryffindor First Year ro810 11 inches from a hemlock tree with a hippogriff talon core

Harry Potter, it's what we live for for!!!
Eve Shay
No broom

Post by Eve Shay »

If you're looking for something that might give you a bit of analytical challenge, and especially if you're interested in philosophy - try out The Stranger by Albert Camus.

And for a medieval love story - try Katherine, by Anya Seton.

For a super-duper awesome verse novel, read Autobiography of Red by Anne Carson. However, I recommend this with discretion. It's lovely, but intended for older readers.

Avatar by thevisual @ livejournal. Signature by the lovely Cassandra Lobiesk.
Eve Shay || Julia || ev504
Prof. Opal Curare
Oakshaft 79

Post by Prof. Opal Curare »

Anne Rice is an excellent author of Vampire-ish books, who everyone should read just because they're great. (Interview with the Vampire, The Vampire Lestat, etc.)

Mercedes Lackey has been a favorite fantast author of mine for years now. In her series, made up mostly of trilogies with a few random books thrown in, she creates an entire world spanning centuries. They are fabulous. Look for "The Heralds of Valdemar" or "The Last Herald Mage" trilogy to start with.

Tamora Pierce is an excellent fantasy writer for younger audiences, centered more around the elementary to middle school age range.

For more serious books (although I do love fantasy...) may I suggest...

*Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger
*Tree of Red Stars by Tessa Bridal
*Life of Pi by Yann Martel
*The Mists of Avalon by Marrion Zimmer Bradley
*State of Fear by Michael Crichton

*As well as the typical LotR, HP, the Giver, Sabriel series, etc.

And just a random book... Everyone should read "Waterbound" by Jane Stemp. It is a fabulous book.

"A single sunbeam is enough to chase away many shadows."
"Always."
Isabella Kings
No broom

Post by Isabella Kings »

I would have to suggest The Chinese Cinderalla. Not many have heard of it, but it's a great book because if you want action, mystery, history and depth then this is the book for you.
Danielle Jones
No broom

Post by Danielle Jones »

I would recommend missing series by jenny carroll (Meg Cabot) if you like detective that's my fave book series (besides HP of course!) Also, Avalon High by Meg Cabot if you like unexpecing endings, The Secrets of Love by Rosie Rushton if you like love stories, and the Georgia Nicolson series by Louise Rennison if you like humour! /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Hope that helps

Danielle
Emily Aca
No broom

Post by Emily Aca »

Yes, a wonderful topic!!! /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> I absolutely love the book The Wave Walkers, Pirate Curse. It is such a great book and it has a sequel that comes out in May 07. It's by Kai Meyer. Another book by him that I will read is called The Water Mirror. That also has a sequel called The Stone Light, but I don't think that it is out yet. Currently, I am reading a book called The Warrior Heir by Cinda Williams Chima. It is an amazing book!! I have also read the series called, The Enchanted Forest Chronicles, by Patricia C. Wrede. Those were great books. I have also read the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, those were good books. The types of books that I read mostly are fantasy type books. I also love the Harry Potter books, (duh!) /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> I'm sorry I didn't write a description of the books, if I did, I think I would still be typing 3 weeks from now. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> But, you can look them up if you want.
Shoot for the moon, but REACH for the stars.

Everybody is somebody else's weirdo.

When I'm not in my right mind, my left mind gets pretty crowded.

MUSIC&MOVIE LOVER... you've been warned!
Brenna Westfeld
Oakshaft 79

Post by Brenna Westfeld »

I, like many of you who have already posted, could also live happily in a bookstore as long as someone brought me food once in a while /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> I didn't read every single post (there are so many!) so apologies if I am repeating recommendations.

Outlander, Dragonfly in Amber, Voyager, Drums of Autumn, The Fiery Cross, and A Breath of Snow and Ashes (Diana Gabaldon): These books are definitely more adult oriented in terms of theme and content, and are incredibly long! However, they are also incredibly good. A woman on her honeymoon in Scotland steps through a stone circle and finds herself in 1700's Scotland. The characters are amazingly well developed, and the story is fantastic.

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress (Robert Heinlein): This book can be hard to find, but is well worth a read. Basically it's the story of a computer that comes to life and helps the inhabitants of the moon (who are penal colonists much in the way Australia was a penal colony early on) revolt against the control of those on Earth.

The Rule of Four: Another Da Vinci Code type book, but set in the U.S. at a university, and involving graduate students trying to decode a puzzling text. I can't remember who wrote it, but it was a lot of fun to read.

The War of the Flowers, Memory Sorry and Thorn Series (Tad Williams): The War of the Flowers is a standalone novel about a man who gets sucked into the world of fairies and has to help them save it from destruction. It was so good, I wish there was a sequel! The Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn series is a lot like Lord of the Rings, with the few good characters fighting against a great force of evil that is threatening their world. Again, really great!

That's is for now, I suppose... until I read a few more books!
Lera Kamerat
No broom

Post by Lera Kamerat »

The books I liked are
Because of Windixie
Star in the storm
The Giver
Number the Stars
Lera
One for all and all for one!
Cliodna Bladvak
No broom

Post by Cliodna Bladvak »

I like fictions book and Detective series. Gosho Aoyama is my fave author after Rowling. He could make a great story in the Detective World. Have you ever read all of Aoyama's book?
I'm angel of love, sometimes people call me CUPID
But 'cause often make a wrong, they call me a STUPID angel
Phedre Montreve
No broom

Post by Phedre Montreve »

So many books, so little time. Here's a list of books/authors I recommend.

Orson Scott Card: Enchantment - I just finished this one, and it's somewhat like a fairy tale, but what happens in the "happily ever after." It's an intriguing story.

Kim Harrison - She writes a series of books that focus on a crime-fighting witch, with the help of her vampire, pixie, and werewolf friends. The books are actually quite humorous and the setting is in a modern-day world where suddenly the humans realize these beings are real and we must get along with them.

Mercedes Lackey: Five Hundred Kingdom series - There are only two books in the series so far, The Fairy Godmother and One Good Knight, but I love the series because they are a twist on the classic fairy tale concepts set in a world rife with fairy tales gone wrong.

Sara Douglass: The Axis Trilogy and the Wayfarer Redemption series go together as six complete books. The author seems to pride herself on creating very complex worlds and characters, but it is very easy to get sucked into these books. There is also the Troy Game series, a set of 4 books, that expand on the greek mythology of the minotaur trapped in the labyrinth on the island of Crete, which are my personal favs by this author.

Maria V. Snyder: Poison Study - This is the first book in a new series by this brand-new author, and I think I read it in 3 days. The setting is a militaristic society where the government has attempted to outlaw magic. The main character is sentenced to death, but keeps her life by being the food tester for the head of the government, so of course she must learn all about poisons to stay alive. Wonderful book and I can't wait for the next one.

Marion Zimmer Bradley: This author is most famous for Mists of Avalon, which is a retelling of the legend of King Arthur, but from the female point of view, and was turned into a movie. She wrote an entire series that led up to this book, all focusing on female magic and power, but actually stem from druidic influences. I'll list them in the order they should be read, since I found out too late the proper order: The Forest House, Lady of Avalon, Priestess of Avalon, and The Mists of Avalon. She also wrote The Firebrand, which is in the same epic style, but is not connected to the series. It retells the story of the fall of Troy from the viewpoint of Cassandra, who prophecied it, but no one believed her.

Anne Bishop: Black Jewels trilogy - This series is a darker take on magic and what is "good." It carries more mature themes, but is still wonderfully imaginative if you read it with an open mind. The author also recently came out with a companion book called Dreams Made Flesh that ties up the loose ends left in the trilogy.

Jacqueline Carey: Kushiel's Legacy series - This is currently my absolute favorite set of books! I would definitely only recommend these to someone who is at least 18 years of age because of the mature themes. The series is a trilogy, but the author has continued with the plotline in a second trilogy through the eyes of another character in Kushiel's Scion. The titles in the original trilogy are as follows: Kushiel's Dart, Kushiel's Chosen, and Kushiel's Avatar. Heh, I loved the books so much I named myself after the main character, the Comtesse Phedre no Delauney de Montreve. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Phedre Montreve
Last edited by Phedre Montreve on Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Made @ The Sig N' Av Palace by Jacenta
Delia van Loenen
No broom

Post by Delia van Loenen »

I would reccomend;

Gary Pulsen

Hatchet series

Lois Lowry

Number the Stars
The Giver, Gathering Blue, and Messenger (a series)

Tamora Pierce

I recomend all her books, but here are a few;
Tricksters choice and Tricksters Queen
The Song of the Lioness quartet
The Circle of Magic quartet
The Circle Opens quartet and
The Will of the Empress.

Sonia Levitin

The Return
Room in the Heart
Silver Days
Annie's promise

I like loads more books as well, but this post would probably be miles long if I listed them all!
Babz Dragon
No broom

Post by Babz Dragon »

I am a huge fan of

The Dragon Lance series of books by Weiss and Hickman.

After HP, I reread these books the most.......both the Chronicals and the Legends trilogies.
I have them in the collectors series, and they are really dog-eared from dragging them around.

Some people may think it's really boring to read and reread the same books over and over again, but..... It's my way of going back to a favorite place with favorite people and taking a vacation from RL, just for a bit. RL gets too crazy and too serious sometimes.

Just my bit
Babz Dragon
"Do not medle in the affairs of dragons for they may see you as possibly crunchy and good with just a bit of ketchup"
Ashley Forog
Oakshaft 79

Post by Ashley Forog »

Hi,

My favorite books are
☻Captain underpant series /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />
☻Harry potter series
☻Non - Fiction books

~*Ashley*~
7 1/2 inches from a spruce tree, with a dragon heartstring core is my wand.
Evangeline McDowell
No broom

Post by Evangeline McDowell »

A couple of extremly good books are:
Tithe and Valient By: Holly Black
If you enjoy fantasy then you will like these books but there is also a modern twist in these two and a bit of hatred and a deluded life, but hey they are a really good read. And shes coming out with another one in 2007 called Ironside.
Olivia Charm
Oakshaft 79

Post by Olivia Charm »

"ballet shoes"
really cute (:
Giroro, Gilbert & Glimfeather - love forever!
Chloe Lamorte
No broom

Post by Chloe Lamorte »

If you're into vampire novels I would recommend New Moon by Stephanie Meyer. The Anne Rice series is great too.

For a non-vampire-ish book I would recommend Me and Emma by Elizabeth Flock. I really enjoyed that one and the ending is quite a surprise. Memoirs of a Geisha is a good book too. I liked the book much better than the movie.
Last edited by Chloe Lamorte on Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
|Chloe Mae Savannah Lamorte|
Ad astra per aspera|To the stars through thorns|Latin Proverb

Return to “Book Talk”