Book Suggestions

Non Harry Potter Book Discussion

Moderator: Prefects

Katherine May
No broom

Post by Katherine May »

The only ones that are popping out at me here are The Mists of Avalon, which is an incredible series and I'd definetly recommend it. Another book I would really recommend is The Celestine Prophecy by James Redfield. Lastly Awake and Dreaming (I don't remember the author), I read this one when I was 14 and I absolutely loved it
It's only paranoia if they aren't actually out to get you!

Tags:
Mackenzie Krey
No broom

Post by Mackenzie Krey »

One book i do not recomend is Call Of The Wild. It is a boring book by Jack London. Don't read it.
Prof. Hailey Potter
Silver Arrow

Post by Prof. Hailey Potter »

Best bet is to go with the Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer. It's about the supernatural, but it's still insanely good!!! Anything by Meg Cabot is amazing, and Phillippa Gregory writes the best books in the Tudor era in England if that interests you like it does me.
Gryffindor Professor|HOL 101, An Introduction to Divination, and Advanced Divination
Spice Squad Captain|Paw Print EiC|Lions' Pride
Akil Thutmose
No broom

Post by Akil Thutmose »

If anyone is looking for a series rivaling Jack Bauer of 24 fame, you might want to check out all the Mitch Rapp series by Vince Flynn.

The books that have been published, so far, in this series are...
Transfer of Power, The Third Option, Separation of Power, Executive Power, Executive Power, Memorial Day, Consent to Kill and Act of Treason.

Mind you, these books aren't for you young folks out there. Lots of... er.. action. XD
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read." -Groucho Marx
"Therefore I say: Eä! Let these things Be!" -Eru Iluvatar, The Ainulindale, The Silmarillion
Midnight Slater
No broom

Post by Midnight Slater »

Ok. Everyone needs to go get their hands on these.

1. THE TOMORROW WHEN THE WAR BEGAN SERIES by John Marsden

There's 7 books in the series and its this amazing story about a bunch of teenagers and how they cope when Australia is invaded. I had to read the first novel in grade 12, and carried on to read all 7.

2. THE MIDNIGHTER SERIES by Scott Westerfeld

I read these 3 books recently, after I picked the first one off the shelf at the library randomly. The series is based around the concept that there is a 25th hour to the day, and only those born at exactly midnight can live in this hour (everyone else just freezes), Its really good. Very interesting.

3. A MILLION LITTLE PIECES by James Frey

I wouldnt recommend this novel to anyone under 18, because it deals with some pretty serious issues. Drugs etc. Its about this guy who goes into rehab, and it details his journey there. Amazing writing. Really makes you think and appreciate life.

Enjoy!

Oh and I particularly enjoyed Dan Brown's novels The Davinci Code & Angels and Demons
Last edited by Midnight Slater on Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Midnight Slater

Ginger Witheroot
No broom

Post by Ginger Witheroot »

I recommend
The Dark Is Rising series by Susan Cooper.
The Giver and Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry
Holes
A View from Saturday
A Wrinkle in Time and the rest of that series
The Angel Experiment by James Patterson (edgier than the other books I've recommended)
Mairead Falcourt
No broom

Post by Mairead Falcourt »

Heartland by Lauren Brook
Star Wars I-IV by George Lucas
Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings Trilogy by J.R.R Tolkien
Doctor Who makes the world go round.
Cry me a river, build me a bridge, and get over it!
Fern Davant
No broom

Post by Fern Davant »

Mackenzie Krey wrote:QUOTE (Mackenzie Krey @ Jan 19 2007, 10:33 PM) One book i do not recomend is Call Of The Wild. It is a boring book by Jack London. Don't read it.
I must strongly disagree. I thought that the interesting point-of-view exhibited in it was really riveting. I really loved that book. Read it like three times, it's very short.
Ronja Liek
Moontrimmer

Post by Ronja Liek »

I recommend:

anything written by Robin Hobb, she writes fantasy in a highly realistic way, with a lot of emotional angst.

Daugther of the Forest, by Julliet Marillier ( those of youthat liked mists of avalon will probebly like this one too)

Elizabeth Wein: the winterprince: the story of King Arthur as seen through the eyes of Mordred. ( slightly altred though..)

Robin Hood, by Rosemary Sutcliff (her version of King Arthur is also very good)

The neverending story, by Micheal Ende ( the book is much better that the film)

And if you can get your hands on it, for it is rare in english:

Crusade in Jeans, by Thea Beckman. About a modern boy that lands into a children's crusade.
Last edited by Ronja Liek on Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes.
Olivia Charm
Oakshaft 79

Post by Olivia Charm »

QUOTE "ballet shoes"
really cute (:[/quote]

I'm taking that back...
I only read the first few chapters, but now I got the time and finished it.
Yuck! too sweet, to cute, to nice...
Giroro, Gilbert & Glimfeather - love forever!
Ashbo Andrews
No broom

Post by Ashbo Andrews »

Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld. This book is about a girl named Lee who goes to an elite boarding school. It's written from her point of view and it provides indepth thought. I read it in about a week with my English teacher (we're book buddies). I would only recommend it to people 18 or older. There is some, erm, inappropriate material.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon. This book was FANTASTIC. I read it in about a day. It's from the point of view of an autistic child. I recommend this book to teens and adults. It's simply a must-read.

I Am Charlotte Simmons by Tom Wolfe. This is another book only for adults. My English teacher gave it to me to read. It's VERY similar is Prep. It's about a girl from the mountains of North Carolina attending a prestigious university. It's a very lengthy book, so I only recommend it to someone who enjoys a challenge.

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. This is a GREAT book, especially for teens. It's a sweet love story between a vampire and a girl. Plus, it has a great twist of action.
Ravenclaw || First Year || Resident Rocker
HOL PPC Fanatic || Squibbler Obsessed
9" Rosewood with Unicorn Hair Core
Prof. Danya Amaritu
No broom

Post by Prof. Danya Amaritu »

I recommend:

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova, it has been told that Count Dracula was still alived. The autor said that she wrote the story based on her true story. The story was filled by interesting adventures from one country to another.
stephen gondo
No broom

Post by stephen gondo »

I suggest you read Eragon and Eldest and Lord of the rings series if you like an adventure story.
Helena Rosenblum
No broom

Post by Helena Rosenblum »

Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk - NOT for the young or weak of mind/heart/stomach. 17 individuals participate in a secret writers' retreat. They are locked inside an abandoned theatre and told to write a story in the 3 months they are there. At first, the place is harmless, but soon, bad things start happening. The main plot is interspersed by fascinating, usually disturbing, stories of the people's pasts. It's really gross at some points, but very good.

Feed by MT Anderson - The novel depicts a future world in which the Internet has evolved into the "Feednet"; a computer network to which the brains of American citizens are directly connected by means of an implanted computer chip called a "Feed". Privacy has become a thing of the past; Corporations are free to monitor and manipulate citizens' thoughts, people's thoughts are interrupted by the mental equivalent of pop-up ads, sometimes to a debilitating degree, and the government can even subpoena one's memories. The novel is a dark satire about corporate power, consumerism, information technology, and data mining carried to terrifying extremes.
(description from Wikipedia)

It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini - A depressed teenager named Craig Gilner checks himself into a mental hospital. While in the hospital, he meets a group of interesting and diverse people, and discovers how to truly make himself happy.
Second year || Ravenclaw || Crochet junkie
Vaynard Kent
No broom

Post by Vaynard Kent »

Romance Of The Three Kingdoms...

i read this when I was 12 and No doubt this is the real history which can make the reader like it.../smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />
Julian Bryant
No broom

Post by Julian Bryant »

I just finished two books recently that I reccomend:

- The Hounds of Morrigan by. Pat O' Shea

- The Anvil of the World by. Kage Baker

And of course the Mithgar series by Dennis L. McKernan
Tymothy Henry
No broom

Post by Tymothy Henry »

I would most certainly recommend Skulduggery Pleasant to anyone. A very funny, very good little book, a fast read as well. Also The Pendragon series is very good.
Scott Novak
No broom

Post by Scott Novak »

I really liked the Bartimaeus trilogy. It's about a young wizard, Nathaniel, who summons a demon. But he is careless and loses control of the demon. It takes place in London. I really like this series...it's my third favorite series aside from HP and LOTR.

This incredible avatar is courtesy of Prof. Anya Chutney

It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities-Dumbledore
Aylarah Scale
Oakshaft 79

Post by Aylarah Scale »

I read a book recently called Secrets of Jin Shei by Alma Alexanda. At first I wasn't too sure about this book but I got into it really quickly and couldn't put it down. I would recomend it to anyone. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />
Aylarah Scale | ay600 | Ravenclaw 5th Year |
First Friend | Eagle Adopter | Hogsmeade Herald Editor| Ravenclaw Head Librarian
Sig and av made by the wonderful Aubrielle MacKenna
Jinxy Jo
No broom

Post by Jinxy Jo »

A few books that i think are great reads are;

A Child Called It - David Pelzer; true story about David's life, very sad but such a great read.

My Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold; a little girl is tragically murdered and its her view from heaven.

To Kill A Mocking Bird - Harper Lee; about racism etc
If I should become a stranger, you know that it would make me more than sad (8)

Return to “Book Talk”