Book talk

Non Harry Potter Book Discussion

Moderator: Prefects

Aurora Sommerset
No broom

Post by Aurora Sommerset »

Ooh, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is brilliant! /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> I especially love The Lost World. Pity he didn't write more.

Has anyone heard about some new book of Madeleine L'Engle's? Supposedly it's called An Acceptable Time. I've heard rumours of its existence, but can't confirm it anywhere. I love the Time series, and would love to read a new addition!

Also, does anyone besides me like Frank Peretti's work? I could drool all day long over The Veritas Project series. They're so insightful and fun, with so much truth weaved between the lines.

Well, that's my two Knuts for the day.

Cheers,
Rory
^Thanks to Morgy Black at the ID Card Shop
~~~
Rory | Evil Twin One | au500 | Slytherin
"That's the thing about magic. There's always consequences. Always!" – Spike
Cmodraneh tusehydeuh.
Promptu alethia – Sierra Sky and Aurora Sommerset

Tags:
Ethan Malfoy

Post by Ethan Malfoy »

My favourite book, is probably The Green Mile by Stephen King.

The movie was awsome too(I thought it was even better then parts of the book sometimes).
I also enjoyed the Lord of the Rings books, alot more then the movies, and the movies were geared more towards the battle sences(which I am not a fan of) and the book are written more towards the real plot of the book, and the journey itself.
Over all, J.R.R. Tolkein was probably to me, one of the best literary figures in history.

Though the Harry Potter books are still good /happy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="^_^" border="0" alt="happy.gif" />
Oscar Sanchez
No broom

Post by Oscar Sanchez »

Well that's a tough one, I think it is even more dificult than deciding what is my favourite movies so I'll just put rthe ones that I've enjoyed the most. If someone shares or doesn't share my opinion I will be haooy to talk about it.

Harry Potter series, of course, specially PoA and OoP, JK Rowling
The Lord of the Rings, JRR Tolkien
The Silmarillion, JRR Tolkien
The Borgias, Mario Puzo
The Eight, Katherine Neville
The da Vinci Code, Dan Brown
The Iliad, Homer

Now, I'm reading a classic, The Dive Comedy, by Dante Alighieri, though it won't be one of my favourites, it is good.
One ring to rule, one ring to find them, one ring to bring them all, and in the darkness, bind them!
Ravenclaw is knowledge, knowledge is power
Sydney Brunestow
No broom

Post by Sydney Brunestow »

This is a real tough one for me because I practically live in Barnes and Noble! My friends all think I'm crazy because I read "too much" according to them. Heck, my entire dorm room at college is full of books because I wouldn't be able to live without them!
Here are just a few different series and authors I absolutely love:
Dan Brown's The DaVinci Code and Angels and Demons
The Harry Potter series (of course!) by J.K. Rowling
All of Lurlene McDaniel's books about cancer and cancer patients
The Alanna Series (not sure of the author off hand)
The Lord of the Rings trio by J.R.R. Tolkien
The Shopaholic series and Can You Keep A Secret? by Sophie Kinsella

These are just a few of the very dog-eared books I have in my possession!
Thanks to Aelita from the ID Card Shop for the avatar and siggy!!!!
Julie Garnet
No broom

Post by Julie Garnet »

I love the book Where The Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls. The story is about a boy, his two dogs, and a lot of miracles. It's an easy read, but it's great.
Oscar Sanchez
No broom

Post by Oscar Sanchez »

Oh don't worry Sidney, some people (specially those who are told to be "cool") think you are weird because you like to read, or that you are bored, or that you are "old" (you know what I mean) Same is with politics but, who cares! I enjoy both and I'm still nice and I still have many friends.
One ring to rule, one ring to find them, one ring to bring them all, and in the darkness, bind them!
Ravenclaw is knowledge, knowledge is power
Tom Lithmus

Post by Tom Lithmus »

Sidney, I practically live at B&N too, but sometimes Borders lol. I love books!!!!! There is nothing wrong with liking them, but people who dont have low IQs *nods*.

I am reading Angels and Demons currently, and I cant stand LOTR - they bore me lol.
Samuel Craft
No broom

Post by Samuel Craft »

I have a lot of books, no favorites really, just ones that I enjoy. Some are well one the Harry Potter series, Tangerine,Blizzards Wake, and To Kill A Mockingbird was a little confusing and boring at first but it does teach you a lesson about life.
Signature & Avatar by the Sig N Av Palace
Samuel Craft // Hufflepuff // Sixth Year // Student Teacher - Factions of Superheroes
Pearl Mele
No broom

Post by Pearl Mele »

The Harry Potter series, of course, are one of my favorites. Then, there's all the books by Robin McKinley. I can't remember the rest, but they're all in the fantasy genre. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

}}Pearl{{
Cassandra Dresden
No broom

Post by Cassandra Dresden »

I don't think this one has been mentioned, but I might have missed it. Some good books by Diana Jones would be her Chrestomanci series.

A lot of the books I really have been mentioned before, like Princess Bride, LotR, Dan Brown's books, His Dark Materials, Eragon, Sherlock Holmes, and of course Harry Potter. I don't think these have been mentioned: Michael Crichton's books, the Hitchhiker's Guide, the Bourne series, Brian Jacques' Castaways of the Flying Dutchman, Lost Years of Merlin, the Dresden files, Artemis Fowl, Laurie R. King's books, the Lovely Bones, Peace Like A River, Stephen King, Catch Me If You Can, and the Thief by Megan Whalen Turner.

I think that's most of my favorite books. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Oh, and some of Robin McKinley's books are: Spindle's End, the Blue Sword, and the Hero and the Crown.
“So what if the universe is a pointless mass of hydrogen refuse powered by entropy. I’m spreading ketchup on a rubber duck, and after that I’m going to brush its teeth. So there.â€￾ –Rob Landley
“In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and was generally considered a bad move.â€￾ –The Restaurant At The End Of The Universe, by Douglas Adams
Elle Saint
No broom

Post by Elle Saint »

I'm a really old fashioned reader, so naturally, I like to read classics. I'd have to say that my favorite books are Black Beauty, Little Women, How to Kill a Mockingbird, and of course, the HP series. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />
Elle Saint/ el554/ Ravenclaw First Year
LAUGH! It makes you and the people around you happier. *G*
Liz Randerson
No broom

Post by Liz Randerson »

Sydney Brunestow wrote:The Lord of the Rings trio by J.R.R. Tolkien
The Shopaholic series and Can You Keep A Secret? by Sophie Kinsella
OMG SYDNEY! The shopaholic series and Can you keep a secret is also one of my few PRIZED POSSESION. I'm a little too crazy about Can you keep a secret 'cause I keep recommending it to my friends. lol. And no to mention the LOTR. *nods*
*huggles* Thanks Ilo for the sig!
- Liz Randerson- li488- Second Year- Pink hamster named Pluee
- Gryffindor- Proud Lion- Gryffs Awards Committee- Insama Tent
- Dragon Heartstring, Cedar, 13 inches- Right wand hand- Troublemaker
Elleze Drayer
No broom

Post by Elleze Drayer »

This is a hard question, I have so many favorites! Here are a few-

Crime and Punishment
the books about Ender by Orson Scott Card
anything by Ernest Hemingway (especially The Sun Also Rises)
the Harry Potter series, of course!
"The only woman awake is the woman who has heard the flute." -- Rumi
Skye Emery
No broom

Post by Skye Emery »

I don't read books much. I really liked this book called "Speak" by Laurie Halse Anderson. I like this other "biography-book" kinda called "Jack the Ripper: Cased Closed" it's some cool stuff. I enjoy the Harry Potter books though, I'm not sure if you guys have heard about it.
This isyour freedomin a life of fallacy, with no lastkiss & noGoodBye.

Cassandra Dresden
No broom

Post by Cassandra Dresden »

I have a copy of 'Jack the Ripper: Cased Closed' Skye, it's by Patricia Cornwell, right? I haven't read though, I haven't had time, is it any good?
“So what if the universe is a pointless mass of hydrogen refuse powered by entropy. I’m spreading ketchup on a rubber duck, and after that I’m going to brush its teeth. So there.â€￾ –Rob Landley
“In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and was generally considered a bad move.â€￾ –The Restaurant At The End Of The Universe, by Douglas Adams
Skye Emery
No broom

Post by Skye Emery »

Yeah, that's the one!

It's really interesting, disturbing at some parts, but very interesting. It all depends in your taste of books really, my mom hates it.
Last edited by Skye Emery on Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
This isyour freedomin a life of fallacy, with no lastkiss & noGoodBye.

Angelina Bell
No broom
Location: A Place Where Heaven And Earth Are One And The Same (Gryffindor)

Post by Angelina Bell »

i love books about so many things and titles but i recently read books in a series called the circle of magic and they are so good i had to share them. other books im intrested in are king arthur, merlin, magic, hp, more magic, dragons, and fantasy in general.

Siggy done by Rachel Baudelaire
Emma Greene
No broom

Post by Emma Greene »

There are a three authors whom I really like. They are Nicholas Sparks, Meg Cabot and J.k Rowling. Nicholas Sparks usually writes about family and love. Meg Cabot's style is actually more "princess". Well, J.K Rowling writes the best magical stories! I like them all! /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />
David Ravenfeather
No broom

Post by David Ravenfeather »

I like many of author, here is some of them: J. K. Rowling (The Harry Potter books), Agatha Christie (all books), Neil Gaiman (The Sandman series, Neverwhere), Mercedes Lackey (all books), Dragonlance series, books from Lewis Carroll a J.R.R.Tolkien.

But the most of all favorite books is Saint-Exupéry's Little Prince.
Last edited by David Ravenfeather on Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dani Cohen
No broom

Post by Dani Cohen »

My favortie book is Matthew Pinsents autobiography.

Return to “Book Talk”