Book talk

Non Harry Potter Book Discussion

Moderator: Prefects

Prof. Hailey Potter
Silver Arrow

Book talk

Post by Prof. Hailey Potter »

I was just wondering; what's your favorite book? I kind of have a tie; The Princess Diaries series and the three books by Carolyn Meyer: Mary, Bloody Mary; Beware, Princess Elizabeth; and Doomed Queen Anne. How about you guys? /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Edit by kiki: from now on this topic will be pinned and here is where you will discuss books. all kinds of books, books you like, books you hate, consider it the "Books discussion topic".

all current discussions about books outside this topic will stay in the lounge for at least a couple more weeks before closed. thanks /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />
Last edited by Prof. Hailey Potter on Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gryffindor Professor|HOL 101, An Introduction to Divination, and Advanced Divination
Spice Squad Captain|Paw Print EiC|Lions' Pride

Tags:
Maggie McGravin
No broom

Post by Maggie McGravin »

my favorite books are a toss-up between three...no..FOUR different series. I like sequels, they're more fun to read /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

the four are

His Dark Materials: by Philip PullmanThe Golden Compass; The Subtle Knife; The Amber Spyglass; Lyra's Oxford
The Dark is Rising: by Susan CooperOver Sea, Under Stone; The Dark is Rising; Greenwitch; The Grey King; Silver on the Tree
Harry Potter: by JK Rowling I'm not going to name these, you know what they are.

and...

Sabriel; Lirael; Abhorsen (I don't know if there is an official name for this series, but I like it a lot, and I haven't read Abhorsen yet, it just came out recently..I think..anyway, these are by Garth Nix

it's the biggest toss-up and I really can't decide which ones are my favorite. maybe they should just ALL be my favorite, I'm sure that will work.

good topic, I like it.
~Maggie McGravin~
11 1/2 inches, Persimmon
with a core of Powdered Dragon Scales

How did YOU celebrate New Years?
Aelita-chan
No broom

Post by Aelita-chan »

Most of my books are part of series, so I'll just name the series off:

His Dark Materials
Harry Potter
Lord of the Rings
A Series of Unfortunate Events
Gossipe Girl

I love reading books so I can't really name off any others that I can remember...

P.S. Read His Dark Materials, it's a really good series though I recommend it for people who read at a high level because it does become a bit complicated.

~Cheers,

Aelita-chan | ne404 | Gryffindor |
[color= hotpink]Lady Marauder[/color] | Fourth Year |
Ickle Itty Bitty Kawaii Kitty Boo McGee |

PETER AND AVI BELONG TO ME! <3
Prof. Hermione Pena
No broom

Post by Prof. Hermione Pena »

Ooo, yes, His Dark Materials! I've read those too, I really liked them, but they're not quite my fave. The Harry Potter books are definatly my favorite. I also like the Face on the Milk Carton books quite a bit, those are pretty high up on my list.
Magic is the sun that makes a rainbow out of rain
Magic keeps the dream alive to try and try again
Magic is the love that stays when good friends have to leave
I do believe in magic, I believe
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

A favorite, single, book is The Witches of Karres by James H. Schmidt.

After that are the books, either in series, or collections, by these authors (not necessarily in this order):
J. K. Rowling (The Harry Potter books)
Agatha Christie (mysteries)
Neil Gaiman (The Sandman series!)
Robert Jordan (The Wheel of Time series)
Anne McCaffrey (Pern books - - and the other, single books, or smaller series)
Mercedes Lackey (the Valdemar series -- and the Diane Tregarde series in particular)
Sheri S. Tepper (almost all of her books - my first one of hers was The Family Tree )
Zenna Henderson (The People books)
Rex Stout (mysteries)
Marion Zimmer Bradley (both the Darkover series and others)
P. G. Wodehouse (hard to describe but a total kick and treat to read)
Tamora Pierce (Alanna, Dane and 'their' world!)
Lewis Carroll (Alice in Wonderland)
Charles de Lint (Moonheart, Mulengro, Jack of Kinrowan, and almost all of his books)

... and that is just the (so-called) 'fiction' books, but I'll stop there! /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Hmm, had to add a couple more:
Stillness Speaks by Eckhart Tolle (and also his The Power of Now and
the four books The Hobbit, The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers and The Return of the King by J. R. R. Tolkien
Last edited by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black on Tue May 11, 2004 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Eleanor Chambers
Oakshaft 79

Post by Eleanor Chambers »

Neha Issar wrote:Read His Dark Materials, it's a really good series though I recommend it for people who read at a high level because it does become a bit complicated.
I love his Dark Materials, they are up there on my favorites list.

My favorites:

The Once and Future King
Les Miserables
His Dark Materials
The Dark is Rising Series
Lord of the Rings
Great Expectations (or anything by Charles Dickins)
The Ender Series

I love Ender's Game, and I've almost finished Ender's Shadow. I haven't read any of the other ones, but I am sure they are all good, especially the Bean series. He's cool. I love Les Mis lately, I've just started it and it is one of the best books I have ever read.
`,'.
[color=996633]/
ELLA|[/color]| Gryffindor| Fourth Year |
Alexandria Faethorne
No broom

Post by Alexandria Faethorne »

I have more than one favorite book, so I'll name the few that there are :

1. The Scarlet Letter ~ Nathaniel Hawthorne
2. Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul on Tough Stuff
3. The Odyssey ~ Homer
4. The Doll in the Garden ~ I can't remember who wrote this.

*~Alex~* /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Ilona Littrell
Oakshaft 79

Post by Ilona Littrell »

let's see......

the lord of the rings
and the harry potter books of course!
dune, by frank herbert (science fiction lover /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> )
and a lot of others...
It would take forever to name all the books I love as I'm what you can call a bookworm /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

but I think these are my absolute favourite
^Sig & Av made by me.
Feel free to PM me if you want one
|Sixth Year|Lady Marauder|Captain of the black PINK Pearl|
Prof. Ashlee Sully
Moontrimmer

Post by Prof. Ashlee Sully »

A bookstore to me is like kryptonite to Superman. I could spend all my money in a bookstore, and I've come very close to doing so at one stage. As for favourites, I'll make a list.

Harry Potter Series J.K Rowling
Series of Unfortunate Events Lemony Snickett
Finding Cassie Crazy Can't think of the author, but I loved it.
Full Tilt/Speed/House and Blast Janet Evanovich and Charlotte Hughes
Stephanie Plum Series Janet Evanovich

The last two are aimed at an older audience but I fell in love with them after the first line and I believe thats an important aspect to have in a book ... something that catches your attention straight away.
Last edited by Prof. Ashlee Sully on Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Slytherin Professor || Lover of Chocolate || Addicted to Frogs

Rebecca Faethorne
No broom

Post by Rebecca Faethorne »

My favourite books that I would buy are

Harry Potter Series~ JK Rowling
Lord Of The Rings Series~ JRR Tolkien
Series of Unfortunate Events~ Lemony Snickett
His Dark Materials~ Philip Pullman
William Shakesphere Series (all his plays)~ William Shakesphere
I Don't Mean To Be Rude But...~ Simon Cowell

Those are just a few of the books which I have read and really enjoyed, classing them as my favourites.

|~*~Rebecca~*~|
Sister of Alexandria Faethorne | Crazy Huffie | Daughter of Ashlee Sully | TarzanBecca

Titles Alex and I hold: HOL's to most loving sister's | Faethorne sister's | Troublemaking twins | Deadly viper assassination squad | SPAM queens | Crazy twins | Weasel twins | Slythie sister's | Huffie sister's | ESP twins
Mirabella Nevlome
No broom

Post by Mirabella Nevlome »

This is so hard because I'm such an avid reader! *g*

Without including the Harry Potter universe and the Lord of the Rings trilogy (because those are a given *LOL*), I'm a huge fan of Greek Literature. I have various books covering myths and several plays, Lysistrata being my current fave! *g*

Another book series I've just finished is the Left Behind series, which I really enjoyed.

I do enjoy some of Nicholas Sparks' books.

Lastly, I think my all time favorite book is Remembrance by Jude Deveraux, and I'm not afraid to admit it! *LOL*

There's so much more, but it's hard to choose! *flails about*
Mira|Gryffindor Ninja|GQT Liek Whoa|fluent in typoese|Kim Jaejoong fangirl|<3333's everyone|PARQUE ESPANIA!!!

Mia Mayfair
No broom

Post by Mia Mayfair »

In no particular order, these would be my favourite authors:

Anne Rice (The Mayfair Witches, the Vampire Chronicles... well, in fact anything by Anne Rice)
JRR Tolkien (The Lord of the Rings, the Hobbit)
J.M Gisbert (El último enigma, El misterio en la isla de Tóckland)
Robin Cook (Vector, Chromosome Six)
Michael Crichton (The Andromeda Strain, Timeline)
and JK Rowling (Harry Potter series)
Firsty | Slytherin | mi480 | Assistant Prefect | Sig 'n' Av Palace Worker
Phoenixfeather's Name Twinny | Slashing the Slash.

"The Devil's instant, is our Eternity"

Flick & Swish Golden Award June 2004!
Liarna Quinn
No broom

Post by Liarna Quinn »

Apart from the Harry Potter series and the Lord of the Rings books which have already been mentioned in every single post, i also love:

Needful Things by Stephen King - Although i love all of Stephen King's books, (he's my favourite author) this has got to be my favourite. It's one of his lesser known books which spawned an awful film adaptation, but a brilliant book

Bridget Jones Books Bridget Jones's Diary and The Edge of Reason by Helen Fielding - Two great books for a laugh and ones i can read over and over again!

I am an avid book reader but i mostly read Stephen King books, and i can't be bothered to name all of his books!

Liarna Charlotte Quinn | li481| Gryffindor 2nd Year | Insama Den | Lady Marauder

"Life is getting harder day by day,
And i don't know what to do or what to say,
And my mind is growing weak every step i take."
~ McFly
Alley Kitten
No broom

Post by Alley Kitten »

My mom is the Assistant Childrens' Libarian at the local public library so I read a lot. I find that I like YA books more than adult fiction because they're faster to read and you don't have to work so hard at it. Here's a list of some of my favorite books:

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien (I've been a Tolkien fan sinse the 5th grade. I even have his signature tattooed on the back of my neck)
Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell
The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
The Giver by Lois Lowery
Phantom by Susan Kay
The Princess Bride by William Goldman

A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket
Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter Series by Laurell K. Hamilton
Artemis Fowl Series by Eion Colfer
Harry Potter Seires by J.K. Rowlings

Right now I'm reading a book called InkHeart by Cornelia Funke. It's interesting so far. I'm waiting to see where it's taking me.

"Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it."
Sima Wolfaxe
No broom

Post by Sima Wolfaxe »

Harry Potter series (especially PoA) by J.K. Rowling
The Sons of Great Bear series by Liselotte Welskopf-Henrich
Winnetou (all three) by Karl May (and his all other books)
Godfather by Mario Puzo (and also his all other books)
Four Noble Truths by The Dalai Lama
Lord of the Flies by William Golding

And hundreds of others which I was just too lazy to write down... *grin*
(And I think that I have to admit that I somehow only managed to read the first page of The Lord of the Rings... And when I saw so many of you mentioning it as your favourite I realized I have to try to read it again... After I pass my OWLs of course)
We do not stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
Misty McManus
No broom

Post by Misty McManus »

To Kill A Mockingbird
Les Miserables
Harry Potter
~*Misty*~
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today"--James Byron Dean
Misty McManus | mi211 | Gryffindor
Nadia Afiqah
No broom
Location: Give me a 'B', Give me an 'A', Give me a 'D', Give me a 'G', 'E&

Post by Nadia Afiqah »

I really loe these books:

Harry Potter series by JK Rowling
Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien
The Princess Diaries series by Meg Cabot
Tuck Everlasting by ?????????????
The Baby-sitters Club series by Ann M. Martin
The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux

An many many many more. Just can't remember. Haha. Oh yeah, and the Olsen twins books too.
Luthien Black
No broom

Post by Luthien Black »

Like a lot of other people here, I read heaps, so I have a lot of trouble picking my faves. I'll list a few:

JRR Tolkien (The Hobbit, LoTR, The Silmarillion)

Harry Potter (esp PoA)

The Ice Master by Jennifer Niven (amazing true story about an arctic expedition, I highly recommend it!)

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

The Discworld series by Terry Pratchett

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Sharon Penman books (historical sagas, I like the Welsh princes series best)

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden (?)

I'm hoping to go up to the library this afternoon (if I feel up to it - I've been sick /sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> ) I hope they have a copy of Dracula - I really want to read it. And I'm kinda tempted to read Les Mis - my parents have read it and warned me off, but a friend of mine really enjoyed it, and there's a few people here who did as well.

Nai tiruvantel ar varyuvantel i Valar tielyanna nu vilya
May the Valar protect you on your path under the sky
Aaron Wente

Post by Aaron Wente »

Hey My favorite books are the harry potter sir. Like all of Tolkien's books, umm the three musketeres, the man in the iorn mask, tuck everlasting, the phatom tolboth, and alot of manga.

Return to “Book Talk”