Week 2 Discussion - I Opened a Book

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Prof. Sky Alton
Twigger 90

Week 2 Discussion - I Opened a Book

Post by Prof. Sky Alton »

Our second discussion is about Julia Donaldson’s “I Opened a Book”

Donaldson is a renowned writer of children’s books and poems, with her most famous being The Gruffalo. She began as a song writer (writing songs for children) and was inspired to become an author when someone asked if they could turn one of her songs into a picture book. So, it’s not surprising that many of her books are written in rhyme.

Click here to read her poem ‘I Opened a Book’. Like the poem we looked at last time, it doesn’t use a particular poetic form but it does use rhyme and rhythm to keep the poem flowing.

Feel free to share any thoughts you had while reading: how the poem made you feel, any lines that stood out or what it made you think of. You can also discuss the technical elements of the poem, like themes, images, the meter and the way the poet uses language. If someone else has said something that you find interesting, you should definitely respond to them – this is a discussion, after all.

If you’re stuck, think about this: this week, we’re looking at a poem intended for children, rather than adult readers. How do you think that shows in the text?

Providing what you share is respectful and HOL-appropriate, it’s completely up to you!

Your response should be at least 80 words long for full credit and must be written in your own words. While quoting from the poem is absolutely fine, you do need to write 80 words of your own content along with the quotes.

Post your responses below by 23:59 HOL-time on the 20th of August to earn 20 beans!
"Growing up doesn't have to mean I lose the cape, the faith, the dream. I'm so done with that... I'm taking it back."
(Av/sig by S. Elf)
Janne Halla
Oakshaft 79

Re: Week 2 Discussion - I Opened a Book

Post by Janne Halla »

I quite like this poem and I'm not a very poem person at all. The way it encompasses one's thoughts when describing how is it to read a book, especially one with such a rich story is quite amazing, especially since it's a relatively short one.

It does have a feeling that it only applies to fantasy, so it'd be perfect if it used one more stanza to describe other genres, but then the impact might've been lessened.

I've found that I've got similar feelings when reading a book that I particularly enjoy, so it was a poem that I could immerse myself in.
Katherine Laurier
No broom

Post by Katherine Laurier »

This poem definitely captured the feelings I get whenever I read a book. Whenever I read a book, I'm not just reading it, I'm going deep in it. Books, for me, are my way of entering new universes, leaping into different realms, leaving the world briefly and finding a new one without actually ever moving, and I think this poem really expressed that well.

This poem is intended for children and I would think so since it shows the fantastical elements that usually captures a young person's attention - magic, dragons, kings, happily ever afters. I know I was obsessed with those when I was a kid! Despite its target audience being children, the poem is something not only children can relate to, but also older audiences, including me!
Anne-Marie Gagne

Post by Anne-Marie Gagne »

I sometimes feel like the odd one out sometimes when talking about being “immersed” in a book. I get invested and there are books that I have had trouble putting down because I was just in love with everything about it. But I’ve never really felt like I was there myself like some people have said they do. I get attached to characters (the good and the bad) but I never feel like I’m there with them, even when I was a child.

The poem was a great read and I love poems with no set meter but I just don’t relate to this one. I do have a clearer idea on what people mean when they say they get so into a book they feel like they’re there with the characters.
Dibyarup James Potter
Oakshaft 79

Post by Dibyarup James Potter »

The poem “I Opened A Book”, written by Julia Donaldson, talks about how a good storybook can become a portal to an entirely new world for the reader. The poet talks about something a lot of us within the walls of Hogwarts Online felt while embarking on our first encounter with the Harry Potter books, the feeling of leaving the real world behind and entering the imaginary world as described in the book.

While reading her book, the poet imagines herself to be dressed as one of its characters who has had a variety of experiences with the creatures and people in this fictional world, has made new friends, embarked on adventurous journeys and experienced life with them.

Personally, I have found myself feeling exactly how the poet feels when I was reading Harry Potter. Whenever the books came to an end, or I had to put them down for the day, I felt a bit sad, but I eagerly looked forward to continue reading the next day.

I finished my book and out I came.
The cloak can no longer hide me.
My chair and my house are just the same,
But I have a book inside me.
The memories forged within the pages leave a lasting mark, evoking an emotional rollercoaster every time I think of the book. That is the magic that lies at the heart of literature, eternally enriching our souls with beautiful memories.
1st Yr. Gryffindor with an aptitude for Charms, PotionsDADA | Aspiring Auror

Return to “Summer Poetry Festival”