What Music Did You Grow Up With?

Music Discussions Go Here

Moderator: Prefects

Amanda Patel
No broom

Post by Amanda Patel »

I grew up on a mix of artists from the 90s, 80s, 70s (and maybe some late 60s). I insisted upon listening to the Backstreet Boys, Britany Spears, N*Sync, Spice Girls (though I didn't have any of their CDs, but I did see the movie), and Hanson.

My parents however? Whenever we went on long car trips we would always listen to Elton John, The Eagles, Mike and the Mechanics, Genesis, Bruce Hornsby and the Range, Chicago, Crash Test Dummies, Foreigner, Jethro Tull, Journey, Loreena McKennitt, Sarah McLachlan, Simon and Garfunkel, Sting, The Beatles, and The Grateful Dead--all the classic (and sometimes unknown) bands that always remind me of childhood.

So you would say I listened to a wide range of music and, since then, have been very keen in my parents taste in music instead of my own.
Otis B. Driftwood: It's all right, that's in every contract. That's what they call a sanity clause.
Fiorello: You can't fool me! There ain't no Sanity Claus!
-A Night at the Opera

Tags:
Marcella Warrick
No broom

Post by Marcella Warrick »

Hooray for the '90s! xD

I grew up as an obsessed fanatic of the boy and girl bands. I also thought that someday I would marry Justin Timberlake because we had the same birthday. But I also loved the Backstreet Boys, Savage Garden, S Club 7, Britney Spears, The Spice Girls, Ricky Martin (hehe), and Leann Rimes.

There were so many others, and the music was kind of cheesy, I must admit, but I can't help but smile and break out into a dance whenever a favorite old '90s song plays on the radio =D
|| Hufflepuff || First Year || ma962 ||
Drea Riot
No broom

Post by Drea Riot »

I grew up in the 90's, lots of Nirvana, Goo Goo Dolls, spice girls, Nsync. But my mom was an 80's girl, so I got a listen of all that as well!
drea riot!
well behaved women rarely make history.
Deborah Athena
No broom

Post by Deborah Athena »

I grew up with Bon Jovi, Air Supply, Savage Garden and so many others. A lot of the music now is just not as good anymore.
Lavinia Rookwood
No broom

Post by Lavinia Rookwood »

Growing up, I listened to a pretty expansive group of music actually, though country probably made 85% of it. (This would be both country oldies like Johnny Cash and Patsy Cline, as well as then new 90's country hits.) Mom would also listen to 80's, some 70's, and 50's. Dad was more rock, which I didn't care much for at the time. Then with my grandma, I listened to the oldies (50's or 60's was the youngest the stantion would do.) Course she actually like more of the 90's pop scene more then I did. lol.

Now, I listen to more pop then I used to, but I find I like it mixed with something else. I still don't care for boy bands. I still love country but I prefer more new stuff and I don't listen to it often on my own. I download alot of free albums and such, so I find some oddball stuff at times (at least to me it is, lol!). And I still love alot of 80's music, and even some disco, which my dad hates.
Enid Labs
No broom

Post by Enid Labs »

I grew up in 90's : Backstreet boys, Shiana, Britney Spears, shakira...
I also grew up with Bon Jovi, Metallica, and all 80's rock bands because of my mum. :)
Enid Labs||en602||First year Student||PPC Member||HOL Book Club Member

Life can be awful if you aren't able to see it's bright side.
Ariella McManus
Silver Arrow

Post by Ariella McManus »

Mine is a weird mix..I grew up in the 70's and 80's, so Madonna and Bon Jovi were definitely some of my favorite music. I was a MAJOR Madonna fan..still am actually. I never got into the really heavy metal stuff, though I will admit to a fancy for Kiss (not all of their music, but there is just something about them you gotta love). That being said..

My Dad listened to old school country (Loretta Lynn, Hank Williams Sr, etc) and I can't remember a time that I didn't like country. It is probably still one of my favorite genres, though I love all types of music. I do love new country as well, don't get me wrong, but Coal Miner's Daughter will get me every time

My Mom, on the other hand, hated country and listened to more rock & roll circa 1950-60-ish..stuff like the Beatles, Elvis, Supremes, etc. She also loved the 'big band' sound from the 40's and while I tended to like the other stuff better, I do love Harry Connick, Jr, who sounds a lot like Sinatra, so guess that counts for something. I don't listen to the 'oldies' as much as I did when I was younger, but every now and then I do get in that mood.
Ravenclaw Prefect/Head Student/Student Teacher/ar1107
“Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!”
Hope Campbell
No broom

Post by Hope Campbell »

I also grew up in the 90's. I was completely obsessed with S Club 7 and N'Sync. I also liked listening to A*Team and BBMack.
Hope Davis

"There is no frigate like a book, to take us lands away..." ~Emily Dickenson

"Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: "What! You too? I thought I was the only one.â€￾ ~ C.S. Lewis
Bia Rodrigues
No broom

Post by Bia Rodrigues »

I grew up in the 90's so I stick to the remaining grunges to the 80's and I had my phase of Backstreet Boys when they came out in 96, 97 or smth like that.
"Where they are just and loyal, those patient Hufflepuffs are true and unafraid of toil"
Shiloh Adlar
Cleansweep One

Re: What Music Did You Grow Up With?

Post by Shiloh Adlar »

I spent a lot of time growing up in the ballet studio, so most of the music I heard was classical based. I still listen to classical music even now. My parents got me hooked on it before I even started at the academy. They would use it in my room at night to help me sleep as a baby, we would play it in the car as we traveled wherever we were going. I grew up playing the piano, so I learned a lot of classical pieces by playing as well. There was also jazz in the house which I still listen to today as well.
Shiloh Adlar, Seventh Year
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire
Bull J. Johnson
Cleansweep One

Post by Bull J. Johnson »

I grew up listening to country music.
Prof. Zenix James
Oakshaft 79

Post by Prof. Zenix James »

I actually grew up on a weird variety of music. I remember coming home from elementary school and my mom would have all the doors and windows open to our house while she was blasting classic rock through our stereo entertainment system. I guess I know where I got my love of loud music from. Mainly, when I was very young, we listened to classic rock like Aerosmith, The Allman Brothers Band, CCR, Journey, Queen, The Eagles, AC/DC, Deep Purple, Fleetwood Mac, the Doors, Boston. So, I have a deep love of classic rock. Now, when I was in middle school and, well, for the rest of my life, I've always loved the alternative rock/punk/emo scene: Simple Plan, Linkin Park, Evanescence, Blink 182, The Offspring, Paramore, My Chemical Romance, Foo Fighters, Hawthorne Heights, Deathcab for Cutie, and so on.
Born This Way| Music <3|Book Lover

Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo.
Austin Ollivander Black
No broom

Post by Austin Ollivander Black »

I grew up on classic rock,80s metal, southern rock and blues...in my teen's I liked screamo,metalcore and metal and later country. I have a strong liking for synth metal (nightwish and HIM)and pagan folk metal (Eluveitie) also Hank III (Hank Williams grandson) and a band called Omnia.
Image RQT 2017/18
Marie Dark
Oakshaft 79

Post by Marie Dark »

I grew up with alot of different music but to age me with music.... 80's Big Hair Sprayed Feathered Hair in Layers..... hahaha so Depeche Mode, Madonna, U2, B52's, Culture Club, Tears for Fears.... wow.... this is so bad!!! So I'll stop here.... lol :D :lol: :rolleyes:
Austin Ollivander Black
No broom

Post by Austin Ollivander Black »

Marie Dark wrote:I grew up with alot of different music but to age me with music.... 80's Big Hair Sprayed Feathered Hair in Layers..... hahaha so Depeche Mode, Madonna, U2, B52's, Culture Club, Tears for Fears.... wow.... this is so bad!!! So I'll stop here.... lol :D :lol: :rolleyes:
Hey Tears for Fears,Depeche Mode and U2 are good not bad. But you are right about culture club...Adam Ant should be in your bad list.lol
Image RQT 2017/18
Marie Dark
Oakshaft 79

Post by Marie Dark »

Austin Ollivander Black wrote:
Marie Dark wrote:I grew up with alot of different music but to age me with music.... 80's Big Hair Sprayed Feathered Hair in Layers..... hahaha so Depeche Mode, Madonna, U2, B52's, Culture Club, Tears for Fears.... wow.... this is so bad!!! So I'll stop here.... lol :D :lol: :rolleyes:
Hey Tears for Fears,Depeche Mode and U2 are good not bad. But you are right about culture club...Adam Ant should be in your bad list.lol
Hey, I like Adam Ant... Goody Two shoes, Friend or Foe and Desperate but not Serious ..... but it's ok you have your bad music too..... Tee-hee
Vanessa Tilley
Silver Arrow

Post by Vanessa Tilley »

I grew up listening to Classic Rock. My father doesn't really like music because he was forced to sing when he was young in churches because his family went around singing in all the churches. Fun fact, my great grandfather actually played at the Grand Old Opera once. My mother loved Queen, Aaron Neville, Huey Lewis and the News, Whitney Houston, and Michael Jackson to name a few.

Siggy and avatar made by the wonderful Professor Scarlet for Slythmas! :wub:

Return to “Music Talk”