Howler Creative Contest

Moderator: Prefects

Gail Allen
Cleansweep One

Howler Creative Contest

Post by Gail Allen »

Welcome to the first ever Creative Contest

This month's theme is Bright Lights and that is of course reflected in this month's challenge.
For more information and guidelines on how the Creative Contest works, please visit the Guideline for this section.

It's been a long journey to get here. At times I was honestly not sure I'd even make it, but here I am.
I open the door to step outside and suddenly the bright light streaming in hits me like a flood.
I have arrived.

Finish this story. Where has the protagonist arrived? What's the significance of this place? Why did they travel here?
Your story must be between 150 and 300 words long.

Submit your entry through this form.
Deadline for submissions: Wednesday the 20th of October

Submissions will be judged by the editors. We will be paying particular attention to creativity (the direction you choose to take your story in after the prompt) and on structure/pacing.
Prof. Sky Alton
Nimbus 1000

Re: Howler Creative Contest

Post by Prof. Sky Alton »

This issue's theme is ‘All that Glitters’ and we have a very shiny contest for you this time. Unexpectedly shiny, in fact.

Before you dive in, remember to read the guidelines for this section

For this issue, we would like you to find the most unexpectedly shiny item that you can and take a photograph of it. This could be something which randomly caught your eye as it glinted in the sunlight, an item you never would have expected someone to add glitter to or really anything else you can discover. The photo must be your own.

Alternatively, if photography isn’t your thing, we’re inviting you to write a story (which must be between 150 and 300 words long) about how a shiny thing got its sparkle. These should be whimsical (rather than realistic) and written in the style of a fairy-tale or a myth. Think Aesop's fables.

Submit your entry through this form. Remember, you don’t need to get contest entries approved! You Can just get cracking as soon as you like.
Deadline for submissions: 7 January

Submissions will be judged by the editors. For photos, we will be paying particular attention to originality of the item you chose and the overall effect of the shot. For stories, we’ll be looking at the creativity of the concept and how well you master the fable-like tone.
"Growing up doesn't have to mean I lose the cape, the faith, the dream. I'm so done with that... I'm taking it back."
(Av/sig by S. Elf)
Prof. Sky Alton
Nimbus 1000

Welcome back to the creative contest!

This time, we'd like you to celebrate our theme of 'greenery and growth' by creating 2 (two) haikus. They must follow the common structure for haiku poetry, with each haiku being 3 lines long: the first line must have 5 syllables, the second must have 7 syllables and the third must have 5 syllables again. They must also contain a reference to greenery, growth or spring. Your haikus should be able to stand alone as individual poems, though they can connect in some way if you'd like.

We'll be picking our favourite haiku overall, rather than our favourite 2 by one person. While judging, we'll look at the imagery you used and the flow of the syllables.

this form. Remember, you don’t need to get contest entries approved! You Can just get cracking as soon as you like.
Deadline for submissions: 22nd April, 11:59 PM HOL-time
"Growing up doesn't have to mean I lose the cape, the faith, the dream. I'm so done with that... I'm taking it back."
(Av/sig by S. Elf)
Prof. Sky Alton
Nimbus 1000

It's nearly the end of the school year, so it's time to reflect and celebrate.

For this creative contest, we'd like you to create a speech worthy of the end of year feast. As our theme is 'the mists of time', it should be about looking back in some way, whether that's lessons we can take from wizarding history or celebrating things that happened in the past year at HOL (feel free to create some magical events to mention, though please don't involve actual HOL members without their permission).

Your speech should be at least 100 words, follow a structure (for instance, an attention grabbing beginning, a middle where you unpack your theme and then a strong closing remark) and be written as you would say it if you were actually presenting it. While judging, we'll be looking at the way you approached the theme and how well you adapted your ideas to the format.

You can submit your entries via this form. Remember that you don't need to get creative submissions approved, you can just get started!
Deadline: 17 June, 11:59 PM HOL-time
(Av/sig by S. Elf)

Return to “The Howler”