Modules #1/#5 - "MEMORIES & MANIFESTATIONS" - Fall 2021

Class led by Prof. Sindor Aloyarc

Moderator: Prof. Sindor Aloyarc

Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
Comet 140

Modules #1/#5 - "MEMORIES & MANIFESTATIONS" - Fall 2021

Post by Prof. Sindor Aloyarc »

Welcome to the Module 01 and Module 05 "Media & Manifestations" thread!

("Scroll-and-a-Half" / 150 words)

Module 01: (Manifestations - MS:HP I)
Write some kind of a Short Story or Poem that revolves around this month's Power. Let those creative juices flow!

Module 05: (Memories - MS:HP II)
Write about any memory (whether real and/or from the perspective of your HOL persona) which revolves around this month’s Power.

In addition to submitting via e-mail, you’re encouraged to post these publicly here. While this will not effect your points, it will encourage interactions by providing additional options for people to connect on, particularly for those who take part in the “Mixing & Mingling” portion of this month’s exercises if they enjoy or relate to your work and choose to talk about something you’ve shared.
Deputy Headmaster | Deputy Head of Ravenclaw
"⁠—Starry, starry night. Paint your palette blue & grey."
Emily Spencer
Comet 180

Re: Modules #1/#5 - "MEMORIES & MANIFESTATIONS" - Fall 2021

Post by Emily Spencer »

Memories-Power of Peace
My maternal grandfather and I have always enjoyed a very close relationship. Some of my fondest memories are of times spent with him. Even to this day, I can still recall the songs that he taught me, the love of nature, and the value of never giving up no matter how hard things may seem. Thanks, too, is owed to Popee for helping me decide my chosen profession of paramedic. He suffered from Parkinson’s disease, and I was ever ready with my toy nursing kit to ‘make him feel better.’ Let me tell you, if candy pills and plastic shots could cure, he would have been the picture of health.

Sadly, he died when I was 24. His death affected me deeply, and left me in a rare state of depression that I just couldn’t seem to shake. I honestly didn’t know if I would ever be happy again, and I know that was not the legacy he would have wished to leave me. My heart was in turmoil, and peace of mind was a seemingly distant memory.

Anyway, one day my husband convinced me to rouse myself enough to head to the lake for a boat ride. I almost refused, but a niggling voice inside my head urged me to go, and so I did. It was a picture perfect, beautiful day, and I found myself relaxing in spite of myself. We were in the middle of the lake when this feeling of peace just seemed to wash over me.

Looking up, I saw a hawk flying overhead, keeping even with our boat. I knew somehow, that it was my grandfather’s spirit sent to comfort me. The hawk dipped his wings in acknowledgement as if knowing what I was thinking and then flew away. Words cannot adequately describe how I felt right then, but I can tell you that I was very grateful for the gift given.

The power of peace is indeed powerful when employed. I may not always practice it, but then I think of that moment and the lesson learned.

“Even in the darkest of nights, light will eventually shine.”
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who’s going to stop me.”
Head Student/Slytherin Prefect/Student Teacher/Library & Book Club Head
Silvana Mandeville
Silver Arrow

Post by Silvana Mandeville »

Manifestations: Power of Faith

Silvana jogged to her house, it was raining as she approached the fence. Moaned softly while patting her slightly wet sleeve, she walked into the house. Silvana found Freda sitting in the living room, deep frown on her face. Sitting beside Freda, Silvana glanced at the paper on her sister's hand.

"What is it, Freda?" asked Silvana curiously, leaning closer to Freda, trying to read the contents of the pamphlet.

Eyes widened, she grabbed the paper, read it one more time and looked at Freda. It was a Manga contest. "You must sign up for this!" Silvana said excitedly. But her sister's shoulders dropped. Silvana nudged her body and raised her eyebrows, as if asking her sister.

"I'm scared. I'm not sure I can do well," said Freda weakly.

Silvana groaned in frustration and asked in a loud voice, "WHY? You are the best Mangaka I have ever known."

"Hey, you say that just because I'm your sister. Other people don't think like that." Freda's frown slightly.

Shaking her head, Silvana said, "Aish, have some faith in yourself, please. How do you even know? You are a talented person so don't waste this opportunity and your talent. Believe in yourself that you can do your best."

The frown is still there, marred Freda's face. "I'm afraid I would be nervous and mess up everything."

"No, that won't happen. Now you go and sign up, then practice, when it's starting do your best and believe in yourself that you can do it, whatever the result doesn't matter. By participating now, you will be able to know how far you are capable. I believe you can do the best!" Silvana smiled as her sister hugged her tightly and thanked her.
Prof. Will Lestrange
Shooting Star

Post by Prof. Will Lestrange »

About a year before I enroled here at HOL, I was living in Finland - living in a city that was right on the water. The moments that allowed me to feel most at peace over in Finland were when I was in the water: while there were tons of outdoor and indoor swimming pools (paired with sauna as per local custom), I found myself most at peace when I was in the secret swimming spots just off the shore, within the city limits. In the late summer, the water was warm enough for me to actually go and take a swim, feeling myself completely at peace and relaxing as I took in the gorgeous scenery (it could be light very late into the evening, possibly even past midnight) and enjoyed being immersed in what I felt was my element. Even as my life was filled with uncertainty at that time for a variety of reasons, the calming environment around me really spoke to the power of Peace!
Emerald Wolvenhowl
Oakshaft 79

Post by Emerald Wolvenhowl »

The Sea

The times I have been most at peace is when I have been at a beach watching the waves. I think some of that peace comes from having visited the sea a lot when I was younger.

However, one memory stands out the most; when I was 10 years old one of my aunts took me and my cousin on one weeks holiday. We stayed in a caravan which had a beach right on its doorstep and we spent most days there.

Although it was a holiday, the location was only about 45 minutes away from where I lived but it felt so far away from home because the place was unfamiliar to me and it was the very first time that I was away from home and my mum.

I spent much of the time feeling really homesick, so my cousin came up with the idea of going down to the sand to see if we could find something that I could take back home to my mum as a gift. I found a couple of small shells but it didn't look like much so we went over to the rock pools to look for Mermaids treasure.

While there we came across several crabs resting in the pools, and I don't know why but thought that my mum might like one of those. I put one of them safely in my sandwich box ready to be taken home and I couldn't wait to see her face light up.

When I finally saw her and handed it over to her, but her face didn't light up at all. Instead, she looked shocked because it was clear that the crab hadn't survived.

Unfortunately, several years ago, my mum passed away. For a long time I really needed to regain some calm and healing, so one of my other cousins came with me to that same beach. We stood close to the water and it soon reached our feet, discarding bits and pieces before receding.

Suddenly, I looked down to see something moving by my foot, and being a wuss, I moved out of the way sharpish. My cousin couldn't stop laughing at me because it turned out to be just a crab. He was convinced that it was a sign from my mum letting me know that she was watching over me but also getting her own back at me and having a good old laugh about it.

Could he be right? I'm not sure. All that I know is that whenever I am near the sea now I feel even more at peace there than I did before and I'm reminded that nostalgia along with a good laugh can help us push through the hard times.

Return to “Muggle Studies: Hidden Powers”