Assignment Two - Discussion

Class led by Prof. Ryan Granger

Moderator: Prof. Ryan Granger

Prof. Ryan Granger
Moontrimmer

Assignment Two - Discussion

Post by Prof. Ryan Granger »

Please post your class discussion for Assignment Two below.

Make sure you answer the following questions:

1. Bowling is an international sport that has a wide variety of styles. What's your favorite style? (10-pin, 9 pin, Wii bowling counts too!) If you've never played before, why not?
2. Have you ever been bowling before? What's your highest score? (Wii bowling counts too!)

Feel free to add more though!
Prof. Ryan Granger | Ravenclaw Head of House | Most Likely Lost
Prof. Rorey Padfoot
Cleansweep Three

Re: Assignment Two - Discussion

Post by Prof. Rorey Padfoot »

I think my favorite type of bowling would be 10 pin, but I also have loved Wii bowling in the past. According to Wii I had a mean twist to my shot, and it’s there a bit in real life.

I have definitely bowled before, though it’s been a while so I can’t exactly remember what my top score would have been, but I typically get over 100. I love cosmic bowling, where the bowling alley does black lighting and the pins and balls look like they are glowing when you’re playing. Some places do it during 80’s night, so you can have some fun music playing as well.
~Prof. Rorey Padfoot~*~Ravenclaw~
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

1. Bowling is an international sport that has a wide variety of styles. What's your favorite style? (10-pin, 9 pin, Wii bowling counts too!) If you've never played before, why not?
My favorite style of bowling is 10-pin bowling. (I've never bowled 9 pin.) I used to go to the bowling alley a lot when I was a kid. My uncle was a competitive bowler ... he did quite well as I remember.

2. Have you ever been bowling before? What's your highest score? (Wii bowling counts too!)
Yes, I've been bowling when I was a kid -- the local bowling alley was a place for family gatherings. (Now I realize that one reason we'd gather there was because of my uncle being in competition.) I did very poorly! :lol: I felt pretty good if I could get a strike. Finally I got to where I had fewer and fewer gutter balls. That was a major success. B)
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Sadie Bean
No broom

Post by Sadie Bean »

My favourite style of bowling has to be 10 pin bowling as that is the version I have played the most as a kid, but I did also play a lot of Wii Sports bowling, as well as Kinect Sports bowling.

I have been bowling many times before, but when I got my highest score of 103 with my youth group that I volunteer with a couple of years ago. I even beat the other leader who bowled as a part of a team! I am better at bowling in real life than playing it on the Wii, but my highest score on the Wii was 87 when I was playing against my younger sister.

My old local bowling alley (which has now shut) was always modelled off the 90s and sold lovely slush puppies. Everytime someone got a strike or spare, a cool little animation of a bowling pin from the 90s appeared doing something different each time.
Jessica Barnes
No broom

Post by Jessica Barnes »

1) I have defently bowled before many of times. One of the best things about bowling is no matter if your good or bad everyone is on the same field. I enjoy 10 pin bowling. I have done crazy bowling where they put different pins out and use disco music to distract you from bowling.
2) Yes, for both normal and will bowling my scores have been between 90 and 120. I'm not very good at bowling normal nor wii bowling.
Hockey is life!
Prof. Will Lestrange
Shooting Star

Post by Prof. Will Lestrange »

1) The only form of bowling I remember playing was 10 pin bowling. As a kid, I remember that the bowling alleys would put some sort of bumper in the gutter areas so that every ball would have a chance to make it to the end of the lane. I thought I was pretty good at bowling - especially since I could use strategy to bounce the ball off the gutters and get a couple of decent shots in.

Then, when I was eight years old or so, I was invited to a party where bowling was played. I confidently picked up my ball, aimed it to bounce... and saw it fall in instead. Since I didn't really have the strength to hold and control the ball long enough to roll straight throughout the entire lane, my next few attempts still didn't do any better. I tried a smaller ball, but to no avail. Since we were now too old for the bumpers, bowling was going to be an exercise in futility from now on! Needless to say, I haven't sought out the sport since. So my favourite form of bowling would have to be 10-pin bowling WITH bumpers in place of the gutters!

2) For the bumper-free games with true gutters, I think nearly all my balls were gutter balls. I might have gotten one or two balls to clip a corner pin, so maybe my high score in that version was 2? Or something pathetic like that? If you count the games with bumpers, for some reason I remember having scored 152 once, so let's go with that!
Rory Devaney
No broom

Post by Rory Devaney »

The only type of bowling I have ever played is the ten-pin version of bowling, I actually never even knew the nine-pin version even existed before this lesson. I actually like to go bowling, haven't gone in a long time, and need to start bowling again.

I used to bowl in a bowling league, it wasn't a competitive kind of league, more of a fun one. My highest score for a game of bowling is 190. I haven't gone bowling in over 5 years, but I would love to find another fun league to bowl on again sometime soon.
13 1/2 inches, Ebony, Fairy Wing
"There is nothing more dangerous than a man with nothing to lose, nothing to live for, and nothing to prove."
"Ní bhíonn chuile fhánaí ar strae"

Return to “A History of Things”