Lesson 1 - Introduction

Class led by Will Lestrange
Will Lestrange
Comet 140

Lesson 1 - Introduction

Post by Will Lestrange » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:01 am

This is the post where you can introduce yourself! As per Assignment One, this introduction should include:

-Your HOL name and House
-At least one of the following: What motivated you to take this class? What are you most looking forward to about learning this term? What piques your interest about Parseltongue?
-Anything else you feel we should know about you

(This introduction should be primarily in English!)
February Fortescue
Oakshaft 79

Re: Lesson 1 - Introduction

Post by February Fortescue » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:39 pm

Hello! I'm February Fortescue (or, as I have attempted to write my name in Parseltongue in Assignment One, Febi'uvairi Forteski'u!) I'm a second year Slytherin.

I love languages in general and tearing into them. Although my degree is in Social Work, I also studied French and Russian. Russian doesn't have many English cognates, and one of the very few things I remember how to say is, "I speak the Russian language very well!" which is silly, because I definitely don't. I grew up listening to Mary O'Hara, who often sings in Irish Gaelic, and enjoy singers such as Cecil Corbel (she's French, but sings in a variety of languages, including the Japanese "Arrietty's Song") and and Franco Corelli.

My Patronus is an Occamy and I'm a Slytherin, so I tend to be drawn to snakes in general. I am looking forward to learning how to speak to snakes and get to know them better!
av and sig by Professor Fumei Spookie
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:56 am

-Your HOL name and House * Tarma Black of Hufflepuff -- (Professor Tarma Amelia Black)
-At least one of the following: What motivated you to take this class? What are you most looking forward to about learning this term? What piques your interest about Parseltongue? * I like snakes. I like animals. I like being able to communicate with animals. If this course helps me to do that, yay! But, the thing is, learning any language is like learning about the people of that language. The way the sentences are constructed, the thought/idea patterns are presented -- everything says a lot about the peoples of the language. So in addition to learning the speech of Parseltongue, I'll be learning about the 'culture' of that language.
-Anything else you feel we should know about you. * My name is Tarna Kura in Parseltongue. ^_^
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... image by Susan Seddon Boulet
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Emily Spencer
Oakshaft 79

Post by Emily Spencer » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:47 pm

Hi there, I'm Emily Spencer ( Enisli Spensur in Parseltongue), a first year Slytherin and newly minted Promising Student. I promise not to try to strangle Will for making me think so hard, although I may charge him a zillion galleons for all the aspirin I'm taking. Languages are not my forte', folks; the struggle is real.

So, why did I take this class then? I'm asking myself the same question right now *laughs* Seriously though, I like challenges, and I like Will's teaching method, so here I am, aspirin and all. Besides, as a Slytherin, it just seemed like the right thing to do. If a Gryffindor like Harry Potter can speak Parseltongue, then surely, I, a pureblood Slytherin, should have an equally easy time learning the language. Granted, Mr. Potter is a natural and I'm obviously not, but persistence is my middle name! Besides, I love learning new things; knowledge is power, after all. Yes, my inner Ravenclaw is showing.

I'm hoping, obviously, to learn Parseltongue (or at least enough of the basics not to erroneously insult a snake should I try to converse with it.) I'm also hoping to gain a new appreciation for languages, and maybe (though highly doubtful) that I have an affinity for languages after all. And as Tarma pointed out, learning the language of a people gives you a better insight into the people themselves, and as a major Criminal Minds fan, the psychology and make-up of people is right up my alley.
" Cissy, put the boys in the cellar! I'm going to have a conversation with this one, girl to girl."
Amy Darvill
No broom

Post by Amy Darvill » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:49 pm

Hi, I'm Amy Darvill (or Eni Darvusl), a first year Hufflepuff and struggling linguistics student as this class is showing me, lol. Seriously though, I jumped in headfirst because I saw Will was teaching this class and had so enjoyed his Unforgivables lesson that I signed on without even looking. So this class is a bit more challenging than I expected, but I will give it my best effort.

As an ooc response, I will also add that I really enjoy and respect when people add on to canon and offer creative expansion. This class might not fit into my particular wheelhouse of skills, but it does feed my imagination and give me a deeper appreciation of the subject matter. And frankly, I could probably use the refresher course on Phonics. I'm sure my niece would be happy to help me sound out words and figure out how they sound lol.

All I would ask is that I'm not required to pet the snakes. I think they're pretty, but the feeling of the scales does give me the heebie jeebies. Or hebi ʃebi in parseltongue!....I've just insulted them haven't I?
"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one." ~The Doctor

Return to “Parseltongue for Beginners”