Club Booths

Moderators: Prof. Sky Alton, Prof. Kendra Givens, Arianna Stonewater, Prof. Rorey Padfoot

Prof. Sky Alton
Twigger 90

Club Booths

Post by Prof. Sky Alton »

The club area is as noisy and bustling as all the ones that came before it. You can see a book fort with flags fluttering from the top, a table buckling under the weight of enticing puzzles and what appear to be severl huge, twelve sided dice moving around on their own (and intent on knocking people’s feet out from under them).

HOL has two official clubs, The Book Club and Hollers. You’ll find them on this very forum. They differ from departments in that they have more going on year round and very rarely offer house points: don't worry though, there are plenty of beans, awards and hoots (more about those later) for the gathering. There is no signup or membership requirement for either – stop by and dive into whatever takes your fancy! The same is true of Gathering and Games (not exactly a club but tagging along all the same): if there’s an event going on, you are very much welcome to drop by.
"Growing up doesn't have to mean I lose the cape, the faith, the dream. I'm so done with that... I'm taking it back."
(Av/sig by S. Elf)
Prof. Sky Alton
Twigger 90

Book Club Booth

The HOL Book Club welcomes you to turn the page for months of literary hijinks and fun!

We are a home for book lovers of every persuasion. Whether you like sharing your thoughts in a review or discussion, writing some fanfiction (or even something of your own creation) or enjoying some book themed art, we’re sure to have something for you.

If you’re in search of your next read, The Bookshelf has years’ worth of reviews from the HOL community for you to browse through; be sure to remember to add your own next time you read something interesting! If you like talking more broadly about fan theories, favourite characters or the like, you should dive into Between the Pages. For those of you who like to get creative, Quill and Ink (for writing) and Ink Splatters (for art) have a treasure trove of bookish prompts to get inspired by.

We also have regular activities to liven up your term. Flash Fiction is our micro story challenge where you have the chance to write the tiniest stories imaginable each week and earn yourself some beans as well. If you like to show off your knowledge, then our monthly Book Trivia is ideal for you: with a new fascinating theme every month and more beans to be won, what could be a better way to stretch your reader's muscles?

Starting in October, we're delighted to be welcoming you to a celebration of world-building. You will be able to visit the Bookshelf to discuss our first ever collection of ‘Spotlighted Books’: a carefully curated set of recommendations for books with fabulously put together worlds. If you prefer to explore why certain worlds appeal and how the authors manage it, there will be discussions on Between the Pages. Finally, Quill and Ink and Ink Splatters are teaming up to help you create your very own fictional world with a helpful guide and prompts that should take you step by step. There are awards to be won so find your adventurous side and come join us then!
"Growing up doesn't have to mean I lose the cape, the faith, the dream. I'm so done with that... I'm taking it back."
(Av/sig by S. Elf)
Prof. Sky Alton
Twigger 90

Holler's Booth

Welcome all from the HOLLERS Club!

Located in the "Clubs and Departments" section of the main HOL Forum, we offer something for everyone! Each month we post 3 puzzle challenges where you can earn HOOTS! HOOTS are our internal points system which mean you might win a shiny award from us!

We also have a scrap booking section to record your fond memories and assignments you're really proud of!

For you writers and graphic designers: step into our Creative Outlet for writing prompts, coloring activities, and more! Soon, our new Constrained Writing forum will be available to really challenge your thought process!
(Av/sig by S. Elf)
Prof. Sky Alton
Twigger 90

Gathering and Games Booth

Welcome to Gathering and Games!

G&G offers you a chance to kick back and relax with other HOLers in real-time, while playing some exciting (and at times devious) games. Not only does this mean you get to chat to people you might not ordinarily get to see, it’s also an awesome way to get to grips with the HOL chat (IRC). From elaborate rounds of hide and seek (20 questions style) to classics like Articulate, you should find a game that suits you!

This school year, we’ll be holding a G&G session every 2 months. They take place between 5 PM and 8 PM HOL-time (in order to make sure that as many people in as many timezones as possible can make it). You are welcome to come and go whenever you can. For more details on how to join us and also on the games we’ll be playing, please visit this thread. This is also where we’ll announce dates for upcoming sessions so keep an eye on it!

Our first session of the school year will be in October (date TBC) and we very much look forward to welcoming you to the Hogwarts Games Room!
(Av/sig by S. Elf)

Return to “Welcome Month”