What Is In A Name?

General Notices and Discussions

Moderator: Prefects

Shoshana Chalfin
No broom

Post by Shoshana Chalfin »

Shoshana Chalfin...

Well I chose my first name for two reasons:
1. I just really like the name Shoshana. It's so pretty!
2. It means the same thing as my middle name in real life. So it connected to me.

I chose my last name just because I liked it and I wanted to be original. No one else has my name in any form, so I think I succeeded there! :)
Lavender Emyrs
No broom

Post by Lavender Emyrs »

I chose my first name because I like the scent. It's a pleasing smell.
My last name comes from Merlin. I love the BBC show and have read some Arthurian Legends.
Britin Hale
No broom

Post by Britin Hale »

My name is purely fandom related. =P

Britin = A mash up of 2 different characters I fell in love with from a tv series I fell in love with (though long since complete).
Hale = Surname of a character from the show Teen Wolf that I am also in love with. =P
Gryffindor Graphics Club | The Spice Squad
Amelia Redbloom
No broom

Post by Amelia Redbloom »

I wish I had a better story for my name, but I really don't! I've always liked the name Amelia, and Redbloom just sounds like a good HP last name. I just came up with it by looking out my window, seeing flowers blooming, and then looking at my bookshelf and seeing a red book. (I think it was a Lemony Snicket book.) And that's how my name came to be!
Autumn Oakenshield
No broom

Post by Autumn Oakenshield »

Hello, I think this is my first post!
My name is pretty simple.
Autumn is my favourite season.
Oakenshield is the last name of Thorin, a Dwarf in The Hobbit who is the descendant of the King Under the Mountain. I chose it because it sounds nice though! I do love Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit too!
Kerryn Knight
No broom

Post by Kerryn Knight »

Kerryn means "dark."

In a way, my name means "dark knight." I like that.
Kailey Jones
No broom

Post by Kailey Jones »

My full name:

Kailey- My youngest cousins name
Annabelle- A random, fancy girl name
Elizabeth- Another random fancy girl name
Hermione- My fave HP charachter's name
Granger- My fave HP charachter's last name
Jones- Random Surname
(\___/)
(='-'=)
(")_(")
Luna Von Überwald
No broom

Post by Luna Von Überwald »

First post!! :lol:
Luna (means Moon in spanish) is one of my oldest nicknames on the web. I just really love all about it and I feel really attracted by astronomy so... yeah.
And the surname... I recently discovered the Discworld Universe thanks to my boyfriend and I really love Angua von Ãœberwald... So I mixed both and... ta-da~~~ xD
Natasha Wynterborne
No broom

Post by Natasha Wynterborne »

I picked Natasha because I think it sounds very feminine and romantic, and Wynterborne because I love the name Winter and like how those two sound together.
avatar & banner by the amazing Fumei
Kashmir Robin
No broom

Post by Kashmir Robin »

I chose Kashmir because I love the country and their culture. Plus I wanted a name starting with K for some reason.

Robin because one of my friend's nickname is Robin, and I like that name so, Kashmir Robin was born.
Michelle Erickson
No broom

Post by Michelle Erickson »

Michelle-Female form of Micheal/Michael-The Arch Angel/God's Right Hand Man- My middle name I never use, it's always just M on legal forms too.

Erickson-Patrynomic-Erick's son or son of Erick-My stepdad's last name but not mine. [He and my sister spell it with an E instead of an O].

They wanted a realish name and I've always wanted to carry my stepdad's name but I like my last name too much to change it. And I could never see me answering to a truly fake name so I chose Michelle Erickson.
"You could be a greater hero than you know. So be kind, do good, and change the world. Because you are capable of that.

The Doctor is Watching."
Livia de Athenais
No broom

Post by Livia de Athenais »

My first name, Livia, I took from a character in I,Claudius. I chose it because it is similar to my actual name, and because I like the character. The last name, de athenais, I took from a famous mistress of Louis XIV. I have a fondness for famous mistresses because they often seem so much more interesting than the Queens. I knew going in that I wanted my name to be a reflection on my love of history, but I didn't want it to be obviously so with something like Lucy Boleyn.
Selene Granger
No broom

Post by Selene Granger »

Of course, my surname represents my passion for Hermione Granger, the characters of HP's books that best represents me. Selene is one of my favorite names for girl in Italian (together with Martina, Elena, Alice, Agata), but it is also the name of an archaic deity that you can find either in Greek mythology or Roman religion (but for the last one, the name of the deity changes from Selene to Luna, Latin for "moon").

If you do not know anything about Selene and you are quite interested, try to have a look here:

Ooops, outside link removed -- suggestion to go to Wikipedia and look up Selene! - Tarma
Last edited by Selene Granger on Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaimana Yuki Lee
No broom

Post by Kaimana Yuki Lee »

I lived in Hawaii for eight years and had fallen in love with the name Kaimana which means "the power of the ocean" in Hawaiian. I also found a new love in Korean Dramas and came across a character that stuck with me from the show "Tree of Heaven," where I got my middle name Yuki. It means snow in Japanese. Lee came from a friend's first name.
Jodie Sully
No broom

Post by Jodie Sully »

The surname or last name I choose is from a character in a favorite TV show, Dr Quinn, medicine Woman. Sully is my favorite character on the show. Jodie iis because when I was signing up and thinking of a first name I thought of a friend who appears to be happy and cheerful a lot. I noticed in my HOL ID the first part is jo which makes me think of JK Rowling. :)
~Snufflez~

Second Year Hufflepuff
Bia Rodrigues
No broom

Post by Bia Rodrigues »

My name is Bia - pronounce is Beea - because it was supposed to be my real life name, but mum decided for smth else.
Rodrigues is my long time passed away greatgrandfather family name.
Yes, it's portuguese to the core :-)
"Where they are just and loyal, those patient Hufflepuffs are true and unafraid of toil"
Patricia Cleary
No broom

Post by Patricia Cleary »

By comparison, mine probably looks pretty silly! But Patricia Cleary is a feminized tribute to my favorite hockey player, the incredibly perfect Patrice Bergeron. He's pictured in my avatar and signature. Bergeron's full last name is actually Bergeron-Cleary, but that's too long to fit on the back of a jersey, so he just goes for the one. (The full name is engraved on the Stanley Cup.) He's a wonderful fella and I could gush at you for hundreds of words about why, but I'll spare you ;) I thought it might be a fun name, plus it's one I'm likely to remember since it holds significance for me :)
Last edited by Patricia Cleary on Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Bergeron! Bergeron! In Game 7! And the Bruins win the series!"

Hufflepuff+Year Two+Let's do all the things!
Nico Coer
No broom

Post by Nico Coer »

I've been using Nico Coer or Nicolette Coer in HP fandom since 2001?

And the reason I started using it in the first place:

So, When I picked out the Screen name Nicolette Coer I was 13. Coer was a misspelling, initially, of Couer. And though part of my reasons for Nicolette was that my middle name is Nicole, Another, Significant part it waa because of the following story. (It’s a Medieval French Romance in the chantefable style, though I was introduced to it slightly differently.)

Nicolette et Aucassin

In a Kingdom in What we now know as France, there was a duke Who had a son named Aucassin. He was, of course, Handsome, but he wasn’t terribly concerned with the bravery and honor expected of him for his own sake. He did his duty, but that was not where his heart lay- he much preferred to listen to music and hear tales from bards and jongleurs.

One day, his father’s men returned with slaves, prisoners of war from their battles with The Saracens. They were trophies of their contribution to the reconquista in northern Iberia. [Note: By the time this story was written, Saracen was used in Europe not just to describe those of Syrian Decent, but also followers of Islam in North Africa and Iberia.] They were forced to convert to Christianity and put to work in The Duke’s castle.

One day, Aucassin was strolling about the castle, and spied a beautiful Moorish girl. She was of the slaves brought back as spoils. A relationship, though, develops, and He falls deeply in love with her- so much so that he refuses to be knighted and go to war for his father unless he allows them to marry. The Duke is displeased by this, and as a punishment for the lovers separates them. Afterall, his only heir mustn’t married a Saracen Slave Girl. Nicolette is trapped in a tower, and denied access to Aucassin.

Through her own brilliance and ability, she escapes. But knowing she could not stay and be free, she disguises herself in a shipment headed to an Iberian port and flees to her homeland. Once there, she made her way to lands still held by her people, where her true Identity is revealed. She is actually a princess of a Moorish kingdom. For a while she tries to return to her life, but it is dull, and lonesome. There was little let to her to challenge her mind, or to test her ingenuity.

One day, she spies a traveling group of performers, and their sight convinces her she can stay here no longer- Her heart is instead with the one she loves. So she dresses as a bard [edit: or jongleur, or trubador, or or or], and thus also as a man, and goes with the group when they leave. She has many adventures, and is daring and bold, facing and defeating danger, as she travels ever closer to her lover’s lands.

In the mean time, Aucassin faces some not so dangerous conflicts- including a food fight siege while fighting in his father’s name. He also is taught humility when he faces a group of shepherds that point out his misconceptions about them.

Nicolette, disguised, arrives in the Duke’s Court. She performs for the court, and tells a strange tale- one in which two lovers are separated, and the maiden faces danger to be reunited, disguised, with her lover. Aucassin hears this, and realizes that it is his own story being told- and that this must be Nicolette!

They reunite in the forest. Here, the “originalâ€￾ ends, though other accounts add in other adventures- including a trip to the summerlands/land of the fae, Nicolette facing down feats of both wit and strength, and having many travels until they receive word that the Duke has passed, and they can return so that Aucassin can claim his birthright.

~FIN~

Even in the original, it transformed and turned on head many of the conventions of the romance tale. It turned gender roles and class roles on their heads, and in some ways mocked the very narrative of romance fiction. The Princess is the hero and antagonist, while her lover is the one who is passive, progressing only in ways that make him yet more suitable to her. (For contrast, I suggest looking at snow white, where she is primarily passive and in her “exileâ€￾ becomes hard working and Domestic.)
~ Obvious Ravenclaw is Obvious ~

It was close, but this time the inner eagle would beat out the inner snake.
Theia Bondevik
No broom

Post by Theia Bondevik »

Well, I got Theia from the Greek goddess of shining light and sight. I saw (no pun intended) it as irony seeing that in real life, I have terrible eyesight.

Bondevik came from my favourite anime, Hetalia. Bondevik was a rumoured human surname (because hetalia is basically a show personifying countries) for one of my favoured characters, Norway.
Rilla James
No broom

Post by Rilla James »

Well, I have to admit that I am unimaginative...
Bertha Marilla Blythe is one of my favourite fictional characters ever, and in books she is known as Rilla, thus, my name was born! I love this name, and I really can't imagine being anything else.
There, now you know the story of my name, now I want to know yours!

Rilla Blythe

Return to “The Great Hall”