What Is In A Name?

General Notices and Discussions

Moderator: Prefects

Sherry Black
Oakshaft 79

Post by Sherry Black »

We have a topic for this in the Gryff common room, and it's always a lot of fun and very interesting. Especially with all the ickle firsties arriving with such intriguing names! I love hearing all the stories on how people chose the name for their HOL persona. One of my personal favorites is Airemay Speare.... but she'll have to tell that story. /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

How did I come to be Sherry Black? Well, unfortunately my story is not nearly as interesting as Airemay's. My real life name is Sherry (I can't imagine people calling me something else- I'd be too confused!), and Sirius Black is one of my favorite characters in the HP series. I felt under pressure to choose a name when signing up for HOL, wasn't properly prepared to create a name, so that was the first thing that popped in my mind. And after a year of finding my niche here at HOL, I'm not about to change my name now! /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

So, where did YOUR HOL name come from??

*makes self comfy in large overstuffed chair*
Sherry Black, Gryffindor House, Prefect 2002-03
HOL Head Girl 2002-03
Bella Bizkit

Post by Bella Bizkit »

I really don't like my name any more, I didn't pick it `cause of the band but I thought it was a cool way of spelling on of my fav kinds of food! My real name is Belinda So the nick name from Belinda is Belle or Bella. Like you Sherry I had no Idea on what my name was going to be, I think Vegeta's Queen would have been a better name?!? (J/K) /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />
Athena O'Neal

Post by Athena O'Neal »

My name... oh it's a long story. Firstly my surname comes from a book and it's the same as the heroine's. As for «Athena», it's origins can be found in a summer camp where I had had a wonderful time. We were divided into teams and mine was called Athena. It was the team with the biggest in age, girls. The boys's one was called Homer and... and... Anyway I loved this camp!!! I'll never forget the girls from Athena 6!!!
Izmeina Ved'Kara
No broom

Post by Izmeina Ved'Kara »

[color=105010]

What does my extraordinarily exotic and erudite name mean?
Well, well well. That is just my snakie little secret but thanks to my friend Ludo Bagman I do have a sack of thirty silver sickles for the bestest guess.

/unsure.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":unsure:" border="0" alt="unsure.gif" /> /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" /> /unsure.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":unsure:" border="0" alt="unsure.gif" />

[/color]
Izmeina Ved'kara Rienzi
[color=105010]
"Where there is the tree of Knowledge, there is always Paradise - so say the most ancient and the most modern serpents"
[/color]
Prof. Nina Atlas
No broom

Post by Prof. Nina Atlas »

Very interesting! Well, my first name is Really Nina also! As for Atlas, well he was a mythology figure who held the world on his shoulders. Thats how I feel sometimes, like i've got the world on my shoulders. So I picked Prof. Nina Atlas to be my name. Its not very unique or anything.
Professor Nina Atlas
HP Book Analysis professor
http://www.geocities.com/HpBookClassImage
Lilly Alessa Lupin
No broom

Post by Lilly Alessa Lupin »

Hello there /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Mmh, how I got my name?? Well,a ctually it isn´t very difficult.

I´ve chosen my last name as "Lupin" because I love book no. 3 and I developed a fancy for Professor Lupin /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> He is a real interesting person and so I decided to "steal" his name.

My first name is a mix of my cat´s name (yes, she is really called Lilly /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> )
and the name of Harry´s mother.
And finally the name "Alessa"... it caught my eyes somewhere in a book. I liked it and so I took it /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />
Lilly Alessa Lupin
Hufflepuff 2nd year
Wand: 9 inches, Oak, Unicorn hair

"Humans have a knack for choosing precisely the things that are worst for them."
Alcyone Bay
No broom

Post by Alcyone Bay »

Why Alcyone Bay...

Alcyone (pronounced Al-SA-yo-nee) is a character from a tragic Greek mythology story. And it's quite a long story so...if you wanna know, look for it in the Net. /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Anyways, Alcyone is also one of the seven Pleiades sisters, daughters of Atlas (of Greek mythology origins, too). The Pleiades are also the brightest stars in the constellation of Taurus.

So why did it become my name? I loved it from the time I first heard it. Also it's sort of a combination of my name and that of someone special. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

The surname Bay is taken from the last name of the Med-jai leader from The Mummy movies, Ardeth Bay. The Med-jais are so cool! /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

That's all!

~alcy
ALCYONE BAY, al090
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen." - Albert Einstein
Amelie Felton
No broom

Post by Amelie Felton »

I chose the first name Amelie because I heard it when someone was talking about the French movie, and I thought it was really cute. I also noticed that Mel could be a nickname from it, and since that's what my friends call me sometimes (my real name's Melissa), I stuck with that. /happy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="^_^" border="0" alt="happy.gif" />

I got my last name from Tom Felton (Draco Malfoy) because I love the little guy. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />
Amelie Felton | am310 | Gryffindor
Signature image made by Amatsu Tenrai
Prof. Illyaster Neverwhere
No broom

Post by Prof. Illyaster Neverwhere »

Illyaster is a character from my favourite book, which is written by Neil Gaiman.

Neverwhere is the name of that book. : )

Neverwhere has been my online name for over six years now, I can't imagine being anyone else. *G*

Illyaster is also another name for the Philosopher's Stone. Cool, neh? : )
Goodbye.
Malien Clementielle
No broom

Post by Malien Clementielle »

Malien is a name that I made up (until I found out I really didn't cuz later I found it in a baby names website), and Clementielle...well...

I'm a clement person, so that's where Clement came from, and elle means "she" in French. I just put in the "ti" to merge the words together. So Clementielle roughly means "she who is clement", though I could be wrong...
Malien Clementielle-Telcontar|Ravenclaw Prefect|ma074
Chocolatier|NOT the Queen of Ghana|Indigo Idealist
The Third Sistah

P r e p p y ! M a l i e n
Celestia Starr
No broom

Post by Celestia Starr »

My name came out of a project I did in Grade 7. I had to create a Greek myth, including a new god or goddess of my own invention. Poof! Celestia was born! /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> It was a very long myth, but I still remember most of it. Anyways, then I added the 'Starr' to the end because I felt like I needed a surname, and it's been my internet nick and my pen name for poetry, stories, and Star Trek fic ever since. /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

~Cele
An eagle can fly with 8 pounds of food.That's ALOTTA muffins! :)
Eagle Pride!!! Preppy!Cele
Clover O'Riely

Post by Clover O'Riely »

My name is Clover O'riely. Clover Because my dad said i was going to be lucky and O'riely cause i am Irish and i cant help that!
/biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />
Artemis Beoulve
No broom

Post by Artemis Beoulve »

Aretmis, of course, is the Goddess of the Hunt and Moon in Greek Mythology. Sort of like a tomboy figure so I can pretty much relate /happy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="^_^" border="0" alt="happy.gif" />

Beoulve is the last name of the protagonist in my favorite of the Final Fantasy series: Final Fantasy Tactics (Ramza Beoulve). Awesome game by the way! /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />
Belle Black
No broom

Post by Belle Black »

well, my name at hol is belle black
the belle came from my email address, which my exboyfriend chose for me way back about 8 years ago because of belle from beauty and the beast. i am a disney fan.

the black came from sirius black- i love book 3 and i picture sirius to be this really handsome guy so i chose his last name.

then i realized that one of the characters on days of our lives (the soap opera that i watch is named belle black- her real name is isabella)

so sometimes on the boards i show up as isabella black, my name on the old forum was isabella black but when it changed over i just kept the belle black. i love the name isabella however, so sometimes i still use it like in my signature.
Isabella Black, Hufflepuff House
"look, there she goes- that girl is so peculiar. I wonder if she's feeling well. With a dreamy, far off look, and her nose stuck in a book. What a puzzle to the rest of us is Belle" Newbies are my passion...
Prof. Darlene Baker
No broom

Post by Prof. Darlene Baker »

When I chose my HOL name, I actually chose a whole personal. I based it all on a character from a story idea I was working on. It was one of my few pieces that had a real "fantasy" feel with royalty and dragons. It seemed obvious that I use it. But I didn't really have a name. Darlene kinda came from "Darling," a nickname I was using until I picked a character name. I was stuck so I kinda just threw Baker onto the end of it. I like the simple, humble nature of "Baker."

I've become rather fond of my name.
Zerah Mandragoran
No broom

Post by Zerah Mandragoran »

I've called myself zerah on irc for about 5 years, and it became my online personality after a while. I think it is from greek of roman mythology, but I don't know what she was. (If anyone knows, please PM me, I've tried to find out for ages, but I can't fin her anywhere...)

I first thought of using a a HP name as a last name, Lupin is my fav. caracter so it would probably have been that. But so many had it already that I wanted something all mine. Mandragoran is a name I found in the Wheel of Time books. al'Lan Mandragoran is a really interesting caracter. He is seemingly hard as stone and a warrior at heart, but sometimes he shows his soft sides (Wich he strongly tries to deny). I thought it was a really cool name, so I chose it. Wheel of time are also my favourite books (with HP as a very strong 2. place) and I wanted to have a little connection to them.

-Zerah Mandragoran
(The ice cold warrior godess of somethong...????? Nah...)
Anabelle Reprufius
No broom

Post by Anabelle Reprufius »

Hmmm... Can't really explain my name too much...

I used to write fanfic, and the new teacher's name was going to be Anabelle Prufius but then Professer Prufius sounded strang so I added Re to the beginning. I heard about HOL on the site I was posting my fanfic at so I decided to use that name on here.

How I came up with it to begin with, I can't really explain. It just sort of popped in my head while I was brainstorming and grew on me.
Anabelle Reprufius.an084.Slytherin prufius@hotmail.com
Kat Shields
No broom

Post by Kat Shields »

Really interesting ways to get a name.

My story.
I always liked cats. My first email address was catnip88@yahoo.com. It doesn't even exist anymore... anyways, it was cuz i liked the effect catnip had on cats. then i figured i could call myself cat, but that was just too plain and common, so i settled with Kat cuz it's neat. Shields came from my sister cuz i need a last name to go with Kat. i asked her for a last name and she said that cuz she was reading her sailor moon comics.

So that's my 'original' story....hehehe.
<span style='font-size:10pt;line-height:100%'>*Kat Shields* Slytherin*ka132*Trout Slyth*Exitus Acta Probat*I'm HOL Positive*Owner of Alli the Kitty*<33 Taia*</span>
Irix Nuit
No broom

Post by Irix Nuit »

Warning: geek alert ! /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

Irix is the real name of my cat alter-ego /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

The cat received her name when I used to be a big fan of Silicon Graphics computers (Irix is the SGI version of Unix) I consider it a good female cat name, because it's very feminine (or so I thought; many people appear to be unsure of my gender !) it's a name of a beautiful flower, with X at the end, which is very good for cat names, because cats like the X (ks) sound.

Nuit is
1) a name of the Egyptian goddess of stars and sky (Nut is an alternative spelling)
2) night in French
Irix Nuit ~ ir008 ~ Slytherin
Kadiah Bryll
No broom

Post by Kadiah Bryll »

I love having the option to rename myself /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

My name has a long, but boring story. I play the computer game The Sims, and I always like to give my sims names that aren't... normal. I usually use a name site that tells you what sort of personality your name dictates. I found Kadiah on there as a Hebrew name, and I kinda liked the personality, so I made a sim, whose now my favorite sim /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> When the time came to pick a name here, Kadiah was the first to jump to my mind. The last name, Bryll, was a name that came up as a google search for Jewish surnames. Apparently there were quite a few Brylls in Ireland.

What's odd is that I can't find references anywhere to the name Kadiah except at that one name site. Gotta wonder if they didn't make it up /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Kadiah Bryll | ka309 | Reserve Prefect | HBC Moderator | AS Staff

Return to “The Great Hall”