What Is In A Name?

General Notices and Discussions
Nodoka Phoenix
No broom

Post by Nodoka Phoenix » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:54 am

Nodoka is Japanese for 'tranquil' or 'peaceful' and I think that is quite fitting, I follow the Japanese path of Shinto.
Phoenix is not only my favorite mythological animal, but is a creature born of itself when it dies, symbolizing transformation, of which y life has gone through much in the last few months
Perpetua Phoeinxfire
No broom

Post by Perpetua Phoeinxfire » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:00 am

My HOL name came from a name generator site. I was having a hard time trying to come up with a name, and so I asked a friend of mine to help me. She then sent me a link to a Harry Potter name generator. I played around with using just my first name or first and last names, but didn't find any really interesting ones, so I changed the spelling of my name to the more common spelling and found one that seems to suit me. I always like Fawkes so a name with the word phoenix seemed to work for me.
Prof. Arielle Lemoyne
Silver Arrow

Post by Prof. Arielle Lemoyne » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:08 pm

Well I got the idea for Arielle from the Little Mermaid, which was always one of my favorite movies, but I liked the spelling better as Arielle (rather than Ariel). Lemoyne came from a street name, and I thought they sounded good together. Also, there aren't any other Lemoyne's on HOL, so I liked that. Arielle Lemoyne :)
Charlaine Flimel
No broom

Post by Charlaine Flimel » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:59 pm

My name is pretty simple. I got the first name from Charlaine Harris. She wrote the southern vampire novels with Sookie Stackhouse. You might recognize it better from the show TrueBlood. I got Flimel from Nicholas Flimel. I didn't want to use an obvious Harry Potter name, but I wanted a name that had to do with it. So I chose to be a Flimel!
Ariel Costilow
No broom

Post by Ariel Costilow » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:53 am

I chose my name from two different things I had been active in that day.
My first name, Ariel, was chosen from my little sister talking non-stop at five am in the morning about the mermaid Disney princess, Ariel. At the time I was reading the excerpt from a Harry Potter book in which Grindylows were being discussed. Somehow, I combined the two subjects together and seen how they were slightly familiar. I then began messing around with the word Grindylow and came up with Costylow. That was my original tactic for the last name, but then I realized there was another ideal phrase. Costillo. I thought that was okay, but it just didn't have that touch. I played around with the spelling a bit and came up with Costillow. I felt a spark, but it just was not enough. I removed one l and ended up with Costilow. I knew then and there that it was the last name for me and jotted it down. I find the last name extremely magical, I don't know how or why, I just do. In the end, I combined both names and the result was Ariel Costilow. I think it's perfect and I absolutely love it. :)
Last edited by Ariel Costilow on Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gryffindor || First Year || ar944
"I'm barely breathing with a broken heart that's still beating."
b r o k e n l i f e h o u s e
Marie Campbell
No broom

Post by Marie Campbell » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:43 am

Marie is my middle name in real life and Campbell is my mother's maiden name. I decided to choose these names because my late grandfather's mother was named Marie which is why I don't want to drop it when I get married and my late grandmother's last name was Campbell. It just popped into my head when I signed up for HOL and Marie Campbell sounded good so I chose it.
Raven Luna
No broom

Post by Raven Luna » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:58 pm

Raven Luna was actually the name I chose while playing Second Life, an online social networking / game / learning environment. What's ironic is that I chose this name before I met Luna Lovegood and before I was sorted into Ravenclaw here at HOL.

I guess it was just meant to be. ;)
Kissa McMeow
No broom

Post by Kissa McMeow » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:05 pm

Interesting!

I chose Kissa McMeow because it sounded kind of cute... and I love cats. Kissa is the name of a Furuba (Fruits Basket) character I've always liked a lot, and it also happens to mean "cat" in Finnish, the language I'm learning at uni! And McMeow because I figured that "Meow" on its own would have sounded kind of silly :P
Lindsey Hyde Phoenix

Post by Lindsey Hyde Phoenix » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:03 pm

Oh dear.

Lindsey is my name for real.

Hyde is from That '70s Show.. you know grungy metal maniac with cool hair?

Phoenix is not from Harry Potter, but from River Phoenix.

I made my first HOL account almost the same, just formatted differently; and later lost access to it so I made this new one. So really I chose my name back when I was 13 or 14 years old. It seems like a huge distance!
Cory Kitsune
No broom

Post by Cory Kitsune » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:38 pm

Cory Kitsune is a really unexciting story. :blink: I was on AP and was making up a character for a RP and I wanted it to be a Neko, but I was bored with that so instead I looked up Kitsune, which is a being with the spirit of a fox infused in them. So i loved it and Kitsune became the name, My real name is Katie but I didn't want Katie Kitsune. Cory just seemed to fit easy with it so TADA! It's also my name for a straight forum site; it's a new site so I'm the only one in my house there =/ Gryffindor. [[Here I'm Slytherin!!]] :ph34r:

Cory Kitsune!

No outside links or advertising similar sites. -Cosmo
Last edited by Cory Kitsune on Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Naise Puentes
No broom

Post by Naise Puentes » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:22 am

:huh: Well , my name hasn't got so much of a history... <_<
I made a quiz of what guetto name I was supossed to get and it was MAYONNAISE and I love it so when I started my Hol year I made it shorter:
MayonNAISE
and Puentes because it means bridges in Spanish and I'm mexican and I know that it means Bridges and I love bridges :lol:
Oh! and also Naise 'cause it sounds like Ness of the book of Breaking Dawn wich I love :P and I guess that's it hehe

best wises
me
Blood for blood
----°----°-----°-----
You can't lose something you never had
Prof. Ignis Divine
No broom

Post by Prof. Ignis Divine » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:54 am

Well, Ignis Divine means Holy Fire and my ex boyfriend found this name for an online game and since I heard it I LOVE the sound of this name =)
Thought it would be something special and my old student name was ... well.... Bubbles was a bit odd ^^
So I changed completely to Ignis Divine
Lysandra Wells
No broom

Post by Lysandra Wells » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:00 am

Lysander is a name I have loved ever since I first encountered it in Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream. I was obviously delighted at learning that my favourite HP character, Luna Lovegood, went on to use the name for one of her sons. I am a girl, so I decided to use the feminine form Lysandra as my name. It means "Liberator of the People" in Greek, which is pretty cool. :)

While I could think of many an extravagant last name, I decided to settle on the simple surname Wells. It hints at a connection to Water, my favourite element, and balances out the name quite nicely. Still waters run deep.
Azarielle Doom
No broom

Post by Azarielle Doom » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:32 pm

I'm a bit of a geek, irl I play d&d and Dark Heresy with my friends, for one Dark Heresy adventure I created an assassin who I decided to name Azarielle Doom, when I was given the opportunity to create a HOL name I thought I'd use her name. It took me a while to come up with her name, for a while she was just The Assassin, but as her character developed I decided she should have a proper name, in her background she is from a fallen noble house so I thought Azarielle sounded appropriately posh as for Doom, I kind of have a Doomhamster theme running with other projects, I was partly tempted to name her after my WoW rogue and have her just called Doomhamster, but my friends decided that was lacking imagination, and I agreed, in the end :P so her surname is just Doom.
My HOL character isn't an assassin, I answered the sorting hat questions honestly as myself, I took her name, but didn't think to take on her character for here.
Anyways, that's about it.

***Doom***
Rosalin Wood
No broom

Post by Rosalin Wood » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:55 pm

I choosed Rosalin Wood. Because I love nature and all around it. In the name Rosalin is a Rose (I have a lot of roses in my garden, I mean really lots of, next to lavender) and in surename Wood of cause Wood from Trees, because if I have some time (that's really rare...) I make an trip into the forest. It sounded beautifull and I thought it fit :)
A Name with more sea could fit more, but I think this name is really ok :)
Aaron Kingsley
No broom

Post by Aaron Kingsley » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:13 am

well, my first name is actually aaron but for some reason i chose it here too i thought it sounded good with kingsley. I took the first name of the auror Kingsley Shacklebolt because he was one of my favorite aurors in the books.

"You might belong in Gryffindor,
Where dwell the brave at heart,
Their daring, nerve and chivalry
Set Gryffindors apart"

Classes signed up for: N/A

Class hoping to sign up for the 2010 spring term: Defense against the Dark Arts, Dragons, Charms, HOL 101, Auror-Traing Level One
Prof. Tom Foster
Oakshaft 79

Post by Prof. Tom Foster » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:34 pm

Well my name isn't that interesting. I chose Tom because I like the name but also because of Tom Riddle from Harry Potter. And Foster, I like the last name Foster, but also it sounds a little bit like `Potter` which is why I chose it. So I put them both together `Tom Foster`.
Hermione Nadine Gillonder
No broom
Location: Ravenclaw, values intelligence, creativity, learning, and wit!

Post by Hermione Nadine Gillonder » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:22 am

I chose Hermione Nadine Gillonder for my HOL name, because I don't know. I think that name fits me. I love Hermione, Nadine, and Gillonder. Hermione, of course, from Harry Potter series and she's so smart and my character is like that. And Nadine, that name is almost similar like my name. Gillonder, I just love that name. I just have that name stuck in my head.
So here I am, Hermione Nadine Gillonder! :)

"Here in wise old Ravenclaw,
if you've a ready mind,
Those of wit and learning
will always find their kind."

[/size][/color]
Annabelle Avril
No broom

Post by Annabelle Avril » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:41 pm

Hi there. :)

Annabelle is a name that a very like. I choose this name because I like the sound of the pronunciation.
Avril is my actual last name. Avril mean april in french. I'm a French Canadian.

Annabelle:
Origin:Hebrew
Meaning:Grace; favour

Origin:Latin
Meaning:Lovable
Katrina Lovegood
No broom

Post by Katrina Lovegood » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:27 am

I chose Katrina because I like the name, and I generally like to keep my privacy online so didn't feel comfortable using my real name.

Lovegood is due to the fact that I loved Luna - she was always true to herself and her beliefs no matter what anyone else thought of her - something I never had the courage to do during my High School years and I respect her for that.

Return to “The Great Hall”