What Is In A Name?

General Notices and Discussions
Marcella Warrick
No broom

Post by Marcella Warrick » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:41 pm

Well, I could not decide on a name, so I decided to go to a name website that listed name meanings and origins and such. I searched and searched with nothing that I particularly liked.

I looked for about 15 minutes and still could not find anything I really thought was me. So then I went to the name generator and just clicked around and then the name "Marcella" popped up. I looked at it and saw it was a feminine form of Marcellus, which was a form of Mark, and it had a little history.
It didn't really interest me all that much, except that I really liked the name. So then I decided to find a last name I thought had a ring to it.

Once again, I looked on the internet for last names, and found Warrick. It kind of reminded me of Rhode Island, and I decided I liked the name Marcella Warrick.
|| Hufflepuff || First Year || ma962 ||
Callidora Doyle
No broom

Post by Callidora Doyle » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:34 pm

Well I was reading over my favorite house of Blacks, and discovered the wonderful name Callidora. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is one of my favorite authors and it is a very Irish surname.
Thus, Callidora Doyle was born!
|Made by Mairead Falcourt|
| Slytherin | 1st year | 11' Willow with Phoenix feather core |
Pandora Kirkus
No broom

Post by Pandora Kirkus » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:44 pm

The name Pandora came from a song i like called Pandora by Madina Lake. /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> I just thought it was an interesting name.

And I got Kirkus from... well I dunno. haha It just popped into my head when I had to choose the last name /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

1st year | Ravenclaw | 14" Teak with a Vampire Fang core | pa818
Animagus: Wolf
Patronus: Dragon
Xanthe Ivy
No broom

Post by Xanthe Ivy » Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:57 pm

I was watching the Tony Awards, as I do every year. There were two people in one category; one girl was named XANTHE, and the other IVY. Combining the two first names I created a First and Last name.

Not to mention XANTHE IVY has a nice rhyming tone to it. Lol. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />
As Pina
No broom

Post by As Pina » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:15 pm

As is the first two letters of my real name and my surname is about a fruit in spanish, but it's my real surname.
Belladonna Caoimhe
No broom

Post by Belladonna Caoimhe » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:01 am

Belladonna Caoimhe is my name...Belladonna is Italian / Latin for beautiful and Caoimhe is for proud spirit...
Bees Kness and Bells spells
Harken to my tricky spell
To prove your brain is the size of a pea,
With everything you hear, you will agree

Belladonna Caoimhe, Muse of the Muses, Fairest of them all...
HOL Drama Club/HOL PPC/PPC Doll Maker/PPC Cheerleader/Day Dreamer/HOL Tolkien Society/PPC Golden Pal/The Roost/Ravenclaw Blue Eagles
Sakura Malfoy
No broom

Post by Sakura Malfoy » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:18 am

umm, i got Sakura from the TV show Naruto, and because Sakura is the name of the japanese girl that taught me japanese.
Malfoy, well, because i like bad boys /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />
Sakura Malfoy (Slytherin)
Prof. Samuel Dumbledore
No broom

Post by Prof. Samuel Dumbledore » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:23 pm

Well I have always liked Samuel, I even wanted to named one of my sons but the mother step in the middle of the way hahahahaha
For Dumbledore.......do I really have to explain it??? hahaha
*Cheers*

Sam
Oh Elbereth! Gilthoniel!
Recordamos aún, nosotros que habitamos
en esta tierra lejana bajo los Arboles,
tu luz estelar sobre los mares del Oeste
Phlox Flammula
No broom

Post by Phlox Flammula » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:04 am

One of my favorite things is making up characters and such, and within this 'harry potter' world, I thought I'd have a little fun with JK's style. She uses alot of latin, especially in spell casting, so I picked up a book of plant names and skimmed the whole thing until I'd found something that I liked. 'Phlox', in latin, is a kind of flame-colored flower, and also a kind of N. American flower genus and 'Flammula' is from 'flammulina' which is a kind of genus of a fungus. So, i guess I'm a kind of flame colored fungus...? /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />
Arini Primandani
No broom

Post by Arini Primandani » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:45 am

ARINI is a randomization from my real name. If you say A-REE-NEE for 1-2-3, thus my name is 2-1-3 /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> Primandani is coming from Prima, completed with -ndani which is indicating Indonesian girl's name.
thanks Helena for pimping my sig ;)
Shyan Leftpaw
No broom

Post by Shyan Leftpaw » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:41 am

Shyan just popped in my head as a name for an OC ( also my RP) i came up with a few years back, whom i just adore.( her real last name is Taugner) It being 5 letters long has meaning...though i don't want to get into that here. Leftpaw sounds dumb, but it has meaning too. Left, to signify the left hand path, (or just following my own path), as opposed to the right hand path, or religious goody-two-shoes-ness. Paw, because I love, eat, sleep, dream and AM all things wolves. /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />
Yvonne Muller
No broom

Post by Yvonne Muller » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:22 pm

I picked Yvonne Muller because it's my grandma's name. I thought I'd use it as a tribute to her, as she died 18 years ago from cancer when I was only 4.
Diana Lee
No broom

Post by Diana Lee » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:07 pm

Wow - first post here ever!. That's fun.

I picked the name Diana Lee just because I like the first name Diana. As for the last name, I checked some meanings of last names and such, and Lee was listed as a typical surname for British Gypsies. I'm kind of fascinated with their culture and so on, and the name was nice, too. So, I picked it.

Sorry, nothing too original from me.
Yoru Asanagi
No broom

Post by Yoru Asanagi » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:35 pm

Well, it doesn't mean that I pick Yoru Asanagi for no reason, but my friend give this to me...I really don't know what does it mean, since Yoru means Night in Japanese, and Asanagi means Morning Cutter
Jeff Denver
No broom

Post by Jeff Denver » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:57 pm

i picked Jeff because it was the first name that popped in my head and denver is what my pretend older sister is using, she is at this site too and i'm living at her place for the mo and i saw her on this site the other day and decided to sign up and be her younger bro on the site
Marguerite Davenport
No broom

Post by Marguerite Davenport » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:10 am

I got Marguerite from my most favorite movie Ever After. Davenport from another favorite movie POTC. Plus the sound great together. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />
Proud Member of the Sneer Squad & President of the Order of the Blanket
Proud D. A. MEMBER
Fifth-Year Slytherin Pure Blood

Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.
Auriel Granger
No broom

Post by Auriel Granger » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:40 pm

Well I choose my name from a Character I've drawn some years ago! And Granger? Well, Hermione is my favourite Character of course /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />!!!
May Lee
No broom

Post by May Lee » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:37 pm

I picked May Lee from the pronounce of my real name -Meili- /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />
>> Burn the evils of the world with brilliant truth <<
Portlin Bailey
No broom

Post by Portlin Bailey » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:14 pm

Well I made the name up but then I typed the name in google and I found out that that name really exists /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> Biley is the surname of a basketball player that came too my favorite basketball team /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />
"Look at me!"
Yeretzade Gonzalez
No broom

Post by Yeretzade Gonzalez » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:36 pm

I picked Yeretzade because that´s a name of a princess that drown purposely in a river when she knew that the man she lved died in a battle. And Gonzalez because that´s my surname.

*Silence is my language*,
*My heart is my guide*,
*And my friends are the light that always make me smile*.
thanks Helena Lunebay for the signature.

Return to “The Great Hall”