What Is In A Name?

General Notices and Discussions

Moderator: Prefects

Aiden Allery
No broom

Post by Aiden Allery »

Aiden is supposedly the most popular boy's name in my hometown. But I like the idea of girls with boyish names, hell, I have one.
Allery is my best friend's boyfriend's last name. He's British, and quite possibly one of my favorite guys. So I stole his last name. I don't think he'd mind.
| The universe is made of stories , not of atoms |
| Aiden | First-Year Ravenclaw | Storyteller |
Natalie James
No broom

Post by Natalie James »

Natalie-Ever since I read the story about the character Natalie McDonald I fell in love with the name. It is so pretty so I decided to use it here.
James-There are a few kids at my school with the last name of James, including my best friend. It is sort of a last name that goes with everything. When I put it with Natalie I loved the flow of the name.

And that is the story of how I picked my name. Its pretty boring but maybe someone in all of HOL will read it and read the story about Natalie McDonald. It broke my heart and I hope someone else will read it and know about her. I don't think I'm allowed to tell you where I found it because I'm not allowed to link outside HOL.

I can think of a lot more that I want to say but I probably will get in trouble because it is not relevant. 'Night Everyone!

Natalie James | na600 | RAVENCLAW!|

Sig n' Av Made by Wonderful, Talented, Patient Pyrus from Sig n' Av Palace! Thanks!
Calide Ross
No broom

Post by Calide Ross »

Calide - I basically wanted a name on HOL that wasn't very common and that I could also shorten to the nickname Cali. I actually went through the babyname book and played around with the idea of using the name Calista but it didn't really float. Then, I was listening to the song Collide by Howie Day and realised that I love the word collide, and I could easily make it Calide so I can still have Cali as a nickname. I basically made up my own name /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Ross - Ross is one of my favorite names for a guy, and as I went through a list of first names I had written down just cuz I felt like it, I felt like Ross seemed like it would make a good last name because it flows perfectly with Cali and Calide.
Gryffindor | Firstie | ca600 | Anti-Sockian | Ent's Unofficial Little Sis

"Viktor? Hasn't he asked you to call him Vicky yet?" -Ron
Caitriona Harman
No broom

Post by Caitriona Harman »

Caitriona - The name of my alter ego *grins*

Harman - The surname of my favourite family in my favourite book series!

Nice and simple.
Gemma Formbey
No broom

Post by Gemma Formbey »

My HOL name is basicly my nickname with a last name added on. Plus, I like my nickname, is sounds nice.
Allyssa Soar
No broom

Post by Allyssa Soar »

Well,my sis and I play Starfox...,we decided to make some characters to it,my name is for a character we made,she's a falcon,thats how she got her last name,
The first name started with an A cause my sis's name started with an A too /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> XD.
Tulojow Nagde
No broom

Post by Tulojow Nagde »

For me, the name was given to me by a Native American spiritual leader that taught me during high school. It translates roughly to Singing Young Eagle.
Last edited by Tulojow Nagde on Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes life gives us lessons sent in ridiculous packaging.
- Dar Williams
Never Headbutt A Unicorn!Image
Birdie Hale
No broom

Post by Birdie Hale »

Birdie is short for Bernidette, my middle name.

Hale is the surname of my descendants who came to America from Wales in 1763.
Made by Lady Marauder in Hogsmeade's ID Shop
Melyssa Birchwood
No broom

Post by Melyssa Birchwood »

It's nice to see I'm not the only family history buff at HOL. The main inspriation for my HOL name is an English-ized version of a family surname. The original name is from a European, non-English speaking branch of my family tree. After I "translated" it into English, I tweaked it a bit more for effect.

"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."
- Albus Dumbledore
Birdie Hale
No broom

Post by Birdie Hale »

Melyssa Birchwood wrote:It's nice to see I'm not the only family history buff at HOL.  The main inspriation for my HOL name is an English-ized version of a family surname.  The original name is from a European, non-English speaking branch of my family tree.  After I "translated" it into English, I tweaked it a bit more for effect.
Ah, so you're a Severus Snape fan too? I named my dog Severus.
Made by Lady Marauder in Hogsmeade's ID Shop
Alwyn Paow
No broom

Post by Alwyn Paow »

Let's see. When I signed up for HOL I'd just come back from art camp. My bunkmate's name was Alwyn and... well... I thought it was a really cool name that I wouldn't forget.
My last name, Paow, comes from a book I was reading at the time. Paow was the black dragon, the mediator. I love dragons so it just evolved into my last name.
By the way- I'm trying to get my friend to re-name his beast of a dog Hagrid. So far he has thwarted me. But one day, Rufus will be known as HAGRID!
I feel lost and alone, like an artichoke in the snow...
Gemma Miller
No broom

Post by Gemma Miller »

I thought I had my name all picked out when I started the sign up process, but changed my mind as soon as I'd started...
Gemma is something my mum calls me from time to time, and I knew that I would use the name (it's also the name from one of my favourite series of books).
Well, I'm not sure how I feel about the last name Miller - it was the first last name to come to mind when I decided that I didn't want to use the last name I had first picked out.
And so... Gemma Miller I shall be.
Cheers,
Gemma
Mahalia Naramore
No broom

Post by Mahalia Naramore »

Hmmm... Mahalia is the name of a girl that I was friends with in middle school who had, what I thought was, really cool dyed bright pink hair.

It was just awesome and she's kinda stuck with me. Plus her name just sounded cool too....

/biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

And Naramore... I just made up off the top of my head... It's sort of a mix between two names of other original characters I made on other boards...
Koharu Kun
No broom

Post by Koharu Kun »

I got the name from an anime. It was the first anime I ever got really into, and I've loved the name ever since I heard it. Koharu means 'little spring' in Japanese, and Koharu is the name of the only character I've ever rped with so far. As for Kun, I just liked the way 'kun' sounded after Koharu. I also liked how Koharu-san sounded, but decided on Kun because of the double 'k' initials.
Thank you, Ellad, at Hogsmaede's ID Card Shop, for my signiture!
Deja Infinitum
No broom

Post by Deja Infinitum »

Erm, actually, before I joined up for HOL, I was reading a Johnny Depp interview, and he had said that he loved the name of a company of his (I think it was a company.....), and it was called Infinitum Nihil, and he said the beauty of it was that when someone asked him what it meant, he could say absolutely nothing, because that's it's literal translation. So here I am, on HOL, signing up, and I have the words "Infinitum Nihil" fresh in my brain, so I was thinking about words, infinitum, infinity, forever, never, and then I was like "Again." So I was like, "Uhhhhhh." And then I remembered that nice little word (Isn't it French?), Deja. So.... Deja Infinitum. I just thought it was a unique name, and that if anyone ever asked, I could start talking about Johnny Depp. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />
Isabella Astiar
No broom

Post by Isabella Astiar »

I've always liked the name Isabella. It's just so pretty Well, the name itself means "pretty", so I suppose the name is forced to exude beauty.

And as for my last name, which I like very much, I stole it out of a book. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> I can't say that the book is one of my favorites, but I did love the author's creativity with the names, and Astiar just struck me as particularly cool.
Last edited by Isabella Astiar on Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Isabella Astiar
Elski Brightwater
No broom

Post by Elski Brightwater »

Elski is a name I came up with a long time ago. My real name is Ellen, and I had a friend in gradeschool who called me Elinski (and also the Elinator and a few other things, but now I'm rambling again...), and I thought of that one day when I needed a username for something. I wanted something shorter, though, and 'Elski' had a ncie ring to it. The rest, as they say, is history. (Or not.) I've used 'Elski' so often that it's not uncomman for my best friend to address me as such!

For a long time I put Notlin (not telling) or Noname in the last name section when sites asked for it, but a couple months ago I came up with Brightwater. It's very similar to, but not the same as, my Mother's maiden name. That's all I'm telling, for reasons or 'net saftey and all. Anyhow, it sounds much cooler than Notlin, eh? /happy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="^_^" border="0" alt="happy.gif" />

So now I just use that name for most things, even rp charecters, unless I want them to have a more conventional name, a name to match an ethnicity, or a name to say something about their personality, that sort of thing.
Last edited by Elski Brightwater on Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" When writing a novel that's pretty much entirely what life turns into: 'House burned down. Car stolen. Cat exploded. Did 1500 easy words, so all in all it was a pretty good day.' "
- Neil Gaiman
Forrest Lycus
No broom

Post by Forrest Lycus »

Well, Forrest Gump is probably my most favourite film ever! So my first name came directly from there and also i think it is just a cool name- my kid shall have a middle name Forrest for sure!

Lycus has two meanings really- 1) my character has a little wolf blood in him and i have always felt an affection for our wolfish friends, so it came from the term lycanthropy (the actual term for the ability to become animal/wolf like)
2) I also came across the term by accident on a page about the Telchines: the original inhabitants of the greek island Rhodes but the Gods killed them as they became dark wizards!
So my last name is not all that promising if you look at it for what my character would be like- he could be very dark indeed... /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />
/biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />
You’ll be the only one
’cause no one can deny
This love I have inside
And I’ll give it all to you
My love
My love, my love
My endless love.....:)
Sofia Silhouet
No broom

Post by Sofia Silhouet »

FIRST NAME: I picked Sofia because it is my real life first name, and it is very pretty (although I usually go by Sofi)
LAST NAME: I love the word silhouette, and I wanted to make my name sound more French (because I am French in real life), so I made it Silhouet (pronounced Sil-oo-ay).
Thanks to Cho Delacour @ Sig N Av Palace for my signature and avatar!
Wand: Unicorn Hair, Mahogany, 8 Inches
Kris Weasley
No broom

Post by Kris Weasley »

Well I got mine. My first name is Krista. My family calls me Kris so i got that for my first name. The last name is Weasley, because I love the Weasleys. They are so funny. I adore their last son Ron. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />
Siggy By Cho D.@ SignaturePalace
Ron:
Wish the lunch trolley would hurry up, I'm starving.

Return to “The Great Hall”