What Is In A Name?

General Notices and Discussions
Lissa Rain

Post by Lissa Rain » Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:35 am

ah the story of how i got my name....well. Lissa Rain. i first stumbled upon my first name when i was reading a newsies (newsies, 1899, strike against The world which was a newspaper back then...awsome movie!) fanfic, and the main character in it was named Lissa. I liked it because you dont just hear plain lissa's out there, you hear alissa, melissa, never just lissa which is why i liked it....i picked rain because, well, i love the rain, and i thought it was an awsome last name because i've never heard anyone use it in their name before....so ya i was kind of going for an original name. i think it is, others might not but...aww well /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> ~lissa rain~
Lilly Stargazer
No broom

Post by Lilly Stargazer » Mon Sep 06, 2004 6:02 am

my name wasn't too hard for me to pick out...IRL lilly has been a name i have always liked (even thought of it if one of my boys had been a girl) so that part was easy..as far as stargazer, i have always been interested in astrology and space so....stargazer it was /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />
BearSister to Tarma!
Thanks to Herms for my siggy!!
Lily Atair

Post by Lily Atair » Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:47 pm

the story behind my name? well, Lily has in my case nothing to do with Lily Potter.
It's an alteration of my real name.
I'm very intrested in Astronomy and I love JK Rowlings idea to give the members of the Black-family names of stars. So I took a name of a star for my name to: Atair is the brightest star in the constellation Aquila.
Prof. Audiaa Martin
No broom

Post by Prof. Audiaa Martin » Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:21 am

My name comes from something very ordinary that I happened to be looking at when I made up the name (you guess what it was). Audiaa is the feminine of audio, which means to listen or hear in Latin. Martin comes from Mars, the Roman god of war (and fertility and spring growth and the protector of cattle). So, my name reflects listening and war (but the listening comes first!)
~~Accio Brains!~~
HOL Pen Pal Club | Writing Workshop
Abigail Lupin
No broom

Post by Abigail Lupin » Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:53 am

Audiaa Martin wrote:My name comes from something very ordinary that I happened to be looking at when I made up the name (you guess what it was). Audiaa is the feminine of audio, which means to listen or hear in Latin. Martin comes from Mars, the Roman god of war (and fertility and spring growth and the protector of cattle). So, my name reflects listening and war (but the listening comes first!)
That's very interesting, Audiaa! One of these days I'm going to have to take Latin.... /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

'... and tiny little ears,' Luna was saying, 'a bit like a hippo's, Daddy says, only purple and hairy. And if you want to call them, you have to hum; they prefer a waltz, nothing too fast ...'
Phoenix Lumen
No broom

Post by Phoenix Lumen » Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:12 pm

I chose Latin as the language for my name, as when I go to college or university, I want to study latin. My name Phoenix Lumen, means Phoenix of Light, which I really liked.
Mawy Daigle
No broom

Post by Mawy Daigle » Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:32 am

Well Mawy is the first part of my religious name and means New or Renewed. I thought it was appropriate here as I am new now and each year I shall be renewed here. My last name, Daigle, is a name from back on my family tree. I like it and want to remember those that have passed before me.
Hugs,
Mawy
Ethan Malfoy

Post by Ethan Malfoy » Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:30 pm

I got my from a friend off an old Hogwarts, who died in a car accident about a year ago.

*It was so sad *

I know most people(well almost everyone), never uses their real name.So how did you come up with your name?

- Ethan /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />
October Jackson
No broom

Post by October Jackson » Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:57 pm

This is a great topic Ethan, I'm glad you've brought it up again! And that's such a sad story but it's lovely that you've taken your friend's name as your HOL name /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

There's an original version of this topic with hundreds of replies, waaaay down the Great Hall. I'll bump it up and maybe a mod can merge the topics.

EDIT: There are two of these topics with hundreds of replies!! I'll bump the other one, it has more recent posts on it.

~ Toby
Last edited by October Jackson on Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"His name was... was..." Hagrid swallowed.
"Can't you write it down?" Harry suggested.
"Nah, can't spell it. All right -- Voldemort™." He shuddered. "Don't make me say it again -- it's trademarked. Do you want me to get sued?"
(Bandersnatch, TLC comments)

October Jackson
No broom

Post by October Jackson » Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:02 pm

Bumping this back up as the topic has been raised again /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

(and, this was my original reply /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> )
Last edited by October Jackson on Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"His name was... was..." Hagrid swallowed.
"Can't you write it down?" Harry suggested.
"Nah, can't spell it. All right -- Voldemort™." He shuddered. "Don't make me say it again -- it's trademarked. Do you want me to get sued?"
(Bandersnatch, TLC comments)

Ethan Malfoy

Post by Ethan Malfoy » Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:30 pm

Whoa.

I guess I didn't look that far back in the topics. If I saw it, I wouldn't have made this topic.

Sorry for the mistake.

And thanks October, for noticing this for me.

- Ethan /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />
Abbigail WrainRight
No broom

Post by Abbigail WrainRight » Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:58 pm

Here's how I got my HOL name;

It's from my made-up character. However, I first intended it to be spelled with only 1 B. I was thinking of my best friend when I typed it in, so now I'm stuck with it. But it makes my name unique from all the others, like Abbigail Lupin and everyone else! /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />
Boris Bigglesworth
No broom

Post by Boris Bigglesworth » Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:29 am

I've merged the two topics, as Toby so rightly points out, this one already existed.

Cheers /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />
Kestra Clawn
No broom

Post by Kestra Clawn » Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:23 pm

I write a lot of stories. I always try to start my stories by first picking a name for the main character. Then I base their personality on that name. Kestra Clawn is a very whimsical and mystical name I think. Basically she's like a bird and she likes to soar, hence Kestra (Kestrel the bird) and Clawn (claw or talon of a bird). /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

~Kestra~
Amber Bach
No broom

Post by Amber Bach » Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:25 pm

When I registered I thought it wouldn't really matter which name I'd choose. I certainly didn't think I would be using it for so many years, so I basically picked the first names that I thought of and liked, and didn't try to put any deeper meanigs in them.

I chose the name Amber because I was a huge fan of The Tribe (TV program) at the time. I liked the character and I liked the name, so I picked it.

The last name was difficult to choose. I would have liked the first and last name to fit together but I didn't like any of the English last names that came to my mind.

[Storytime] I was waiting for my friend outside a music classroom. I had printed the Entry Exam questions on a paper and was trying to figure out what they were asking me to do in the first place (I had never heard of URL before... what FAQ?). When my friend came we went to the computer class and I started to write my answers to the questions. Then I only had to pick the last name. And I only could think of Bach, and that was it then. [/Storytime]

I never realised the name could have been in my own language. It would have been easier to choose and made me more original. And of course, the chances are that I could pronounce it right, if it was my own language /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

But Amber Bach it is, now and forever. Sometimes (rarely) I don't like it but generally I do. It's pretty short, which is good because my real name is long. I have been used to it, having signed posts and emails as Amber for nearly three years. I can't imagine having any other name.

~Amber

ps. I have something to say for myself on the URL thing - the Finnish word for it translates as address. How could I have known it's not simply 'address' in English too... /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />
A Bach | am203 | Fifth Year | Ravenclaw | Salsa Squad Head

~Soaring high above the rest~
Tambaqui Balthazar
Moontrimmer

Post by Tambaqui Balthazar » Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:00 am

hmmm I thought I have replied in this thread, but apparantly I haven't so here goes.

Tambaqui: This originated from the reality show Survivor, in the series Survivor: The Amazon, there was a tribe name called Tambaqui and I actually liked the name because it very cool and unique. I am also fascinated by the Amazon, it such a beautiful location and I want to visit it one day.

Balthazar: My last name was originally Potter, from Harry Potter and when I got the Professorship 'Potter' wasn't allowed and I wanted to keep Tambaqui, so I was looking around for a good surname and came up with Marius (Alexandria Faethorne has suggested this) and Balthazar which I found on a website abou the "names" that shakespeare used in his play and I thought it goes together well with Tambaqui and it not like a "common" name and it does sounds old and wizardry.

So that how I came up with Tambaqui Balthazar, and just add a Prof to the front of that name /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Prof. Tambaqui Balthazar
STOP THOSE DEATH THREATS! :(
(Please note, this signature is sarcastic!)
Edain Newman
No broom

Post by Edain Newman » Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:39 am

I was reading the book series "The Sword of Shannara" (very good set of books) and I came across the name Edain which was the name of a young elven prince.

I was thinking of a last name and it hit me... Newman... I am a NEW person. That is the first part of my last name. And I am a man (male). There's the second part of my last name. Newman is a last name also.

I like the combination so I kept it.

^Made by me!
Nasrin Almeida
No broom

Post by Nasrin Almeida » Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:37 pm

Nasrin- My very own middle name

Almeida- It's the surname of a doctor in Faro, Portugal. I had to go to hospital there when I broke my arm on holiday /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />
Be alert - the world needs more lerts.

'Aaaahhhh!! You broke my fortune cookie!'
Esmerelda Knotwise
No broom

Post by Esmerelda Knotwise » Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:50 pm

I know this is lame, but I used the Hobbit name generator, and chose two names that sounded unusual. I can't believe how many Esmerelda's there are on HOL! Apparently, this was not an original idea for choosing a name! lol
Nal Illinean
No broom

Post by Nal Illinean » Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:58 pm

My name used to be two different ones, Dracona Nalinè Illinean, so actually, on the first two forums I ever signed up for that are still open, I'm still going around as Dracona. After that, though, I decided I liked Nalinè better, or just Nal for short. And Umbra Velago was for a site where I had two accounts, and at some point, I couldn't choose which one to choose from. So I combined them, and I now am D. U. Nalinè Velago-Illinean. Or Dunvi. I go as that sometimes.

Okay, the actual name. Two years ago I was very clichéd about that sort of thing, and chose Dracona for a name. And since the third grade, I've been obsessed with anagrams, and the only one I remembered was Naline. I didn't like nuh-LINE, though, two years ago when I started to use it, so I added an accent from the language I've been creating, and it became NAH-lih-nay. Illinean started as an anagram as well, and then I decided it needed a little of this, and a touch of that, and it changed. Umbra means shadow, and that had meaning on the site where I first used it, and as for Velago, I just had a bit of fun.
[color=900]For every nineteen degrees hotter a fire burns, it doubles in size.

At least once I'm properly registered, I will be a proud Ravenclaw!

Image[/color]

Return to “The Great Hall”