Write an OWL!

General Notices and Discussions
Prof. Kyrie Adderholt
Shooting Star

Write an OWL!

Post by Prof. Kyrie Adderholt » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:28 pm

One of my favorite things about HOL's OWL class is that the lessons and assignments have always been written by different members of the site. It gives each OWL its own unique style and helps keep the class interesting.

Four years ago when I took over the class, I posted an opportunity for people to write new OWLs. That time has come again!

I am looking for volunteers to write a new OWL lesson, as well as an examination.

Lessons
The lesson should be on-point for your chosen subject but you have a lot of freedom with what you do with it from there. If you are doing Charms, for example, you can focus on a single type of charm or you can do a more broad overview. Lessons must be at least 1000 words.

Examinations
Examinations should be comprised of mostly essays. The examinations must be worth 30 points. Essays are worth 10 points per 500 words. Essays can be specific questions or open ended. The most popular examinations tend to allow for creativity from the OWL student. Multiple choice, matching, and fill in the blank are highly discouraged and if they are used, they cannot be worth more than 5 points of the total OWL. All examinations must be accessible.

The current OWLs class and example lessons can be found here: https://sites.google.com/site/owlshol/home

Who can do this?
Any second year or above is welcome to participate, but preference will be given to those who have already passed their OWL exams.

You are allowed to sign up for 2 OWLs maximum. For completed OWLs, you will be rewarded 50 EoY points (awarded at the end of the 20/21 year) per OWL, maximum of 100 points.

Sign-ups
If you are interest, please send me an HOL message with the OWL(s) you are most interested in (you can include as many as you'd like). The available subjects are:

Ancient Runes (Kendra Givens)
Arithmancy (Will Lestrange, February Fortescue)
Astronomy (Gail Allen)
Care of Magical Creatures (Iverian Gnash, Prof. Rorey Padfoot)
Charms (Sky Alton)
Defense Against the Dark Arts (Maxim Trevelyan, February Fortescue)
Divination (Gail Allen, Sindor Aloyarc)
Herbology (Prof. Zoki Phantom, Adaleine Shuster))
History of Magic (Maxim Trevelyan)
Muggle Studies (Sky Alton, Sindor Aloyarc, Adaleine Shuster)
Potions (Prof. Rorey Padfoot, Prof. Zoki Phantom)
Transfiguration (Iverian Gnash)

I will update this list as OWLs are claimed. More than one person can write for a single subject as OWLs rotate every year to offer different exams. That being said, I do not need 15 DADA exams and 0 History of Magic exams so keep that in mind when selecting the subjects you are interested in.

If you have any questions, please send me an HOL message.
i had a marvelous time ruining everything
Prof. Kyrie Adderholt || Head of House || RQT
Prof. Kyrie Adderholt
Shooting Star

Re: Write an OWL!

Post by Prof. Kyrie Adderholt » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:44 pm

Bump bump!
i had a marvelous time ruining everything
Prof. Kyrie Adderholt || Head of House || RQT

Return to “The Great Hall”