Getting Into Harry Potter

Discussions About the Harry Potter World

Moderator: Prefects

Litia McDorin
No broom

Post by Litia McDorin »

Wow it's been so long....
It was about 5 or 6 years ago and I was a freshman in high-school. I had heard about the books but never felt that compelled to read them. But one day my English teacher said that instead of the novel we were suppose to read we were going to read Harry Potter. Because at that time my Teacher was weird we would read the book out-loud in class and it was very slow so I went out and bought the book myself and finished it that day. I haven't been the same since. the very next day I got book 2 and finished it that day also. After that I have been in-love ever-since and when the book ends I don't know what I will do. /sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />
Harry Potter is not just a passion or an obsession it's a way of life and I'm sure that's how most of us feel! /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />
ImageHappyness is Morning & Evening, Daytime & Nighttime Too
I'm shamrock girl/ thanks to Trixcy Reya *hugs*
Trixcy & Litia! Snakes & Badgers make wonderful friens!
Emily Prince
No broom

Post by Emily Prince »

Children and adults clamoring for a very thick, very green-covered book. I didn't know what the craziness was all about, until the librarian at school announced a raffle for a chance to be one of the first students to check out a book by the name of...of...I could not remember the whole title. Something like, "Harry Potter and the.." My mind wandered when the rest of the title was being said. I dismissed it as "that stupid stupid fad yet again with that stupid and ugly cover." I had no interest whatsoever in "those Potter book thingies" and couldn't even pronounce "Rowling" right (said her name "RAW-LING". I was a near-total opposite to the normal HP fan. I was a fourth grader with a rebellious streak.

A year or so later...My girl scout troop had plans to go to the premiere of "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" movie. Again, I dismissed it, rather cynically, as "that stupid idiotic fad again." Then one day, right after I finished the classwork, a book on the classroom library rack seemed to shine. The sunlight made the purplish book with a boy wearing glasses on it glimmer. I wanted to read it. I snuck into the library while my teacher was away, grabbing the book. Sure, the words "Harry Potter", were on the cover, but what did I care? I felt like something was tingling inside of me, like..like...magic...

I sat down to my seat, reading the grey pages quickly. That night, I had the most magical reading experience I've ever had. It truly was magic. From the Harry's trip to Diagon Alley to the very last part, I was spellbound. No other books I'd read (and I'd read alot) had ever interested me as much as "Those awesome Potter books by that author named J.K. ROLL-ING". HA! I was even saying JKR's name right! I've been spellbound since that time, when I was an ickle eleven year old.

Heh. Teached me definitely not to judge a book by its hype or status.

Emily Prince (Gryffindor, em633, USA)
Kaki Karkaroff
No broom

Post by Kaki Karkaroff »

It was the year 2000. I was 19 and an avid reader, but had never heard of Harry Potter except to see it occasionally on my friends' bookshelves. I had come home for the summer to do some hiking in the Appalachian Mountains. A week into my month of planned hiking, however, I sustained a serious foot injury. For a week, I would not be able to walk.

I didn't want to spend the week watching TV, so I asked my aunt if she knew any good books for me to read. She sent me Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Within two hours, I had read the entire book and was addicted to everything from Hagrid to McGonagall and, of course, Harry and his past. I handed my mom money and said that there was enough time to drive to the bookstore and buy Chamber of Secrets before it closed.

Ever since, I've been hooked on the series. I have dreams about it. I get others addicted in any way that I can. I predicted the ending of Book 6 in the middle of Book 3 and enjoyed the reactions of those who hadn't believed me once they got to that part. When I found a man to marry, I gave him Sorcerer's Stone for his birthday and we read the rest out loud to each other. That, I considered to be a sign of true love.

I am waiting eagerly for Book 7, but in the meantime, must content myself with pretending I'm a part of Hogwarts here online.

Kaki Karkaroff, Hufflepuff HOuse, ka687, USA
Last edited by Kaki Karkaroff on Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regina Silverthread
No broom

Post by Regina Silverthread »

I don't remember the exact year, but only the three first books -that's until PoA- when I first got into Harry Potter. My grandmother who works as a writer and critic wanted me to help her with a pile of books she had to review. I remember her saying: "Why don't you try Harry Potter? It is said to be a popular one with children your age". (Note: I was about 11-12 at the time) I found it a good idea, since alll my friends at school were into it.

I took SS and CoS at home and three hours later I had already finished. I still remember how interesting I found the first chapter ever, "The Boy who Lived". My reviews were ready, but as a reader I was curious for more. These books were just great!

I searched and searched for PoA. My grandmother didn't have it and I seemed the only one at school who hadn't read it. As a renowned bookworm, I have never felt like that before: besing the last one who reads a newly published book! Finally I got to read PoA promising myself I would be the first one from my friends to read the upcoming books!

Then, one year later, ín the summer, my aunt brought me from London GoF. It had just been published!!! I was really happy, though there was one major inconvenience: it wasn't translated! That wouldn't stop me though! With the aid of a dictornary (which I dropped after the first few pages) and patience, I finished the fourth book in just 3 hours! It was my first book ever to read in English.

OotP and HBP came (a little late, in my opinion) in the following years. So did the movies. The books I adored, the movies I liked. I, as I had promised got to experience them in their released dates! (Well with the SS movie that didn't happen, but anyway!) In the meantime I thought of how great it could be if I myself could be a hogwarts student....

Then, I found HOL! And the magic continues until book seven!

Regina Silverthread, Ravenclaw, re609, Greece
Donella Aife
No broom

Post by Donella Aife »

I started reading the HP books a few months after the second one came out. It had been recommended by many people of many ages and eventually I saved up my pocket money, gave it to my brother and he got me the first two books from the school library. Now the question was, how long would it take me to read them? Lets just say not long! I had finished both books within the two days and was gagging for more. They were, to say the least, staggeringly brilliant. I could not put them down because I was constantly alerted to the fact that Harry was in trouble, or was about to find out the truth about his parents or even if the Whinging Willow was going to devour Harry and Ron!

I think my favourite book would have to be book three (which is definitely the most dog-eared after i left it outside in a storm whilst holidaying in Sri Lanka!), but only by a miniscule amount because they are all fabulous. I was a bit disappointed with book five however. It took me a while to get into it and i have only read it twice compared to the others.

They were exciting, great fun and definitely in my top ten favourites. I couldn't have agreed more from the opinions of newspapers and children's magazines about the fact that Harry Potter books were well worth reading, young or old and imaginative or otherwise! The characters made me laugh, cry and sit on the edge of my sit all in one. Not many books can do that.

My brother read all 6 books in a week and is now joining me in waiting eagerly for the seventh and final book. It will be very sad to finish them all but I'm sure the ending will be spectacular as ever.For the time being I shall be attending HOL to make up for the missing book 7!

Donella Aife (Gryffindor, do610, UK)
Dawn Christensen
No broom

Post by Dawn Christensen »

How did I get into Harry Potter? Well, it all started when I was either 7 or 8, not quite sure. My Grandma bought me Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone for Christmas. My mom would read it to me every night. Then a couple years later, she bought me the second and third books for my birthday. After that, I became a "Harry Potter fanatic". I LOVED it so much! I also got a few Harry Potter things too. Like a sticker book and a shirt. Then the fourth book got out. I was in forth grade. I ordered it out of a magazine. My friend Luke and I had a race to see who could finish it first. I won. I started getting more Harry Potter stuff. Like the video game. Never did beat it, but it was fun. The fifth book, my Grandma sent to me while she was in Wisconsin. I loved it. Then, I really anticipated the arrival of the Sixth book. I loved that one the most. So, since then I have really loved it. I used to (and sometimes still do, when I am bored) play Harry Potter by myself. Weird, I know, but I am just obsessed!

Dawn Christensen (Hufflepuff,da609, usa)
Andrea Caroline
No broom

Post by Andrea Caroline »

How do I become obsessed with Harry Potter? It all started on a really cold morning in England, Southampton. I was on a vacation at my grandparents’ house for my summer holiday July 2005. I like Harry Potter generally because I only watch the movies; which I think was already good; and I didn’t seem to even want to touch the Harry Potter series books because I always hated reading thick books full of writings. It was a really dull holiday and I spent most of the time in my room upstairs alone.

Since this was only the start of my family’s journey to explore Europe in thirty-one days, I’ll bet I’ll get bored all the way so I thought I would bring some books with me. In my thoughts, the Harry Potter book occurred to me. However, I thought that I already watch the three movies and the Goblet of Fire movie is starting this year so I only brought the Order of the Phoenix book with me which I thought was enough for me to read in thirty-one days.

Now, here I was trying to read the first chapter which is ‘Dudley Demented’. I read it nice and slow so I could get the picture and the point in my head. As a matter of fact, the first three pages were already exciting for me because I could get to know more about Harry Potter in the book. I read the book on and on continuously during the day and I suddenly realized at night, I already finished five chapters! It is an awesome book! I couldn’t wait for the next day for me to read the whole book.

At last, I finished the book in the next four days. I was really glad that I decided to bring this book with me for the holiday. However, suddenly I felt really determined. This time I was determined to buy all the Harry Potter books including the sixth which would be published on the sixteenth July. I was really happy and very excited for any Harry Potter materials since then. I draw all the characters, read articles and so on.

Then I found this website about Hogwarts Online. I was really surprised and now I became one of the many people who joined HOL because they are really interested in Harry Potter.

Andrea Caroline ( Gryffindor, an675, Indonesia )
sig made by me!! :D
Andrea Caroline|an675|Michievous Warrior Monks|an artist in the making

GO GRYFFINDOR!!!!!
Danette Floyd
No broom

Post by Danette Floyd »

What got me into Harry Potter in the first place? Well, I honestly have to say it was the whole religious outburst that first caught my interest. It seems these days that religious fanatics are trying to ban everything (from saying the purple Teletubby is gay, to saying Pokemon are evil).

When I first heard about Harry Potter, I thought it would be just another children's book series and not something that an adult would be interested in (I was 20 at the time). When there was the big uproar about it, it caught my interest. But what really turned me into a fan was when my sister bought the first movie. It was so great. And like experience has told me, the book is usually a lot better than the movie. Just like I thought, I absolutely loved the book. And I was pleased to see that the movie didn't vary much from the content of the book, which is always nice.

Since reading the first book, I have been a die hard fan. I am a memeber of several of the wonderful forums and I always pre-order the books to make sure I get it as soon as possible. It may be a bit corny for someone who is now almost twenty six years old, but what can I say? I'll be a die hard Harry Potter fan till the end!

Danette Floyd (Gryffindor, da653, USA)
Last edited by Danette Floyd on Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stuart Allen
No broom

Post by Stuart Allen »

I first got into Harry Potter when I was About 11.I had the 3rd book but hadn't read it.( I had it for a couple of years)I read the 3rd one first Harry Potter and the Prisnor of Azkaban.I realy liked then I heard a movie was coming out Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.I went and watched it and it was good.Then I nagged my mum to buy the second Harry Potter book,she finaly gave in after 2 weeks and she didn't only buy me the second but the fourth as well.I read them both and then I watched the movie Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.This year I read all the Harry Potter books from the Philosopher's Stone to the Half Blood Prince and also watched the movie Harry Potter and the Prisnor of Azkaban. I read Harry Potter books because there so great.
by Stuart Allen in Hufflepuff.
the lions roar
the snakes hiss
the ravens squark
but........the badgers rule
Nina Cecka
No broom

Post by Nina Cecka »

My Harry Potter obsession (as I like to call it) began when I was 10 years old. See I really love to read and I was desperate for some new books. So when I went to Barnes and Noble with my mom I was just wandering in the isles hoping to find something interesting. That’s when I noticed the girl. See this girl was curled up with a book (literally) on the floor of all places. Now I was a naturally curious girl at the time so I plopped down beside her and asked “What are you reading?â€￾ She looked startled at being interrupted and instead of answering she held up a book which didn’t look like it had been bought yet labeled Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.

Now I hadn’t read HP and I had never even heard about it but when she held it up I felt like I HAD to read it! So I raced to my mom (who stood out clearly in the crowd; she has a weird hair color) and told her I wanted to buy this book only to find out there was a book before it and the whole thing was a series. I went home that night and was delighted with my first ever HP book. It was thick (Hey! I was ten!) and shiny and beautiful and just ready to be read that I started it right away. (Now it doesn’t look so good but um hey what can I say? I love Harry Potter!) Then I was even more delighted when I learned that there was THREE more whole books to be read. And that was how it all began. Whe the series ends it will be the end of an era, and I don't know what we will all do without the wisdom of J.K. Rowling.

Signed: Nina Cecka (Gryffindor, ni636, US of A)

Before you critize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you critize them you are a mile away and you have their shoes. The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.

Wand: 15 inches from a maple tree, with a dragon claw core

Pets: One cat named Starlene.
Kim Snape
No broom

Post by Kim Snape »

It was a few months before the release of Goblet of Fire, and the media was having a field day with the Harry Potter series. Schools were banning the books, churches were buringing them, and so I had heard of them, but only in a negative light.

At the time, I was taking a painting class at a local gal's studio (it was really more of a chat session for me and a dozen other ladies and an excuse to get out of the house) :-), anyway, the instructor had just finished Sorceror's Stone and was going on about how she really enjoyed the book. That night, there was another news report of banning, and I thought, "Wow! I've got to find out what this whole thing is about! The media and organizations are acting like it's Satan incarnate, but here's Lisa (my painting instructor) saying how much she really liked the book!" It reminded me too much of the time when I was in grade school and they banned all the Judy Blume books - which I LOVED!

So, the next day I was at Sam's Club and they had Sorceror's Stone, Chamber of Secrets and Prisoner of Azkaban in Hardback. I bought all three after reading the first couple of pages of Sorceror's Stone and immediately realizing what a well-written series this was going to be! I figured, even if the content didn't agree with me, as a writer myself, I could appreciate the craft.

I got home and read Sorceror's Stone from cover to cover, only stopping for a moment to make and eat dinner. By two weeks, I had the other 2 books finished and desperately awaited the release of Goblet of Fire. I was hooked and have been obsessed ever since!!

/wub.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wub:" border="0" alt="wub.gif" />

Kim Snape ( Gryffindor, ki601, United States)
Bridgette Medwin
No broom

Post by Bridgette Medwin »

My first encounter with the first Harry Potter book was definetly not as special as it should have been. I believe I was in 7th grade at the time, during a study hall I noticed two boys that were reading the book. If I had even the slightest clue of what I was missing, I would have been right there with them reading! I wouldn't have thought anything of it except, that three periods later during time that they should have been listening that they were STILL reading. Even after being repremanded they were still sneaking peaks to their books to read.

That kind of behavior in guys at our school was very odd. So I assumed there was a reason. When I approached them and asked them what they were reading they just told me "Harry Potter." So that didn't really inspire me to read it.

Although, later I came across the book and picked it up. Of course the rest as they say is history!

Bridgette Medwin (Gryffindor, br602, USA)
Bridgette Eliza Medwin | Proud 1st year Gryffindor
Maker of custom Signatures | PM me your request
Wand: Maple & Walnut | 13 1/2 inches | Pheonix Feather
Pet: Black Cat Named GiGi
Merry Turtle
No broom

Post by Merry Turtle »

I didn't start reading the Harry Potter books until the 4th book arrived in my house. My son was devouring them from day one but I just didn't take the time to read any. I finally decided to give the 1st a try. By the time I had come up for air, I was throught the 4 books available and counting the days till the next. I've been hooked ever since. I've done the books, the movies, the books on tape & now HOL. I'm just not ready to face the fact that there is only one more book. /sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Merry Turtle
Merry Turtle
Jinny Barks
No broom

Post by Jinny Barks »

well, till about 4 years back i was a skinny little boy, not much into reading novels, bu tmore into Archie's and stuff. My cousin sister (hereby referred to as "sister" only) on the other hand, was a typical bookworm. Now, she couldn't help but notice that i wasn't into reading novels, and since we both did things the same way, she introduced me to one.....The Hardy Boys #1. i was hooked then....i went on to read some more novels. One fine day, my sister introduced me to her battered copy of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. I was , initially, not very enthusiastic about it....but 10 pages in , i was hooked. It took me a week to finish that book, and a mere ten minutes more to buy my own copy! After that i re-read it about 7 times, and then i wen't out to buy COS.....i was shocked to find POA on sale too....so i blew off nearly half-an-year worth of pocket money and bought both...much to the delight of my parents, who were glad that i had finally "grown out of Archie's"!! In no mood to disagree, i openend COS and finished it the very same day, having spent nearly 8 hrs reading it.
(I had trouble going to the bathroom without checking the pipes for basilisks after that!!!)
POA was finished in flat 6 hrs.........a record for me!!
GOF arrived, and i started the book with much gutso......and finished it, without any hitches.
The movie for SS came out after that, but i only saw it on VCD...they didn't put it on in the theatre's!
Next up was COS...and that was a little different from the book, but okay nevertheless!!
I was 14 when i saw COS...after that i got a little into studies and games...and forgot HP for some time. My sister, who had moved to USA some time back, came back on my 15th b'day with a copy of OOTP.
i felt that same sensation filling up in my chest, the one to keep reading till my eye's refused to recognise anything..
I finished OOTP , and again got engrossed in my studies....but i had meant to read OOTP again in a few days..
but then something happened that made me avoid OOTP, or any other HP book for that matter.........a girl that i used to like a lot went to a boarding School...and i might have gone too, but my dad decided that it was better for me where i was.
i avoided HP after that, since Hogwarts reminded me of a life i may have had...
7 months later, when i was totally and completely over the past events, i picked up OOTP, and sank in!!!!!
After that, this july, i got HBP on the first day, for 75% less, BTW, all thanks to me winning a HP QUIZ at the shop!!!!!! Thanking my blues, i sat down, and finished it.
then i decided it was time i joined some HP group, i had been meaning to do so for abt an year now....and i joined one. That lead to me joining another group, and through that group i recieved an e-mail linking to HOL.....
It's been 10 days since i joined, and i have thoroughly enjoyed my time here, and on mIRC!!!!!!
i still haven't seen POA, since the only version available here is a theatre recorded one, and having seen the first two movies, i decided to avoid it...might buy a VCD/DVD soon though!!!!

Jinny Barks, Gryffindor , ji602, India
Last edited by Jinny Barks on Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Celia Ashby
No broom

Post by Celia Ashby »

I read Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone when I was about eight. I saw it in my classroom library and thought the cover art looked cool and the summary sounded interesting. I couldn't put the book down and finished the whole thing in one day. I really liked the first book, so I read the second one, and soon I didn't just like the books. I became obesessed with this magical world that JK Rowling had created. I read the third book as soon as it came out. PoA is definitely my favorite out of all the books so far. The fourth and fifth books I checked out from the library and read them during the car ride home. I saw all three of the movies (but in my opinion, the books were better.) I am now eagerly awaiting the release of the seventh book. /happy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="^_^" border="0" alt="happy.gif" />

Celia Ashby ( Gryffindor, ce615, USA )
Last edited by Celia Ashby on Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Susana Orion
No broom

Post by Susana Orion »

I really should have posted this before...
I read Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone in the Summer of 1999. It was actually my brother who bought it. A friend of his from school had suggested him the book and so he decided to buy it. He told me about it once when we were taking our cat to the veterinary (that cat's son ended up by being named Sirius, some years later) and I decided to read it because he said it was really good.
I read a lot and all sorts of genres so it was not a problem for me to start reading a fantasy book, as it is not today, though many people think that being 27 doesn't allow you to read one. I am 27 and I love Tolkien, Rowling, Marillier, etc. So I read it and I liked it, as you probably guessed, or I wouldn't be in an on-line virtual simulation of a book-based school. =)
I read the first three books that were available by that time in very short period, though not as fast as I wanted because I still had college and it was giving me a lot of work (I mastered in Law in 2001). When GoF got out it was automatically bought by my brother and since then we have been reading the books as soon as they're available.
It is a pitty there is only one left, though.

Susana Orion ( Hufflepuff, su331, Portugal )

Last edited by Susana Orion on Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Susana Orion | Fourth Year | Hufflepuff | su331
Aphrodite Griffinclaw
No broom

Post by Aphrodite Griffinclaw »

For a lllooonnnggg time I didn't like Harry Potter much. Actually, I didn't like it at all. Almost everyone I knew was crazy about the books, movies, anything. But I never really liked it. Then, this year the 1st movie was playing as a Christmas special. I watched it and was really impressed. That weekend I went to a library and got the first 3 books. I was crazy about it right away. So I saw the rest of the movies and read the rest of the books. Now they are one of my all time favorite series.

Aphrodite Griffinclaw, ap600, U.S.A
"Life is like this dark tunnel. You may not always see the light at the end of the tunnel, but if you keep moving, you will come to a better place."
Julie Chant
No broom

Post by Julie Chant »

Harry Potter and the Reluctant Reader. That is what the name of my story would be, were it written by JK Rowling. I first recieved a Harry Potter book sometime in 1999. I'd tried reading the first chapter a few times, but just could not get into it. It was around the new year that I finally decided that I would read it, right after the Millenium struck. I was around eleven at that time, and believed in the silly Y2K bug, as everyone called it.

Thinking that I might not even need a chance to read it (because the world was about to end) I took out my neatest purple gel pen and wrote on the inside cover, "Well, if the lights go out, at least I'll have a candle and this book to read." Sillyness. Well, as you know, the world did not end, and I decided at that point in time that I would give the Harry Potter books one last try.

From that moment on, to say I was hooked would be an understatement. I don't become hooked on things, I become obsessed. I nearly devoured the other two in the series and waited for the fourth to be released. Goblet of Fire was released, and two days later I'd finished that. Order of the Phoenix was released, and I attended my first Midnight Magic party. Then came Half-Blood Prince, I finished that less than 24 hours later and here I am. Five years later, and I am still as obsessed as I ever have been. Come to think of it, Harry Potter has not really been an obsession for me, it has been a lifestyle.

Julie Chant (Gryffindor, ju626, USA)
Sahara Rose
No broom

Post by Sahara Rose »

I used to think that this whole "Harry Potter craze" was just that, some stupid craze that was going to die out quick. I used to compare it to the likes of Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh. Well since I work in the electronics department of the biggest discount chain in America, I tend to buy a lot of movies. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone had been out for about a month, and it had been staring me in the face every day I went to work. One day I just couldn't take it anymore. My husband came in to visit me at work and said he wanted a movie to watch that night. I tried so hard to pick something else, but my eyes kept glancing over at Harry Potter.

God bless my husband, he's too nice to hate, he picks up the movie and says to me "Hey how about Harry Potter, lets find out what this craze is all about."

So yes, I now blame him for my obsession. I liked the movie so much that Christmas of 2002 he bought me the boxed set which consisted of books 1-4. Of course he then proceeded to laugh at me when I just HAD to stand in line for books five and six. However, as much as he makes fun of me for it now, he insisted upon coming to the midnight releases of both books with me, and insists even more upon watching the new movies that come out. Thus proving, that no matter how much you try to deny it, there is a bit of Harry Potter in everyone.

Sahara Rose (Gryffindor, sa552, USA)

Thanks to PotterPuffs on livejournal for the wonderful
characters used in my siggy and for the great avatar icon!
Liana Liggins
No broom

Post by Liana Liggins »

Why did I start reading Harry Potter? There were quite a lot of reasons for that.

Since early childhood I've been always interested in reading, I can say I could hardly live without books, so that the biggest part of the night I would usually spend enjoying some fairy-tale. Yes! Fairy-tales has always been what I enjoyed most. For example, at the age of 5 I would wake up at 5 o'clock in the morning, switch on the light and read and then I would stand up and switch on the TV and watch some fairy-tale and then back to reading...

I have always loved books that are a whole world to me. Probably most of my favourite writers won't say anything to you, like Bulychev, but when I was reading them I forgot that I was just a little girl and struggled against the evil with the hero, and cried over his failures and celebrated his victories.

Now that I'm already a university student (oh yes, I am, indeed), I still enjoy such books, though many of my friends can't understand me, leaving aside my parents. What's more, I've taken to reading English books of that kind, because I'm studying foreign languages and that's a good practice for me. But still I hadn't opened Rowling's books until once, when... Oh no! I didn't open her books, I read them in Internet, because they're pretty expensive here, in Russia.

So I started reading "Harry Potter" series when I had my computer connected to the Internet and I read five books at once, for less then 5 days. I couldn't resist the temptation, because those were the books I'm mostly fond of - kind, mysterious and fantastic. I gulped the text as if it were some sort of delicious drink. At first I could see nothing but the wonderful world I plunged into. But later I began to appreciate Rowling's language, too, because it was the English we, Russian students, lacked in our textbooks - modern, yet beautiful language. Lots of useful word combinations, you know.

Reading the 5th book was a real shock for me. Sirius Black was my best hero. I admired, and still admire his courage and readiness to die for the sake of his friends. From that moment I began to realize that Rowling's books are not deprived of cruelty, but neither is modern world... So I waited till the 6th book.

And at last it was published. I won't place any spoilers here, but I can say that my opinion about Rowling's books hasn't changed. I can say that, whether they are cruel or kind, childish or adult, real or unreal, for me they are maginificent! And I'm looking forward to the 7th book, which I hope won't be the last.

That's it. Thank you!

Liana Liggins (Gryffindor, li628, Russia)
Liana|Just Liana|Changing&Unpredictable

Return to “Harry Potter Talk”