Names on HP Merch

Discussions About the Harry Potter World

Moderator: Prefects

Gail Allen
Cleansweep One

Names on HP Merch

Post by Gail Allen »

I've recently been giving this some thought and upon talking with other people I've found out that opinions are split, so now I wanted to know what you all think.

If you were to get some Harry Potter Merchandise of one or the other sort that could have a name on it, would you want you RL name or your HOL name on there?
I myself am very split on this subject, because on one hand my RL name is the one most people who seem me with the merch will know, but on the other hand my HOL name is so connected to Harry Potter that it seems very fitting to have that on anything that has to do with Harry Potter.
So now I want to know what you guys think and what your reasons for or against either is.

(Also please remember not to share your Real name as per the general HOL rules)
Ivorie Windton
No broom

Re: Names on HP Merch

Post by Ivorie Windton »

I would put my real life name unless the merchandise was somehow connected to HOL, then I would want my in-game name on it. I think it would be cool to have something specific to HOL for sure.
|8" Vine and Dragon Heartstring|iv810|
Silas Hipolito Crist
No broom

Post by Silas Hipolito Crist »

That's certainly a good question; it is much similar as Gail at me. But after all I would probably use my RL name on HP Merch, because obviusly I would use it in the area where I am known with my real name and I am also known as Harry Potter lover so it would not be something were surprising if I would show up with my name on HP merch.
But if possible it would be very interesting to have my HOL name; altough others would not know what is name connected to and would probably think that it is character from Harry Potter series.
Prof. Will Lestrange
Shooting Star

Post by Prof. Will Lestrange »

Can I just take the easy way out and use the letter "W"? Assuming we're only talking first names... I suppose I could go with my real name because it's easier to turn that into my HOL first name than vice versa ;)
Prof. Kendra Givens
Silver Arrow

Post by Prof. Kendra Givens »

I think if I were to get HP merchandise in general, I'd want my RL name on it. Most people in my everyday life don't know about HOL and wouldn't understand the HOL name on it. If someone in my HOL community were to gift me something HOL, then I might want my HOL name on it, since there's a direct connection there. If one of my RL friends was to gift me something HOL, I'd want my RL name on it. If I bought something for myself, I'd have my RL name put on it. Ultimately, I guess HOL for me is more about the community than directly about Harry Potter. Harry Potter is the core of the community and what brought us all together, but without the community, HOL wouldn't mean much to me. I hope that makes sense?
Iverian Gnash
Cleansweep One

Post by Iverian Gnash »

I’ll have to agree with everyone else. Definitely my RL name unless it was strictly HOL. Only my closest friend knows about HOL, so it would be sort of weird for everyone if I walked around with my HOL name on a piece of clothing. However, my HOL name corresponds to a book my brother and I are writing about the Wizarding world, so my brother would understand what it meant.
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. - Dalai Lama
Prof. Maxim Trevelyan
Nimbus 1000

Post by Prof. Maxim Trevelyan »

I feel like I am cheating here, because my HOL first name is a part of my RL name and how I am most often referred to, besides Max.

Even with the full HOL name, I would probably pick that one. My full RL name (even without the middle name) is too long for most merch, while Maxim Trevelyan is quite perfect for it, I think.
...also a platonic soulmate and a hot mess of a human being.
February Fortescue
Cleansweep One

Post by February Fortescue »

I'd definitely go with my RL name. I've been on forums for years and used different names each time, and while they're each a small part of me, none of them represent the "real" me. I'm not even sure which Harry Potter name i most identify with, because I still love my Pottermore name :wub:

In RL, I was named after my great-grandmother, who was named her grandmother, and I recently discovered that lady's surname was Lockhart! I think that's pretty cool. If I were to join HOL today, I would have chosen that name :D So I'd definitely go RL on the merch
superb sig by Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
No matter where you go, there you are.

Return to “Harry Potter Talk”