Other storyline?

Discussions About the Harry Potter World

Moderator: Prefects

Prof. Alexander Brighton
Moontrimmer

Other storyline?

Post by Prof. Alexander Brighton »

Aside from the Fantastic Beasts storyline with Newt Scamander, Professor Dumbledore, and Grindelwald, we all know there are a lot more other storylines that take place in the wizarding world.

There's the story of the Hogwarts founders and all that went down there with the creation of the Chamber of Secrets. There's the story to do with the Dumbledore family before the events of Fantastic Beasts (like a prequel) there's another one to do with Tom Riddle and his time at Hogwarts and turning into Voldemort. Then of course There's the story of the Marauders time at Hogwarts and the first wizarding war. There might even be other stories that we've heard about through either the movies or the books that could be worth looking deeper into.

What stories that take place in the wizarding world would you like to see made into a movie?

I think I would like to see any of the above made into movies, it's hard to pick just one of them. I love Fantastic Beasts and going to see The Secrets of Dumbledore this weekend!!! But I do wish that at some point, some of these other storylines are made into movies too.
Amy Darvill
Oakshaft 79

Re: Other storyline?

Post by Amy Darvill »

I wouldn't mind seeing a movie of what's called the Silver Trio, with Neville and Ginny, and Luna back at Hogwarts during that final year of the war. It would be an interesting parallel to what was going on in the Deathly Hallows movies.

Beyond that, I wouldn't mind a biopic style film into the life of Minerva McGonagall. One of my favorite professors, what bit I've read, she's had a fascinating life and I just would love to see that on the big screen or as an epic "The Crown" style drama show.

So those are the two storylines I would love to see made.
Jodie Smith
No broom

Post by Jodie Smith »

It might sound a little bland, but I’d love to see a slice of life movie (or a TV show with short episodes) of Hogwarts staff when the school’s not in session. What adventures are they up to? Do they stay at the castle? Do they miss the bustle and hustle? It doesn’t need anything profound, but it’d be a nice relaxing thing to watch.

Similarly to Amy, I’d love to see the people returning for the “Eighth Year” of Hogwarts, like Hermione did. How did they try to fit into the normalcy of school life after such a heavy battle at school’s grounds?
Prof. Sky Alton
Twigger 90

Post by Prof. Sky Alton »

Jodie Smith wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 5:54 pm It might sound a little bland, but I’d love to see a slice of life movie (or a TV show with short episodes) of Hogwarts staff when the school’s not in session. What adventures are they up to? Do they stay at the castle? Do they miss the bustle and hustle? It doesn’t need anything profound, but it’d be a nice relaxing thing to watch.
I would 100% watch this! I was so curious about what life would be like for the professors that a while ago I wrote an entire fanfic about a Hogwarts student returning to teach.

I'm just drawn to anything that gives us a closer look at interesting aspects of the wizarding world, so I'd love for some storylines that weren't all about huge conflicts. People at the Ministry fighting crime or dealing with disasters, magic in other countries, magical Britain at other points in history, that sort of thing. I could also see a really interesting series being made about what it was like working at the ministry during the first war with Voldemort - it would have a definite Cold War, espionage type feel.

I was a little disappointed that Hogwarts Mystery went so hard for the vaults storyline and tried to drag lots of elements from the main series in - it could have been a really neat story in its own right, showing what life is like at Hogwarts in a 'normal' year. I guess I just want more stories that, while they aren't completely detached from what we know, don't need to constantly refer back to the main series.
"Growing up doesn't have to mean I lose the cape, the faith, the dream. I'm so done with that... I'm taking it back."
(Av/sig by S. Elf)
Prof. Will Lestrange
Shooting Star

Post by Prof. Will Lestrange »

[OUT OF CHARACTER DISCLAIMER: I was 23 years old when I read the series for the first time, so what I'm about to describe struck me as a glaring omission even then].

Because of the point of view perspective of the series from a "Hogwarts student aged" character, adults are really only shown through specific relationships to student characters (e.g. parents or schoolteachers). And people between Hogwarts graduation and, say, 30 years old (Snape was 31 the first time we saw him even if he looked twice that age in the movies) are particularly hard to come by! I would love to see what young adult life, post-graduation, looks like in the Wizarding World; even if it is focused on the limited set of magical occupations we know about (Ministry, Hogwarts staff, Quidditch, shopkeeper, reporter, etc) it's still a perspective we could stand to see represented more of!

Of course, there's the separate issue that three of the four houses aren't particularly well represented in terms of "point of view": Hufflepuffs are primarily shown as foils to Harry ("Heir of Slytherin" stuff or Quidditch rivalry; while Tonks is not shown that way, she's pretty far in the background and her house isn't even stated in the books), the main Ravenclaw we get close to, Luna Lovegood, is presented as being sufficiently different from her housemates that we're not left really understanding that house from talking to her... and while we know quite a few Slytherins, they're again primarily foils to Harry (and sometimes his parents)!

[OUT OF CHARACTER DISCLAIMER: For the second point, of course, communities such as this one can give us a much better idea of what all four houses are like: it's hard to spend more than a little bit of time here and not immediately getting several prominent examples in mind for each of the four Houses!]
Aura Nightmoon
No broom

Post by Aura Nightmoon »

I think I would like to know more about the original Order of the Phoenix and their stories. I also wish there was more on Ravenclaw. We have Newt Scamander with Fantastic Beasts to represent Hufflepuff, and Gryffindor and Slytherin are represented well in the original movies, but with Ravenclaw, we only have Luna and Cho and there isn't a lot of time spent on them. Ravenclaw seems as if it was pushed back and almost forgotten about. There was always the storyline between Helena and the Bloody Baron. That might be interesting, though dark.
Skylar Peyton
No broom

Post by Skylar Peyton »

I would just love to see a story on the big screen of Voldemorts rise to power the first time and the first wizarding war. It might also help if the movie or movie series starts out with Voldemort as a boy. But we could see the roles that everyone had during the first war, including all the death eaters, the Order Members, and the prophesy from Trelawney. We could also see Pettigrew's betrayal and the battle between Sirius and Pettigrew.

Return to “Harry Potter Talk”