Discussion #4 - Values and Wizarding Jobs

Class led by Prof. Gustavo Flores

Moderator: Prof. Gustavo Flores

Prof. Gustavo Flores
Silver Arrow

Discussion #4 - Values and Wizarding Jobs

Post by Prof. Gustavo Flores »

Dear students,
Here you can post your results of the values and wizarding jobs tests. Remember it is worth 10 points of your Assignnment 4:

Taken from the website:

As usual, when you are done with your tests, please go to our Class Forum (Click to go to the forum!) and share your results. Comment answering the following questions:
*Which were the prominent values that you got?
*Do you agree or disagree with your results? Why?
* Look at the suggested careers that your type of values has. Do you like them or not? Which one is your favorite? Are you willing to research more about the other careers or not?
*Which was the wizarding job that you got?
* Are you comfortable with your result? Why or why not?
* Does the wizarding job that resulted from the test matches with the one you’ve been working this term? What do you think about that difference or similarity?
* Any other thought that you wish to share with us is very welcome!

IMPORTANT: Please justify your answers and make your post is at least 100 words long if you want to receive your complete 10 points. Thanks!
Prof. Will Lestrange
Shooting Star

Re: Discussion #4 - Values and Wizarding Jobs

Post by Prof. Will Lestrange »

Just as for the last two discussions, I took the tests twice: both in character and out of character. This time, I will focus on the answers in character and then briefly point out what changed when taking the results out of character.

In character, none of my values were particularly dominant, but three stood out as stronger than the others: economic and theoretical were tied at 14 and political was one point behind at 13. While I was surprised that theoretical was as high as it was (since I value knowledge mainly as a means to an end), it makes sense that I had no one dominant value... and that economic and political values made sense for me as power and utility are both important to me!

Plenty of careers focus on some permutations of those three values: Alchemist, Apparition Examiner, Arithmancer, Astronomer, Broom-Maker, Curse-Breaker, Head of Department, Herbologist, Journalist, Obliviator, Potioneer, and Spell Inventor come to mind. Of those professions, I'd probably choose Arithmancer, Curse-Breaker, or Head of Department as playing to my strengths... but none of them really fit me. I would argue that Quidditch Player (which fits none of my values, but then again my playstyle is fairly unconventional) or Unspeakable are much better fits for me - and in fact, I interned as an Unspeakable a year and a half ago (this was an internship facilitated by Professor Rorey Padfoot and her assistant, Arianna Stonewater)! That said, I would be willing to look more deeply into at least a few of the other careers to see if there's anything I missed.

The profession that the quiz gave me was Quidditch Player. Given that the Quidditch pitch was the first place I visited (after a quick look around the dungeons) when I started here nearly five years ago, this does feel like a comfortable profession for me for now. And in fact, most of the people who know me around this school (except of course for those who know me in-house or taught me in a few classes) will primarily know me for Quidditch: not only am I a captain of my house team, but I've served on the Quidditch Board for the past two years! That said, Quidditch players tend to have a fairly short career - with most needing to find another position after ten years (Bulgarian Seeker Viktor Krum went from being an unusually young player to an unusually old one in a mere two decades)! So while I'm comfortable with playing Quidditch after graduation, I'll need to look for proper exit opportunities for my 'real' career after my retirement! (And yes, this profession does match with the job I've been working this term: outside of coursework [including OWLs] and my in-house responsibilities as a Prefect, most of my time was spent on the Quidditch pitch: both as a player and a member of our school's Quidditch Board; I'd have to count my Quidditch Board role as the job I'm working this term.)

Out of character, my strongest value was actually social, at 14 points (which was my #4 value, only at 9 points, in character). My second strongest value was economic, at 13 points (this was also one of my strongest values in character; no surprises there). My two other strongest values from my in-character personality, theoretical and political, were my third and fourth strongest values, at 11 and 9 points, respectively. While I'm not surprised at where my economic and theoretical values lay out of character, I was shocked that my social value was as high as it was and my economic value was as low as it was. This gave a different set of jobs (looking for social and economic values only) of which the most interesting, by far, was Curse-Breaker (which should not be a surprise as it favored the only value that I scored high on and expected to score high on). The wizarding job quiz gave me Gringotts worker, which aligns well with Curse-Breaker (and with my Muggle training as well). I think the "wizarding job" preference underscores the starkest difference between my in-character and out-of-character personalities: while my Quidditch skills are an integral part of my in-character personality, I am not particularly athletic out-of-character!
Scarlett Lacarnum
No broom

Post by Scarlett Lacarnum »

My Value Results are as follows:

Economic = 14
Theoretical = 13
Aesthetic = 9
Social = 6
Political = 9
Religious = 9

The only result that surprised me is the religious one. I thought that would be the lowest as I was not raised religious and do not give it priority. I would have thought aesthetic or social would be higher too but maybe it was just the types of questions. I am okay with economic being my top value and so therefore I agree with it. I believe society should not be capitalistic but should be cost-effective.

The suggested careers for the economic value are: alchemist, arithmancer, auror, broom maker, chief of staff, curse-breaker, healer, herbologist, obliviator, potioneer, spell inventor, and wandmaker. Honestly I like all of these careers. Before I took the test I was very interested in curse-breaking, spell inventing and oblivaiting careers. The two least likely careers for me from this list are broom maker and wandmaker. Neither career excites me enough to make a business out of. I would research most about being a curse breaker and a spell inventor. I think I would be good as an obliviator for the Accidental Magical Reversal Squad because of my knowledge of the Muggle world.

According to the test, my job in the wizarding world was Gringotts Worker. I supposedly have a "keen eye for gold, jewels and money" as well as being "trustworthy" and possessing "good mathematical skills." I do not disagree with these traits but the quiz did not specify which type of career I would have at Gringotts. Seeing as the bank employs curse-breakers I would say that these two quizzes match and are accurate. So far this term I have not seen curse-breaker exclusively but it is definitely one that I have been interested in from the beginning.
Prof. Maxim Trevelyan
Nimbus 1000

Post by Prof. Maxim Trevelyan »

The most prominent value that I got was Economic with 13, then followed by Social, Political and Theoretical with 11. On the lower spectrum of strength were Religious (8) and Aesthetic (6). I was surprised with the results, since I thought that Social would be highest, then perhaps Theoretical, but I suppose that between 13 and 11, there is really no big difference.

Since I have four values on a ''higher'' scale, I decided to only look for careers with the Economic value, which are alchemist, arithmancer, auror, broommaker, chief of staff, curse-breaker, healer, herbologist, obliviator, potioneer, spell inventor, and wandmaker. I think that only careers that interest me from the listed are auror and curse-breaker.

However, I did get Auror as my result in the Wizarding Jobs quiz, which goes along with the Economic value. It also complements the high Social and Political values at 11. While this is not the job I have been working towards the entire term, it is an interesting alternative that I have toyed with, but ultimately, probably will not choose.

I wanted to be a Professor, and the two jobs do share some values, namely Social and Political. Both jobs have to deal with people (some being harder to handle than others) and a person needs to have some sort of influence over them as well, otherwise you are pretty much toast.

In short, I am pleasantly surprised with the results, but will stick to my original career rather than switching to being an Auror.
...also a platonic soulmate and a hot mess of a human being.
Arlynn Cassidy
No broom

Post by Arlynn Cassidy »

The highest scoring value I got was Aesthetic at a score of fourteen followed by economic which was scored at thirteen. Political came in third at eleven, then social at eight, religious at seven and Theoretical at six. For the most part I have to agree with the assessment, however I was a bit surprised with the Theoretical and Political scores. I would have figured I would have gotten it the other way around or at least more of a Theoretical score and less of a Political one. The value for Aesthetic only had three careers listed; acter/actress, quidditch player, and wand maker. My favorite out of the three would have to be wand maker. Do to personal preferences and issues I would not likely look into the acter/actress or quidditch player options. In the test I got dragonologist as my wizarding career. Coming into the class I was debating upon magizoologist or healer so it’s not one I considered but its not one I would totally disregard either. The only difference between dragonologist and magizoologist would be the focus into dragons. Although I find dragons interesting and focusing upon them leaves more time to study them I would miss out on studying other fascinating creatures as well.
Prof. Astrid Black
No broom

Post by Prof. Astrid Black »

My important values were Aesthetic, Theoretical, and Religious. I can agree on the Aesthetic and Theoretical. I like beautiful things and I ponder greater mysteries all the time while I’m zoning out. I’m not super religious though. Nor am I against it. I just find it odd that it was listed so high on my values.

The job I go was Auror. I’m pretty comfortable with it. I could be an Auror, though it wasn’t on my life of things I possibly wanted to be. This job doesn’t match what my other tests say I should do for a living but then again, it’s not up to them to decide. Everyone is different. No matter if their personalities are the same type or not. They could go down very different paths in life, even with the same type of personality. This is because each individual is unique.

Return to “Career Advice”