Introductions

Class led by Prof. Gustavo Flores

Moderator: Prof. Gustavo Flores

Prof. Gustavo Flores
Silver Arrow

Introductions

Post by Prof. Gustavo Flores »

Dear students,

If you are enrolled in this class for the Spring Term 2018, please procede with our first Pet Discussion. This post is worth 10 points of your ASSIGNMENT 1.

Taken from the Class Website:

Please head to our Class Forum and introduce yourself to the rest of your classmates. Keep in mind that your introduction should include the following:

* Your name and HOL classes that you’re taking
* Your hobbies or any interesting fact about you that you want to share with the class
* Do you have a clear idea of what you want to do after you finish your magical education? Or are you still figuring out?
* Which is your favorite magical subject?
* Which is your least favorite subject or the one you find most difficult?

Please justify your answers and make your post at least 100 words long if you want to receive your complete 10 points. Thanks!
Bull J. Johnson
Cleansweep One

Re: Introductions

Post by Bull J. Johnson »

This term I'm taking:

Advanced Care of Magical Creatures
Beginners Defense Against the Dark Arts
Career Advice: Planning your Future
Dragons
Principles of Deep Magic

The reason for this is that this class last term said I should try to work with Dragons. I still rather work with werewolves, but I'm not that good with Defense Against The Dark Arts. This is also why I'm taking a beginner course in that subject. So far I'm doing very well in that course, but I couldn't send anything lest term. I'm hoping to be able to send more things in this term.re things in this term.
Prof. Will Lestrange
Shooting Star

Post by Prof. Will Lestrange »

NOTE: I am actually taking this class in Spring 2018, not Fall 2017. I'm commenting here for my introduction because as of now there is no Spring 2018 introduction thread.

My name is Will Lestrange and I'm a fifth year Slytherin Prefect. In addition to Career Advice, I am also taking Gobbledegook, When Muggles and Magic Collide II, and Treasure Hunt while continuing on with Astronomy from the fall. Of course, I'm also sitting my OWLs: I already have taken five of the six fall ones and plan to take at least four spring OWLs this time around as well.

People who haven't specifically had me in their classes tend to know me from Quidditch: it was the thing I most looked forward to when I signed up here nearly five years back. Indeed, not only am I a captain of my House team but I even have been sitting on the Quidditch Board for the past two years! This gives me crucial practice with leadership skills - which I feel can only be more useful as I draw closer to graduation. Fun fact: I was recently deemed Mx Slytherin for 2017 - and learning who "Judge Nickleby Duckling" was (as well as enjoying his comments) made me decide that I really want to take a class with him... so here I am right now!

After I finish my magical education? Slytherins should be ambitious and goal-oriented but I'm at a bit of a crossroads; although I think I have potential as a professional Quidditch player, I know that no one really does that for more than about 10 or 20 years. So I need to think of something to do long-term when I'm too old to fly as fast as I do now. Maybe some prestigious position in the Ministry - say - as an Unspeakable? I'd say "Minister of Magic" except for one small detail: Ministers of Magic tend to serve more as figureheads than have any true power in their own right.

My favorite magical subject is Charms because it's always well-taught and the spells taught are very useful (and stretch my magical repetorie). The subject that I find the most difficult is Arithmancy, at least the way it's taught at school: while I love working with numbers, school Arithmancy seems to assume everything is a zero, one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, or nine... and assigns each of those numbers very specific meanings which don't seem to square with reality! Having to pretend so many numbers don't even exist - and deny what I see around me to fit what the charts say - makes Arithmancy particularly hard.

One last thing that may NOT surprise you: "Prefects Who Gained Power" is my favorite bit of bedtime reading (at least in character ;))... you'll recognize my bed in the dungeons because it's the one with "Prefects Who Gained Power" by the pillow and Malumbrabas the Lethifold waiting atop the bed to serve as my topmost blanket!
Scarlett Lacarnum
No broom

Post by Scarlett Lacarnum »

Hello there. I am Scarlett Lacarnum, a 7th Year Ravenclaw prefect. It is my last year so I need this class to prepare for my future. :blink:

After graduation I would like to work with the Accidental Magical Reversal Squad or be a code breaker. Two different fields, I know but my interests are varied.

When not studying and reading I love to travel, be active, work with animals and am open to trying new activities.

My favorite and best subject has been Charms. I loved creating new spells and combining ones already known. Care of Magical Creatures is second due to my love of animals. I also like Transfiguration as I find it fascinating. My least favorite subject has been History of Magic. Not a history fan as I find it dreary and not exciting. -_- I also found out I am not great at potions. I really wanted to be great at that so I may have to keep practicing.
Arlynn Cassidy
No broom

Post by Arlynn Cassidy »

Hi everyone. My name is Arlynn Cassidy and I’m a third year Hufflepuff. This term I’m taking Basic Healing, Magical Plants A Study in Veganism, and of course this class too. I am also taking two full year classes; Astronomy and History of witchcraft. I love learning knew things, working with animals; especially dogs; reading, and trying knew hobbies. I don’t really know what I would like to do after graduation. Maybe a healer or magizoologist? Or maybe something I haven’t thought of yet. My favorite subject would probably be Care of Magical Creatures. Though if we go with all the classes I’ve taken in Hol that’s a bit harder because there are so many great classes. My least favorite class would be transfiguration, only because despite it’s seeming vercitility it’s too restrictive and dry for my taste. I guess something about myself would be that despite missing a lot with the forums the three years I’ve been attending Hol I’ve never had less then five classes in a term. There are just so many great things to learn and amazing teachers here.
Ravanya Maren
No broom

Post by Ravanya Maren »

Greetings all! I'm a rather late addition to the class, but I'll certainly work my hardest to catch up with you all.

My name is Ravanya Maren, I'm a first year Slytherin. Under the close eye of my guardians, I've come to accept that I have a strong Inner Eye and that my talents would be best suited as something such as a Seeress. I suppose the most interesting fact people would find about me are that I've already spouted one possible prophecy. As for hobbies, I enjoy flying and hiking.

Unsurprisingly, my favorite subject would have to be Divination, although it was not offered this term. Instead, I'm currently taking Ancient Runes and Wand-making along with this class -- hopefully, between these and my transferred grades from my previous school, I can move on to the next year. Out of all the subjects, I have astronomy to be the most difficult for me: there are simply just too many stars; too many variables.
Prof. Maxim Trevelyan
Nimbus 1000

Post by Prof. Maxim Trevelyan »

My name is Maxim Trevelyan and I am a third year Ravenclaw. Besides this class I am also taking a Full-Year class The History of Witchcraft, Word Magic, Survival and Fantastic Worlds and Where to Find Them.

I currently do not have as much time to indulge my hobbies, since a thesis is taking up all my time, but when I do have time, I indulge in yoga, rock climbing, other sports and video games.

I am still figuring out what exactly I want to become after finishing my magical education, but if I had to choose, I would either become a professor (Care of Magical Creatures or Defense Against the Dark Arts) or I would become involved in magical judiciary system. I am leaning more towards the latter though.

My favorite subject has to be Care of Magical Creatures. I love being outdoors and taking care of animals, be it magical or otherwise. My least favorite subject is Herbology. While this class is also mostly held outdoors, I found out that I just do not have a green thumb, unfortunately.
...also a platonic soulmate and a hot mess of a human being.
Prof. Astrid Black
No broom

Post by Prof. Astrid Black »

Hello dolls! My name is Astrid Black, seventh year Ravenclaw Prefect. It's my very last term ever, which makes me sad but I'm going out with some great classes. I'm taking this class, Care of Magical Creatures, Norse Myths and Legends, Magical Plants: A Study of Veganism, and Herbology. It's pretty well-rounded as most of my classes have gone. I honestly have no clue what I'm going to do after this term. I know I'm not one to be behind a desk or something like that so most Ministry jobs are out for me. I do like healing though. Perhaps I should look into being a Healer. I like to travel too though. Explore new places, try new things. I wonder if there's a Healers Without Borders type thing like the muggles have with their Doctors.

I should check into that. Regardless I'm still figuring it out.

Out of all my subjects my favorite was a toss up between Potions and Astronomy. Potions was a lot of fun and I've always loved Astronomy. The one I've found to be the most difficult is Ancient Runes. Don't get me wrong, I loved it, but it was hard for me to grasp the magic of it at times and really get that connection with the stones that you need to properly understand the course. It was still a great class. There isn't much I have to dislike with classes. I love to learn and these past seven years have been truly wonderful.

Return to “Career Advice”