The Hero and the Crown * Part 1 - Chapters 7 - 11

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

The Hero and the Crown * Part 1 - Chapters 7 - 11

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

Graphic shows a drawing (close-up) of person with red hair; this person is holding sword upright in front of them. The blade of the sword obscures a great deal of the face. One large, worried eye, part of the nose and mouth are seen. In the background is a black mountain. The sword appears to have bloodstains on it. It also appears to have a damask blade. ~ eyes_of_doom_by_teezersattempts

You will have noticed, by now, that the book isn't written 'time' sequentially. That is "the first third of the book covers Aerin’s early life, but it doesn’t do it in order. It begins with the same events it ends with, and goes back and fills in, and does that in a hopping about manner rather than as straightforward flashbacks." ~ Joe Walton

I found this to be rather fascinating, because each 'topic' was explored back and forth, with greater detail each time. But does it work for you? Also, what has happened which surprises you? Anything?

Please remember to include spoiler tags when discussing specifics.
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Re: The Hero and the Crown * Part 1 - Chapters 7 - 11

In this part of the book, the 2nd of 4 quarters, I learned a lot more about Aerin. Why she is the way she is, and the choices she has made -- which ends up in her being the way she is. So many choices, all building on each other. Going backwards and forwards in time actually works as a writing device -- at least when used by such a talented writer as Robin McKinley! A choice made 'here', in time, results in a consequence made 'here', in time.

Going back and forth, explaining the making and use of kenet, explaining her relationships with her father, and other members of the royal family, why they act the way they do .... and suddenly we are returned to the start of the story.

It's fascinating to see how an extremely talented writer can tell a story -- let alone the story itself being very very good.
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Shiloh Adlar
Cleansweep One

Post by Shiloh Adlar »

This may actually be the reason that I am having difficulty with this book. The time hopping that is happening is very hard for me to keep up with and events are getting lost in my head. I'm left more confused than anything and getting extremely frustrated with it.

The final two chapters in this part were more sequential and understandable. No jumping around. I'm hoping part two deters from that style. While I know many people probably enjoy it, at least from my viewpoint of already having difficulties with comprehension and words, I utterly hate it. It is not enjoyable at all, and I'm having to force myself to finish.
Shiloh Adlar, Seventh Year
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Shiloh Adlar wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:30 am This may actually be the reason that I am having difficulty with this book. The time hopping that is happening is very hard for me to keep up with and events are getting lost in my head.
I think you will be happy with the rest of the story, Shiloh, if you continue on. At least you will be more happy with how the story is written.

Return to “Book Teasers”