Prompt: I Thoroughly Recommend the....

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Prof. Sky Alton
Twigger 90

Prompt: I Thoroughly Recommend the....

Post by Prof. Sky Alton »

But The Very Useful Guide mentioned a particularly good inn at Orchyre that served a famous jellied eel…
-Garth Nix, Lirael

A while ago over on Ink Splatters we talked about the importance of food in books. But in fictional worlds where there’s no such thing as a ‘Very Useful Guide’, how do intrepid heroes know which inn to stop at after a long days travel? Let’s help them out a bit.

For this prompt, I’d like you to write a restaurant review (200 words or more) for a fictional inn, restaurant, café or food stall. You could write a review of the Prancing Pony from the point of view of a Hobbit food blogger, give Daily Prophet readers a run-down of The Three Broomsticks new menu or anything else you can think of. Just make it fictional and make it foody (and HOL appropriate, of course).

You’ll earn 20 beans for completing this prompt as well as it counting towards the chance to snag our shiny Quill and Ink award.

There is no deadline as such for these prompts but if you’d like it to count towards your chance of earning the award for a specific year, we’ll need it by the end of that school year. If you’re comfortable sharing, then post below. If not, email your story to us via hol.bookclub @ gmail.com (without the spaces). Oh and remember it’s a good idea to check through your piece carefully for spelling and grammatical errors as they make it harder for people to properly enjoy your work.
"Growing up doesn't have to mean I lose the cape, the faith, the dream. I'm so done with that... I'm taking it back."
(Av/sig by S. Elf)
Iverian Gnash
Cleansweep One

Re: February Prompt: I Thoroughly Recommend the....

Post by Iverian Gnash »

(I'm going for a review of a restaurant in Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs just cause.... it sounds awesome :lol: )

Ever had to wait long minutes for your food to arrive while you sit silently starving at the table? Well, not anymore. Come on down to Swallow Falls where the food literally falls out of the sky! Now, you shouldn't just go to any old diner regardless of the fact that they all serve the same thing on Swallow Falls. You should wander into Food Falls Diner for the experience of a lifetime.

As you step into the open roofed restaurant, watch for falling food and carefully take a seat under one of the umbrella'd tables and wait for the food to come raining down (which, if you plan it correctly, shouldn't be that long ;) ). A hole in the top of the funneled umbrella allows for food to safely slide onto the table, landing on one large plate. The waiters/waitresses will come around and prepare the food into delicious servings and dish it out on individuals plates as you watch.

The interior of Food Falls Diner is intricately decorated with weather proof floors and walls in various colors and patterns. The tables and chairs are made out of glass that can withstand extreme pressure if, for instance, a large meatball were to land right on it.

One issue with this restaurant is it's hard to plan when to go as you won't know what is to be served those days until at the earliest four days before.

It all depends on the weather, but food fanatics everywhere should give this 5-star restaurant a shot.
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. - Dalai Lama
Adaleine Shuster

Re: February Prompt: I Thoroughly Recommend the....

Post by Adaleine Shuster »

The Leaky Cauldron: More than just the passway into Diagon Alley
Report by Adaleine Shuster

I'm sure you've all heard of The Leaky Cauldron. It is, afterall, the only known way to get to Diagon Alley without magical methods. Most people just walk through the pub without stopping to have a look at what they serve. They serve butterbeer, as well as several "Pick me ups". If you are wishing for some food you are in luck, as they serve tons of it! They have rather large meals, as well as some soups. This morning I was enjoy a tradional English breakfast... yum! Tom, the barmen is really nice, and if you request changes to a dish he will most likely say yes. If you are a traveler looking for a nice, big meal this really is your place. They have 10 different kinds of soup, ranging from tomato to escargot and orange juice. I thought that the latter was absolutely delicious! I was given a free pastrami sandwich, and while the meat was a touch dry, it was pretty good. The bread was actually soft, not the rock hard bread I was expecting :D If you need a place to sleep the Leaky Cauldron is also an inn, and Harry Potter himself even stayed there a couple of years back! All in all I would say it is 5 broomsticks, and you should definitely stop by if you are in the area.

Return to “Quill and Ink”