Camp NaNoWriMo

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Reggy Faraday
No broom

Camp NaNoWriMo

Post by Reggy Faraday »

I just found out about this a few days ago-- a NaNoWriMo even in July! It's a smaller endeavor than the NaNoWriMo in November. You can set your own word count goal for your project, and join an online "cabin" with other writers to encourage each other. It looks super fun!

Anyone else doing this, or have done this before?
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Re: Camp NaNoWriMo

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

Go for it and good luck! The cabins are fun.

I've done the Nanowrimo, and it's interesting, challenging and me and my story made it! I also tried the summer thing, Reggy, and fell to the wayside, but it wasn't because of their set-up. RL sort of got in the way.
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Reggy Faraday
No broom

Post by Reggy Faraday »

Congrats on you and your story making it!!

I tried the 50,000 word NaNoWriMo once years ago, I think I only made it to 28,000 and some odd. Of course, I was also in school at the time, so my attention was very split. RL and NaNoWriMo kept clashing for me. But hey, maybe trying one in July will be different! (I can have high hopes, right?)
Prof. Sky Alton
Twigger 90

Post by Prof. Sky Alton »

NaNoWriMo ninja overhere. I've done camp 3 times (it's a blast, particularly if you get a good cabin) and the main November challenge 4 times. You could say I'm a bit too into it as I usually end up writing around 150 thousand words. Nevertheless, I love helping people through it so if you guys ever give it another go (or if anyone's considering taking the plunge for the first time), I'll be happy to encourage/bully you , whatever's required. I'm meant to be signing on as ML (regional volunteer) this year too so pep talks are gonna be coming out my ears by the Autumn. Yep...definitely too into it.
"Growing up doesn't have to mean I lose the cape, the faith, the dream. I'm so done with that... I'm taking it back."
(Av/sig by S. Elf)
Reggy Faraday
No broom

Post by Reggy Faraday »

Wow, that's a lot of words!!! And volunteering, I'd say that pretty into it, yeah!

Wish I could write that much. I have such a hard time writing in long bursts. I have a pretty small challenge for myself this time, just 15,000 words. I'm at 3,620 right now. I think I'm finally making the for-real jump from short stories to a novella this time! This story is definitely not as compact as my other works, that's for sure. I'm really enjoying the camp so far!
Hufflepuff second year :: re1080

"'I wish somebody would write a story sometime about the people who warm up the heroes afterward.'" - Moominland Midwinter
Lavinia Rookwood
No broom

Post by Lavinia Rookwood »

I've not tried the camp, but I've tried the november one. And failed all three times. Although I have figured out that maybe I need to come up with some sort of outline for it, because what hurt me everytime was not knowing where to go next. So maybe this november will be different?
Prof. Sky Alton
Twigger 90

I know, my wordcounts are regular monsters. I blame my touch typing speed being well over 100 words per minute; my fingers fly faster than my brain a lot of the time. Much gets shed in the editing process though. (Quality, not quantity. I had to learn how to write good short form just like other people have to learn to get used to long form.)

As for a plan, I think it depends on the idea. My very first I went into with no idea of where it was going, wrote straight through to 50000 without really getting stuck and it turned out to be my favourite writing project ever (Still is). The next year, I went into it with the plot vaguely mapped out and that went fine too. The year after, I didn't have a plan and the idea just completely fizzled out. So last year, I planned down to what would happen in every 5000 word block. It got me there but I loathed the writing process. I guess it depends on what kind of mind you have but I'd certainly recommend having a loose plan, not a strict one. That way you still feel like you're creating along the way but you don't get stuck.
"Growing up doesn't have to mean I lose the cape, the faith, the dream. I'm so done with that... I'm taking it back."
(Av/sig by S. Elf)
Prof. Sky Alton
Twigger 90

Do we have any HOL campers taking part in Aprils session? If so, good luck!!! Happy writing!
(Av/sig by S. Elf)
Katya Snow
No broom

Post by Katya Snow »

\0/ Day 22 and i made 50,000 words! now my arm hurts and i'm considering having Madam Pomfry remove it. lol! something must be wrong with me because i'm already planning for HolWriMo!

Return to “Quill and Ink”