Prompt: Book Combinations

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Prompt: Book Combinations

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

What would happen if you took a couple of your favorite books, merged their titles, and came up with an entirely new (and different) book --- and story?

For example, while reading The Da Vinci Code (by Dan Brown), one might also be reading Rapture in Death (by J D Robb). Imagine a book entitled Da Vinci Death (or The Da Vinci Rapture). What would happen in those books?

Take two books of your choice and combine their names. Write a short story of at least 200 words based on this new book. Please remember to keep your choice HOL-appropriate.

You’ll earn 20 beans for completing this prompt as well as it counting towards the chance to snag our shiny Quill and Ink award.

There is no deadline as such for these prompts but if you’d like it to count towards your chance of earning the award for a specific year, we’ll need it by the end of that school year. If you’re comfortable sharing, then post below. If not, email your story to us via hol.bookclub @ gmail.com (without the spaces). Oh and remember it’s a good idea to check through your piece carefully for spelling and grammatical errors as they make it harder for people to properly enjoy your work.
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Maralyn Bradford
No broom

Re: Prompt 3: Book Combinations

Post by Maralyn Bradford »

What What?? First post? Don't mind if I do!

Dawn of the Arcana and War of Worlds- Dawn of the War

I felt my world crashing around me at the news: Johnny was being drafted. You see, Johnny and I had been best friends since we could barely talk. We grew up in a hick town close to the southern coast of the States and our birthdays were six days apart, him being the older one. The woods behind my house held our secret hideout and Mrs. Witherington down the street gave us ice cream every Tuesday. He was there for me when Ma passed away three years back and I was there for him through all of his high school heart breaks. We were two peas in a pod, Johnny and I. It was nothing more than that, of course. We’ve always been just friends. After all, it’s kind of hard to be infatuated with someone you saw whine for three hours because someone stole his fire truck toy… in the sixth grade. But I loved Johnny nonetheless, and he loved me. Because of this, on the day we graduated high school we made a promise. If neither of us had settled down and gotten married by the age of twenty-eight we would run off and get married. Now I regretfully inform you that I turned twenty-eight yesterday. I was real happy when he proposed- Pa cried he was so overjoyed. His mama took pictures of the whole thing for us and sent it in to be developed. I never expected to get a call the very next morning from her- but I did, and here we are.

Return to “Quill and Ink”