November Prompt: It's getting CHILLY out there!

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

November Prompt: It's getting CHILLY out there!

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

We have a focus on 'Winter' in our November Book Trivia Game. Is there anything in books or stories which focus on winter - as a season or a time of year - which has caught your imagination?

There is one 'quote' which I immediately think of! A series of books, highly regarded by many and made into film, contains a phrase and always I think of snow and ice and wind. (Do you know of what I write?) Post below with any book or movie or book made into a movie which, to you, is explicitly pointing at winter.

If you post with words, your write-up needs to be at least 100 words to count towards Beans (and any possible award)! If you post a graphic, please keep it to 600x600 or smaller, and write a brief description underneath what the graphic depicts.

You will receive 20 Beans when you post. Any replies in here, through the school year, will be credited towards a possible award. As always, please keep to HOL appropriate sources for your post.

There is no deadline as such for these prompts but if you’d like it to count towards your chance of earning the award for a specific year, we’ll need it by the end of that school year. If you’re comfortable sharing, then post below. If not, email your story to us via hol.bookclub @ gmail.com (without the spaces).

Remember to click preview before posting to look for spelling and grammatical errors -- or see if auto-correct changed what you wanted to write to something entirely else!
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Hannah Lovegood
Oakshaft 79

Re: November Prompt: It's getting CHILLY out there!

Post by Hannah Lovegood »

Narnia (from The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe) is set in winter and it is always snowing.
Silvana Mandeville
Silver Arrow

Post by Silvana Mandeville »

The Nutcracker and the Four Realms. When a girl crossed a fantasy world on the Christmas Eve.
Hiya Debnath
Oakshaft 79

Post by Hiya Debnath »

While thinking of winter brings many books to mind, I thought I would like to use this opportunity to discuss a book from my favorite genre - fantasy. "The Bear and the Nightingale" by Katherine Arden, is Katherine Arden's debut novel set in the chilly winter season. It is based in the lands of Russia where temperatures are constantly low. The story is based on Russian folklore and depicts a young girl fond of fairytales told by her grandmother, especially those about the winter demon Frost. However, her world turns upside down when her father remarries and in comes her stepmother. Her stepmother prevents her family from continuing the tradition of honoring the household spirits which brings harm upon them and causes evil things to happen. The girl is then forced to use her hidden powers to remedy the situation. A thrilling fantasy drama story full of magic, set against a chilly backdrop, this book is a perfect read by the fireplace with a cup of coffee or hot chocolate in hand. Throughout the book, one is glued to it's pages, reading about the young girl discovering herself throughout the book and coming to terms with her powers. The entire book is a very magical read with magic playing an important role in all the occurrences. Despite the very common evil stepmother trope, this is not just a simple fairytale but one that in many ways is inspiring and teaches some important values while giving little glimpses into the cultural beliefs in Russia. I truly enjoyed reading this book very much.

2.11.2024 - Beans sent - Tarma
Last edited by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black on Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: 2.11.2024 - Beans sent - Tarma
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light." - Albus Dumbledore.

Return to “Between the Pages”