The Plot Thickens

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

The Plot Thickens

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

We are all aware of what happened in the Harry Potter books. (Well, probably most of us are aware of that, being as you are here.) But what if, in JK Rowling's imaginings, something was a little (or a lot) different?

How would the story have changed if:

1) Lily Evans decided to dump James Potter and chose Severus Snape in their 7th year?
and/or
2) Petunia Dursley ended up taking a Kwik-spell Course when she was a teenager?
and/or
3) Dudley was friends with Harry, having managed (somehow) to be immune to his parent's brainwashing (and the resonances coming from them at Harry).

Or - is there another book or series of books, which would have some interesting changes in the story if something within the story changed? What book or story? Who is the author? What is the situation and what you suggest as a change? What might happen if that change was made?

Please keep your posts HOL-appropriate. If you put graphics in the post, please keep them to 600x600 or less (and give credit where credit is due).
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Prof. Maxim Trevelyan
Nimbus 1000

Re: The Plot Thickens

Post by Prof. Maxim Trevelyan »

I read a book based on this premise and it actually came from the author herself. I am talking about Life and Death: Twilight Reimagined by Stephenie Meyer. This story is a rewrite of the Twilight book, with all people, but select few, having their genders switched. Bella Swan becomes Beau and Edward Cullen becomes Edythe.

I heard about this book from a classmate of mine, who is a huge fan of Twilight series. She was excited about the book with switched genders coming out and told me I should read it if I ever get the chance. So I said, why not, and got my hands on it.

I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised. I liked it much better than the original book. Now, the story pretty much goes exactly like Bella-version, but the ending was changed and that meant everything to me. I hated the fact that at the end of Breaking Dawn, Bella got everything she wanted, happy family, a daughter, all her friends were alive, Jacob stayed with her since he imprinted on her daughter and so on. It was too perfect and I my opinion, she should have sacrificed something when she became a vampire.

However, at the end of Life and Death, when Beau was turned into a vampire, he had to fake his death and stay out of contact with his family forever. I much preferred this ending and I wished that if there had to be a series, it would be about Beau and Edythe and not Bella and Edward.
...also a platonic soulmate and a hot mess of a human being.

Return to “Between the Pages”