Favourite Characters

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Prof. Sky Alton
Twigger 90

Favourite Characters

Post by Prof. Sky Alton »

A lightning scar, a fallen star, knights around a table. A princess bride, prejudice and pride, someone from a fable. Bearers of rings, killers of kings, tributes playing games. Brooding on moors, shrinking for doors, we always remember their names.

As many books as there are in the world, there are many, many more characters that inhabit them. While a plot is what keeps us turning the pages, characters are what make it worth it and they’re often what stay in our minds long after we’ve closed the book.

So, who are your favourite characters? What makes them stick in your head? Did you like them from the outset or did they earn it as you went along? As a rule, do you like protagonists, secondary characters or antagonists the best? Whatever character related thoughts you’d like to share, this is the place!

Just remember, if you’re going to post specific plot details, please use spoiler tags to allow everyone else to experience your favourites for themselves.
"Growing up doesn't have to mean I lose the cape, the faith, the dream. I'm so done with that... I'm taking it back."
(Av/sig by S. Elf)
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Re: Favourite Characters

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

As a general rule, when I read books (and watch movies) I find I get more involved if there is at least one character (hopefully more) in the story or movie who accept responsibility for where they are. That doesn't mean that they 'made' the situation, necessarily. It means that they see where they are, see how they got into it, and then choose to do something about it. It might be they are in a lovely situation and decide to stay there!

It also might be that they are in a situation they don't like, and choose otherwise.

I like characters who are pro-active in resolving situations for themselves. They might not be the nicest person, they might not be the smartest person, but they are the person who accepts whatever situation they are in and does what they have to do to get out of it, or deal with it to the best of their ability.

I'm thinking of Simon in the Mortal Instruments series (by Cassandra Clare). I'm thinking of Han Solo in the Star Wars movies. Neither would be called the 'hero' of the story but somehow I find them a lot more interesting than Jace or Luke Skywalker.

Or there is Daine (Veralidaine Sarrasri) of the Wild Magic series (by Tamora Pierce) or Queenie in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, who are not the most 'powerful' persons in the books or movie (and screenplay) and yet their actions, and choices, end up affecting the outcome of the situations in which they are involved almost more decisively than the actions of the 'heroes' of the story or movie.
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Marie Dark
Oakshaft 79

Post by Marie Dark »

Well, one of my favorite characters in the Potter World would be Hermione. I was never as smart or clever as she and I usually took a shine to the smartest kids in school growing up. But that's in the Potter series. I have others.
Robert Langdon from "The DaVinci Code" series. Here's another example of someone who is intelligent and quick to figure out puzzles. These stories take you places to figure out the "Who Done It" questions...
Meggie Folchart from "Inkheart" she was raised around books and naturally it seemed that intellectual smarts came with her upbringing to get her through the series.
Now I do recommend the two other books to read, and if you've only seen the Harry Potter movies, then you most certainly need to read them because reading the books open a whole different look inside these worlds.
Hannah R Thomas
No broom

Post by Hannah R Thomas »

I couldn't agree with you more Marie :) I've always looked up to Hermione as a child and I still do, for her craziness about academics and just being brave. I always enjoy books of female protagonists who are represented with strong character. One series that I always look back on is Vampire Academy, with Rose (Rosemary) Hathaway, who is a dhampir (half-human, half-vampire), trained to protect her best friend, a vampire Moroi princess, Lissa, from the Strigoi race.

I am currently reading a series by Kerri Maniscalco, called Stalking Jack the Ripper, which revolves around mysteries of the late 1800s. The one solving these mysteries is a young woman, Audrey Rose Wadsworth, daughter of a lord, who is supposed to be seen as this woman of high prestige, supposed to get married, acting like a lady, etc. However, she does stuff that the outside world doesn't know the life she does and wants: practicing forensic medicine. To summarize, Audrey's life crosses that into the mysterious murders committed by "Jack the Ripper" and other murder mysteries that she tries to get her hands on, with the help of friends and family to gain access and solve these crimes
Success just doesn't come and find you, you have to go get it yourself - Carmichael
Happiness can be found in the darkest of times if one remembers to turn on the light - Albus Dumbledore

Return to “Between the Pages”