Geek Moments

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Geek Moments

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

Sometimes, while reading a book or watching a movie, we will run across a reference to something else which has or is a reference to another book or movie.

The book Ready Player One, by Ernest Kline, follows the story of Wade Watts, someone who has made himself a geek about the 1980s because he wants to 'win the prize'. As Parzival, he tracks down obscure references to minutiae which the creator of OASIS, James Halliday, sprinkled throughout the MMOSG (massively multiplayer online simulation game).

Nerd. : “socially awkward” and “an intelligent but single-minded person obsessed with a nonsocial hobby or pursuit” Geek. : “a digital-technology expert or enthusiast” and “a person who has excessive enthusiasm for and some expertise about a specialized subject or activity”

I'm not Perzival but I still have moments of glee when I recognize a reference to a favorite book (or story or movie). I think that maybe even more of a Geek Moment is when the clues are there all along and then the 'solution' is laid out in front of you (like what was done for Perzival by H) and you can't believe you didn't get it already. :o

Logan is a man, Darcy is a woman --

Logan: "You have four older sisters. And I thought I had it bad, with India and China."
Darcy: "And how is it your sisters were named after exotic foreign countries while you were named after an airport?"
"Quirky folks. I just feel lucky they didn't call me Madagascar or Sri Lanka."
"Yet another thing we have in common--quirky parents. Mine are English professors. My sisters and I are named after literary figures. I guess that makes them quirky but predictable."
"Darcy, I can't recall a Darcy from college English."
"Him--it's a surname."
He gave a short laugh. "As in Fitzwilliam Darcy? You're named after Mr. Darcy?"
"It gets worse. My sisters are Mary, Kitty, Lydia and Lizzie. My full name is Darcy Jane."

I'd read the whole story up to this point. Many were the references to the names of the sisters, but nothing happened. Then I read that and .... Geek Moment .... and being so 'I cannot believe I didn't see that' about having missed it through the WHOLE book! (The reference, of course, is to Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.)

Have you read a book which had in it references to something entirely else, a book, a movie, and you got it (before it was laid out flat to get)? Or you got it when the reference(s) were explained and it was still really cool? What was it? What did you do?

Please remember to use spoilers if this is about something which is recently printed or published. Also, remember to follow HOL guidelines for your post.
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris

Return to “Between the Pages”