Moderator: Book Club Heads

Hannah Lovegood
Oakshaft 79

Book Review - The City of Ember

Post by Hannah Lovegood »

Title: The City of Ember
Author: Jeanne DuPrau
Genre: Science Fiction (children's)

The City of Ember was about 2 kids that have to help their city, which is entirely in darkness. The girl (Lina) is a messenger and she had this message for the Mayor. She goes there and she decides to go all the way up to the roof and when the people found her, they were not very happy with her. They want to do bad stuff to her but the person in charge said, “Don't do that again.” The boy (Doon) worked underground, helping try to keep the lights on in the city.
Silvana Mandeville
Silver Arrow

Re: Book Review - The City of Ember

Post by Silvana Mandeville »

Title: City of Ember
Author: Jeanne DuPrau
Genres: Sci-fi, Apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic fiction
Summary of story: Many hundreds of years ago, the city of Ember was created by the Builders to contain everything needed for human survival. It worked but now the storerooms are almost out of food, crops are blighted, corruption is spreading through the city and worst of all—the lights are failing. Soon Ember could be engulfed by darkness. But when two children, Lina and Doon, discover fragments of an ancient parchment, they begin to wonder if there could be a way out of Ember.

Good and Bad Points: One thing that caught my interest from this story is the city, Ember. It is a good book with great plots. I read them while imagining the city, having to live in a city that was so dark with limited light. It's quite scary, but of course not for people of Ember who have been spending their life there. The most interesting thing was the time they lost the box, it's a good start, though. Then, Lina found the box and together with Doon, they solved everything and went out from the Ember. I loved it in the movie when they were out, it was dark and they were disappointed but when the sunrise it was a beautiful sight and a relief for them, also for me who watched it. The lack from the book may be the characters building, it was as if their personality were switched so quickly.

Return to “The Bookshelf”