Silvana Mandeville
Silver Arrow

Book Review - Paper Boats

Post by Silvana Mandeville »

Title: Paper Boats
Original Title: Perahu Kertas
Author: Dewi Lestari
Genres: Fiction
Summary of story: For as long as she can remember, Kugy has loved to write. Whimsical stories are her passion, along with letters full of secret longings that she folds into paper boats and sets out to sea. Sensitive and introverted, Keenan is an aspiring artist, but he feels pressured to pursue a more practical path. He's drawn to Kugy from first sight: she's unconventional, and the light radiating from her eyes and the warmth of her presence pull him in. They seem like a perfect match--both on and off the page--but revealing their secret feelings means risking their friendship and betraying the people they love most.

Good and Bad Points: I never planned to read this book before because I think it would turn out just like those romance novels. Especially when I asked my friends and they said they only watched the movie. And again when I read the reviews on Goodreads, I was unsure to read it because I'm afraid it would be boring. But I decided to give it a try, though. The book was originally written in Indonesian and later translated to English, maybe some of the readers find it awful because the translator didn't do a good job xD. The book is fairly good, though I don't really like the main character, their personality isn't that good enough, but the book itself teaches us, the readers, many things. Like when Keenan met Wanda, we can learn something from it that; You can buy anything with your money but you can't buy someone you love. Next thing I learn is never force ourself on someone when we know their heart is still filled by someone else.

"This is not a fairy tale. This is real life. You must face it. You must be brave. You mustn't lie to yourself, to people you love. Not all the fairy tales have a happy ending. The same goes for our reality." I love this quote.

And lastly, I love Luhde rather than any character, she is strong, intelligent, and mature in saying something, when deciding something, etc. If Luhde ever comes to Hogwarts, I'm sure she would be sorted into Ravenclaw.

Return to “The Bookshelf”