Iverian Gnash
Cleansweep One

Book Review: Flipped

Post by Iverian Gnash »

Title: Flipped
Author: Wendelin Van Draanen
Genres: Romance, YA, Realistic Fiction

Story Summary:

I normally don't read realistic fiction, but it had been borrowed from the library and I decided to give it a chance. I ended up loving it!

Flipped is about a boy (Bryce) who moves into a new neighborhood and meets a girl (Juli) as soon as he moves in. He doesn't like her at all as she and her family are a bit *weird* to him so he tries to ignore her as much as he can. She doesn't let up trying to gain his attention from around second grade all through seventh until a few events happen right before eighth which leads her to start hating Bryce. Around this time, Bryce begins to see her in a different light after his grandfather starts actually talking to him and he begins wishing Juli would pay attention to him like she used to. The book ends with things starting to sort themselves out, but we don't get the great conclusion I would have liked.

Overall, I thought it was a great read that really gets you seeing things from different people's perspectives that you wouldn't have thought of at first. The book kept changing perspectives every chapter from Bryce's to Juli's so right as you thought you had something figured out and had established your own opinions, you get the other side of the story which makes you all confused over again.
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. - Dalai Lama

Return to “The Bookshelf”