Book Review: The Royal Art of Poison

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Amy Darvill
Oakshaft 79

Book Review: The Royal Art of Poison

Post by Amy Darvill »

Title of the book: The Royal Art of Poison

Authors: Eleanor Herman

Genres: Nonfiction, History, a wee bit Scientific.

Short summary of the story/Review: Not a story per se, but a recounting of famous cases of deaths and poisonings in mostly the middle ages, but not limited to just that. Also a major mood killer for all of us who dreamed of being a medieval princess or prince. Truly an age where the medicine might just kill before it cured you.

The book is split into three sections. The first gives a general history of medicines, makeup, poison detectors, and the like. It's also where the book, while not graphic, is maybe not the best right before supper. The second and the majority of the book are famous counts of poisoning. A small history is given of the person up to their death, autopsy notes (both at time of death and modern when possible) are recounted and usually, a final diagnosis is given. The final part talks about the improvements of medicine and diagnosis and the dwindling counts of poison. Though that is not to say poisons have stopped entirely as the book brings up modern counts of poison, both of the intentional variety and the arsenic wallpaper variety.

It's written in a plain-speaking manner, so one doesn't need a science degree to understand it. But neither does it make light of what happens. I would probably liken it to working with a teacher's aid on a research assignment, not working with your best friend on it. And there are points that a touch dry, but the subject and histories recounted are interesting enough to make up for it. I would gladly read another of her books, but it's more like 7 or 8 out of 10 for me. Definitely good but not shout from the rooftops good.

I would say that despite being in the adult section, teenagers could read it. I might even suggest it, as sometimes knowing the awful sides is sometimes more interesting than the normal history lessons. So if you're studying any particularly French or English monarchy, this might be an interesting little addition.

Return to “The Bookshelf”