Joey Stark
Oakshaft 79

Book Review: Scythe

Post by Joey Stark » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:28 pm

Book Title: Scythe
Author: Neal Shusterman
Series: Arc of a Scythe
Genre: Sci-Fi, Young Adult

It may be early in the year but I can tell this is already going to be one of my favourites of 2019.

In a world where mortality is no longer an issue, the population must be...controlled by a consortium of individuals above the law known as Scythes, who are equally revered, respected and feared. Rowan and Citra find themselves in the sights of Hon. Scythe Faraday who takes them both on as reluctant apprentices, but there's only one Scythe ring to be won and amidst it all, the Scythedom itself is touched evermore by the ripples of corruption.

I'm new to delving back into the 'young adult' genre but it's books like this that make me so glad that I did. Saying that, Scythe doesn't read too much like a young adult book, in the that the writing and themes are refreshingly mature. The premise of the book is really interesting but more importantly, very well executed! For a pedant, I couldn't kind much to pick apart in the fluid plot. Shusterman shows real skill in the way he immediately captures your attention and then retains it unerringly for the entire book, and the very satisfying pace Scythe takes. The story line develops continually through the book, keeping the whole experience of reading it fresh and engaging.

The characters are great (I have a particular fondness for Scythe Faraday) and I am already on the second book in this series, because I NEEDED to keep reading this arc. I really recommend this book for young and older adults alike, a great story, well written and extremely addictive.

Return to “The Bookshelf”