Hannah R Thomas
No broom

Book Review - Stalking Jack the Ripper

Post by Hannah R Thomas »

Name: Stalking Jack the Ripper

Author: Kerri Maniscalco

Genre: Mystery, YA, History, Forensics

Summary:

Presented by James Patterson's new children's imprint, this deliciously creepy horror novel has a storyline inspired by the Ripper murders and an unexpected, blood-chilling conclusion...

Seventeen-year-old Audrey Rose Wadsworth was born a lord's daughter, with a life of wealth and privilege stretched out before her. But between the social teas and silk dress fittings, she leads a forbidden secret life.

Against her stern father's wishes and society's expectations, Audrey often slips away to her uncle's laboratory to study the practice of forensic medicine. When her work on a string of corpses drags Audrey into the investigation of a serial murderer, her search for answers brings her close to her own sheltered world.

The story's shocking twists and turns, augmented with real, sinister period photos, will make this dazzling, #1 New York Times bestselling debut from author Kerri Maniscalco impossible to forget.

Review:

The author brought out history and science that she gave multiple twists to. From the beginning, the description of the book, drew to me. It brought me to the one curious question about Jack the Ripper, in this story: will he be revealed or remain a mystery? This does go along the lines of mystery/suspense, crime drama, history with fantasy mixed in, and forensics. I'm not much of a science person, so the first few pages and other times did make my stomach turn. What really made want to dig deeper was the mystery. I do believe the ending was a little too fantasized to a point there seemed to be some unnecessary "crossover."

Another bonus I can say: you can't stay away from the characters! Audrey Rose and Thomas Cresswell just fit together and could see the drawing between the two of them. Audrey was that girl who wanted a different life for herself than the typical life for a woman: staying at home and take care of your children or going out on the streets to help pay for your family. She did have that girly side to her but was strong. Thomas was a man of mystery that you just want to get to know more about. Recommended!

8 out of 10 stars
Success just doesn't come and find you, you have to go get it yourself - Carmichael
Happiness can be found in the darkest of times if one remembers to turn on the light - Albus Dumbledore

Return to “The Bookshelf”