Moderator: Book Club Heads

Prof. Kendra Givens
Silver Arrow

Book Review: The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster

Post by Prof. Kendra Givens »

Title of the book: The Phantom Tollbooth

Authors: Norton Jester, Illustrations by Jules Feiffer

Genres: Children's Literature, Fantasy

Short summary of the story: Milo and his friends Humbug and Tock take a trip through the magical tollbooth in his bedroom to rescue the Princesses Rhyme and Reason who have been banished from the kingdom. They met many unique, quirky, characters along the way and learn a lot about making the most of their own adventures through life. Many of the ideas we take for granted are flipped on their heads, and it's a fun ride to examine the other perspectives the book offers.

Good points / bad points: The characters were wonderfully written, the puns were amazing, and there were so many moments geared toward adults that made me laugh out loud. The "makes me think" moments made me consider my own life, even if this book is designed for (older) children. I think a lot of it wouldn't be exactly understood by kids, but I think that's what sometimes makes kid's literature fun for adults to read with them. My friend has read this book multiple times both as a kid and as an adult and it's still one of his favorite books. I wish I'd read it sooner in life and am happy I thought of it now.

Return to “The Bookshelf”