Prof. Sirius Fudge
Cleansweep One

Re: Presenting Author - Rick Riordan

Post by Prof. Sirius Fudge »

Title of the book: The Sword of Summer
Authors: Rick Riordan
Series: Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard
Genres: Fantasy, Mythology, Fiction, Adventure

Short summary of the story: Magnus Chase, a son of one of the Norse Gods, died and became the Harbinger of Wolf in a prophecy involving letting loose the wolf that would hasten Ragnarok or the end of life as we know it in the nine worlds. Together with friends (an elf, a dwarf, an ex-Valkyrie, and friends from Valhalla), Magnus would embark on a quest where they would fish for a giant serpent, barter with gods, search for Thor's weapon, go on a crafting contest, and battle with fire giants. They would get to know themselves more, learn new skills, and appreciate each other more along the way.

Points: It is written in such a light manner, with lots of jokes embedded on it. I've never looked on Norse mythology before, just familiar with a few names of the Norse gods. The book is a good way to be introduced to Norse mythology. Since this is the first book in the series, I am open to reading the next one. Actually, I bought the book years ago. It is only now that I got to read the book in its entirety. It is a good read. *nods* I especially related myself to the decision-making of the characters, how one's choices affect not just one's life but also those of others. I like how each of the characters in the main group had their issues resolved and identities strengthened at the end.

Post Graduate | Huffle Staff | HQT | HOL Class of 2018
Aurelia West
Cleansweep One

Post by Aurelia West »

Title of the book: The Lightning Thief
Author: Rick Riordan
Series: Percy Jackson and the Olympians
Main Genres: Mythology, Young Adult, Fiction

I decided to start re-reading the Percy Jackson series recently in order to read along with a podcast and participate in discussion with the accompanying book club. Though I had recalled some of the larger plot points that are revisited in the following books, there were some smaller things I didn't remember that it tickled me to read again. I haven't re-visited the series since I first read it way back when I was in its target audience, and though I am not in that age range any longer, it was still a quick and fun read. Plus I was lucky enough to (completely on accident) end up checking out the illustrated version from the library and enjoyed having those mixed in with the text.

Like Tarma mentioned in her post re-reading The Lightning Thief, I really enjoyed the chapter titles and how they allude to what happens in the chapter while still being humorous. Percy as the POV character is fun to read about due to his trademark sarcasm and surprising wit. I also enjoyed the way his companions' backgrounds were slowly unraveled throughout the story as Percy and the reader learned more about the world we were being introduced to. The first time I read the series, as I was pretty young, so it really did serve as an introduction to the world of Greek mythology for me.

edit - Septem-bean beans sent! - Tarma
Last edited by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black on Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Septem-beans
Viviana Kingston
No broom

Post by Viviana Kingston »

Title: The Sun and the Star
Author: Rick Riordan
Genre: Mythology
Rating: 5/5
Category: traditional publishing, standalone
Age rating: all ages
Warnings: read in order else you may just spoil the whole PJO universe for yourself
Synopsis:
Nico di Angelo and his boyfriend Will Solace are demigods and while everyone is out and about from camp, they get a prophecy, one that Nico understands and has him venturing into his father’s kingdom without permission. Nico finds himself facing his demons, literally and figuratively, while having to navigate his relationship in a land where no living being should venture - the underworld.

Comments + opinion:
I was anticipating this read for too long and I was glad to have been able to purchase a copy. It was so angsty. This was one of those times I so wished that I was inside of the book with the characters so I could shake them out of their woes. The best scene had to be when Will had met Persephone in her garden. It was one of the most precious moments ever and I love how this book was focused on young love and the trials and inner turmoils one goes through when one’s been through trauma.
- Viviana Kingston
Carpe Librum
Even strength must bow to wisdom sometimes.
signature created by Katherine Laurier

Return to “The Bookshelf”