Presenting Series: A Court of Thorns and Roses

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Nora Nightingale
No broom

Presenting Series: A Court of Thorns and Roses

Post by Nora Nightingale »

Hey all! I wanted to see if anyone else has come across this awesome series.

Title of the book: A Court of Thorns and Roses
Authors: Sarah J. Maas
Other books in series: A Court of Mist and Fury. Third book is in the works.
Genres: Fiction, fantasy, romance, young adult up.
Short summary of the story: She stole a life. Now she must pay with her heart. When nineteen-year-old huntress Feyre kills a wolf in the woods, a beast-like creature arrives to demand retribution. Human's don't return when they cross the wall into the faerie realms, but if she refuses, her death is imminent anyway.
Good points / bad points: Both books are solid. Maas takes her time, unfolding the story carefully and artfully, so that even by the last third of the book the plot is still taking sudden twists. The romance isn't rushed, and it doesn't feel forced or unnecessary. And before any part of the story has a chance to get stale, Maas flips everything on it's head for book 2 (which in my opinion is even better than the first).

If you haven't read it, I highly recommend you read it. The first book is available on some free online reading websites, and I'm sure it's made its way to most libraries by now!
Prof. Amy Lupin
Shooting Star

Re: Presenting Series: A Court of Thorns and Roses

Post by Prof. Amy Lupin »

I read A Court of Thorns and Roses soon after it came out and really enjoyed it. I definitely plan on reading A Court of Mist and Fury sometime, as it sounds really promising! I really like Sarah J. Maas's writing style — I'm a fan of her Throne of Glass series in particular.
Nora Nightingale
No broom

Post by Nora Nightingale »

Prof. Amy Lupin wrote:I read A Court of Thorns and Roses soon after it came out and really enjoyed it. I definitely plan on reading A Court of Mist and Fury sometime, as it sounds really promising! I really like Sarah J. Maas's writing style — I'm a fan of her Throne of Glass series in particular.
I really enjoy her style of writing too! She really takes her time and constructs everything so well. A Court of Mist and Fury is AWESOME. So so so good. It takes a wild turn, by the end it almost feels like a different series. I cried when I finished it because I have to wait a year for the third book!
Amy Smith
Oakshaft 79

Book Review: Throne of Glass

Post by Amy Smith »

Title; Throne of Glass
Arthur:Sarah.J.Maas
Series:Throne of Glass series
Genre:Young Adult,Fantasy,Adventure,Fiction and Romance
Short summary of the story:

This story is about an eighteen year old assassin named Celaena Sardothien who had to do hard labour in the salt mines of Endovier for her crimes.There she was dragged in front of the Crown Prince Dorian of Adarlan who offered her freedom on one condition that she had to take part in a competition and become a champion to become a royal assassin for four years after which she will be given her freedom.But her opponents were men - thieves,assassins and warriors from all over the country,who were sponsored by each member of the king's empire.Celaena hed her training sessions with Captain Westfall ,who was the Captain of the Guard to the King of Adarlan.But she is really bored by the court and things get rather interesting when the Prince Dorian starts showing interest in her.But it is Captain Westfall who understands her rather well.But then something happens when all the contestants end up dead one by one.As Celaena investigates her search leads her to discover something which she never imagined.

This is what goodreads has to say:
There was a girl called Celaena Sardothien who served for a year of hard labor in the salt mines of Endovier for her crimes, 18-year-old assassin Celaena was dragged before the Crown Prince. Prince Dorian offers her her freedom on one condition: she must act as his champion in a competition to find a new royal assassin.Her opponents were men-thieves and assassins and warriors from all across the empire,each sponsored by a member of the king's empire.She has to beat all of her opponents in a series of eliminations and then serve the kingdom for four years and only then will she earn her freedom.Celaena finds her training sessions with the captain of the guard, Westfall, challenging and exhilarating. But she's bored stiff by court life. Things get a little more interesting when the prince starts to show interest in her ... but it's the gruff Captain Westfall who seems to understand her best.One after one all the contestants turned up dead. As the young assassin investigates, her search leads her to discover a greater destiny than she could possibly have imagined.
I liked the series a lot and this is my third time reading the series. It gets interesting in each book.I have no bad points to tell about the series because this was a really good series.
Last edited by Amy Smith on Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Amy Smith
Oakshaft 79

Re: Book Review: Throne of Glass

Post by Amy Smith »

Title: Crown of Midnight
Genre:Fantasy,Young Adult and Romance
Assassin Celaena Sardothien won a brutal contest to become his Champion. Yet Celaena is far from loyal to the crown. She hides her secret vigilantly; she knows that the man she serves is bent on evil.Keeping up the deadly charade becomes increasingly difficult when Celaena realizes she is not the only one seeking justice. As she tries to untangle the mysteries buried deep within the glass castle, her closest relationships suffer. It seems no one is above questioning her allegiances—not the Crown Prince Dorian; not Chaol, the Captain of the Guard; not even her best friend, Nehemia, a foreign princess with a rebel heart.Then one terrible night, the secrets they have all been keeping lead to an unspeakable tragedy. As Celaena's world shatters, she will be forced to give up the very thing most precious to her and decide once and for all where her true loyalties lie... and whom she is ultimately willing to fight for.

This is the second book of this series. This book tells us about how Celaena becomes the champion and how she has to work for 4 years for the king of Adarlan to gain her freedom.It also tells us as to how she makes a new friend called as Nehemia,who is a foreign princess and how both of them become best friends.It also tells us how she finds mysterious secrets buried in the deep within the glass castle.

Good points:
After I read the first book I honestly was very curious as to what will happen in the second book because it keeps on getting interesting and also I like what Sarah .J .Maas writes.If you have not read this book then would recommend you to read it.
Last edited by Amy Smith on Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:15 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Amy Smith
Oakshaft 79

Post by Amy Smith »

Title: Heir of Fire
Arthur: Sarah.J.maas
Genre:Young Adult,Fantasy and Romance

This is the third book of this series.This book tells us how Celaena has to face one of her darkest secrets,which is about her heritage and how she .has to face her aunt when she goes to another country.Meanwhile in Adarlan Chaol has to live with the fact that Aelin is half fae and Dorian has magical powers and also how a young healer helps Dorian control his power and keep his secrets.

Celaena has survived deadly contests and shattering heartbreak-but at an unspeakable cost. Now, she must travel to a new land to confront her darkest truth . . . a truth about her heritage that could change her life-and her future-forever. Meanwhile, brutal and monstrous forces are gathering on the horizon, intent on enslaving her world.Meanwhile back in Adarlan, Dorian tries to figure out what his new found magic is and how to control it with the help of a healer who risks her life to help Dorian keep his secrets. As this is all happens Chaol finds himself unable to come to terms with Celaena's half-Fae nature, which leads him into an underground movement to overthrown the King of Adarlan led by Celaena's cousin.
This is the third book of the throne of glass series.

There are a lot of twists in this book which will make you curious and I was really happy with this book when I was half way through the I was really happy with what was going on and also this book didn't disappoint me.
Last edited by Amy Smith on Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Amy Smith
Oakshaft 79

Post by Amy Smith »

Title: Queen of Shadows
Genre:Fantasy,Young Adult and Romance
This is the fourth book of the series.This book tells us as to how Celaena has finally made the choice to return to her kingdom and reclaim her identity as the Aelin Galathynius,Queen of Terrasen and how she will have to protect her kingdom form the evil forces of Erwan and how she also has to protect her cousin Aedin and her friends who have been trapped in the unspeakable prison of Adarlan and also how she has to gathered allies for the war which is to come.She also has to defeat the King of Adarlan

This is from goodreads:
Everyone Celaena Sardothien loves has been taken from her. But she's at last returned to the empire-for vengeance, to rescue her once-glorious kingdom, and to confront the shadows of her past...She has embraced her identity as Aelin Galathynius, Queen of Terrasen.But before she can reclaim her throne, she must fight.She will fight for her cousin, a warrior prepared to die just to see her again. She will fight for her friend, a young man trapped in an unspeakable prison. And she will fight for her people, enslaved to a brutal king and awaiting their lost queen's triumphant return.
As I said earlier this book didn't disappoint me and I got to tell you that you would expect some sad ending in the last book of the series but you will get a happy ending but a lot of things would happen before that and also all the books have new characters in them which make it really interesting.
Last edited by Amy Smith on Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:40 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Amy Smith
Oakshaft 79

Post by Amy Smith »

Title:Empire of Storms
Genre:Young Adult,Romance and Fantasy
This is the fifth book of this series.This book tells us about how Aelin finds more allies to help her win the war against Erwan . Her allies are pirates,assassins and so on who had owed her a lot. Aelin also has to keep those people whom she loves close to her from falling into the dark forces poised to claim her world.While Manon on the other side fights against her grandmother and learns the truth about herself that she is half crochan and half witch and then she and her thirteen who are the witches in her clan and then she also joins alliance with Aelin.Meanwhile in Adarlan Rowan saves Dorian from the other witches who were on Erwan's side.While Aedian and Lyssandra are with Aelin helping and protecting her.

This is from goodreads:
The long path to the throne has just begun for Aelin Galathynius. As the kingdoms of Erilea fracture around her, enemies must become allies if Aelin is to keep those she loves from falling to the dark forces poised to claim her world. With war looming on all horizons, the only chance for salvation lies in a desperate quest that may mark the end of everything Aelin holds dear.
Last edited by Amy Smith on Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Amy Smith
Oakshaft 79

Post by Amy Smith »

Title: Tower of Dawn
this is the Sixth book of the series.This book tells us how Chaol Westfall,Captain of the Guard to prince Dorian with his strength and unwavering loyalty to Dorian goes to Antica which is the stronghold of the southern continent's mighty empire and of the legendary healers of Torre Cesme with Nesryn.After Aelin shattered the Glass Castle in Adarlan Chaol's men were slaughtered and since the king of Adarlan,Dorian's father spared Chaol for a killing blow but his left body is broken. Now it is the only chance for Chaol's recovery and he and Nesryn also have to convince the Khagan to join forces with them as a war is looming on them.As Dorian and Aelin's survival could depend on them.But what they discover there will change them both - and be more vital to saving Erilea than they could have imagined.

This is from goodreads:
Chaol Westfall has always defined himself by his unwavering loyalty, his strength, and his position as the Captain of the Guard. But all of that has changed since Aelin shattered the glass castle, since Chaol's men were slaughtered, since the King of Adarlan spared him from a killing blow, but left his body broken.Now he and Nesryn sail for Antica - the stronghold of the southern continent's mighty empire and of the legendary healers of the Torre Cesme. It's Chaol's one shot at recovery, and with war looming back home, Dorian and Aelin's survival could depend on Chaol and Nesryn convincing Antica's rulers to ally with them.But what they discover there will change them both - and be more vital to saving Erilea than they could have imagined.
Last edited by Amy Smith on Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
Amy Smith
Oakshaft 79

Post by Amy Smith »

Title:Kingdom of Ash
Aelin Galathynius's journey from slave to assassin to queen reaches its heart-rending finale as war erupts across her world .She has risked everything to save her people - but at a tremendous cost. Locked in an iron coffin by the Queen of the Fae, Aelin must draw upon her fiery will to endure the months of torture inflicted upon her. The knowledge that yielding to Maeve will doom those she loves keeps her from breaking, but her resolve is unravelling with each passing day.With Aelin imprisoned, Aedion and Lysandra are the last line of defence keeping Terrasen from utter destruction. But even the many allies they've gathered to battle Erawan's hordes might not be enough to save the kingdom. Scattered throughout the continent and racing against time, Chaol, Manon, and Dorian must forge their own paths to meet their destinies. And across the sea Rowan hunts to find his captured wife and queen - before she is lost to him.
Some bonds will deepen and others be severed forever, but as the threads of fate weave together at last, all must fight if they are to find salvation - and a better world
This is the final book of the throne of glass series.
Good points/Bad points from the whole series:
I have got to tell you that it's been a long time after I read such a good series after hunger games, harry Potter, mortal Instruments, infernal devices and drat artifices. I would highly recommend this series. This book kind of became a part of me I know it sounds weird but there were times when I cried ,laughed, got curious while reading this book.This book was so well written and it also had so many emotions. As this was the final book I rather got so curious as to what would happen next and I kept reading it till I finished the book.
I have got no bad points to tell about this series.
Carrie Warts
No broom

Post by Carrie Warts »

Title of the book: A Court of Thorns and Roses (1)
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Series: 5 books
Genres: Fantasy
Short summary of the story: The story is based in a world divided into two, a human world and a fantastic one. It revolves around a human girl name Fayre that kills a beast that turns out was a being from the fantastic world. In order to get revenge a "superior being" comes to Feyres' house and takes her as a prisoner in order for her to pay for what she did. The story goes back and forth with her trying to scape but then falling in love with her captor.
I know it might not sound so cool because of how I explain it but trust me, if you like romantic fantasy with thriller moments and fantastic places that make you imagination run wild, you are going to love it.
Thank you Ivey for my lovely first Siggy <3

Return to “The Bookshelf”