The Shadowhunter Universe - created by Cassandra Clare

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

The Shadowhunter Universe - created by Cassandra Clare

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

Cassandra Clare has created a whole universe of different kinds of creatures and peoples.

This is part of a write-up which I just Googled (so no, this is NOT my post for the books I've read -- this is an intro post for some of the books about which I'm going to be writing):
In 2007, the first book in the Mortal Instruments series, City of Bones, introduced the world to Shadowhunters. The Mortal Instruments concluded in 2014, and includes City of Ashes, City of Glass, City of Fallen Angels, City of Lost Souls, and City of Heavenly Fire. She also created a prequel series, inspired by A Tale of Two Cities and set in Victorian London. This series, The Infernal Devices, follows bookworm Tessa Gray as she discovers the London Institute in Clockwork Angel, Clockwork Prince, and Clockwork Princess.

Following the success of the novel, The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones was made into a film in 2013, it’s been ordered to series by ABC Family. And the sequel series to The Mortal Instruments, The Dark Artifices, debuts March 8, 2016 with Lady Midnight, as the Shadowhunters take on Los Angeles.

Other books in the Shadowhunters series include The Bane Chronicles, Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy, and The Shadowhunter’s Codex.

I've read some of these books and intend to write up reviews for them -- because of wanting to be writing reviews and also as part of the Winter Reading Challenge 2016/17.
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Re: The Shadowhunter Universe - created by Cassandra Clare

Title of the book: City of Glass
Author: Cassandra Clare
Genres: Young Adult / Fantasy

City of Glass is the third book of The Mortal Instruments, following City of Bones and City of Ashes. I had read the first two books (and may later on write reviews of them, but this is for the Reading Challenge and so I'm writing of a book read recently first...) and liked them enough to wish to see how it turns out. I was thinking that this third book would end out that story cycle. I was wrong. Three more books follow -- City of Fallen Angels, City of Lost Souls and City of Heavenly Fire.

However, City of Glass .. is AWESOME. Unresolved issues, things pointed at in the first two books, all kinds of things fall into place which had only been hinted at previously. I cannot write much of anything of what happens in the stories, spoilers, but what I can say is that the story of Clary, Jace, Simon, Isabelle, Alec, Magnus, Luke, Jocelyn and others continues on -- with unexpected, unprecedented and sad and joyous and fun ... happenings.
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Title: The Shadowhunter's Codex
Authors: Cassandra Clare and Joshua Lewis
Genres: Fantasy / Young Adult

This book reminds me of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. Basically you have the world of the Shadowhunters which has angels and werewolves and vampires and elves (and you name it and if it isn't there it might show up later?) and this book is sort of the one and only manual that the Shadowhunter's have as a textbook for things that go bump in the night (and day).

According to a write-up that just happens to be found if you Google the name of it
Since the thirteenth century, the Shadowhunter’s Codex has been the one and only manual for Shadowhunters looking to brush up on their demon languages, learn proper stele use, and discover just what exactly a pyxis is. Featured in both The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices, this guide is a necessity for any young Nephilim on their journey to becoming a Shadowhunter. Beautifully illustrated, the Codex contains images of the famous Shadowhunter homeland of Idris, as well as depictions of demons and other Downworlders.
But. BUT! This book has additional words -- written in by Clary and Jace and Simon -- which is so reminiscent of what happened with Harry Potter's FBAWTFT. Their comments are often funny, sad, to the point, scurilous, hilarious -- and tremendous fun to read.

I would recommend having read at least the first three books of The Mortal Instruments and the first book of The Infernal Devices so you would have a greater appreciation of what the book (and Clary and Jace and Simon) talks about.
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Yes, I'm gulping down these books. This next one is

Title of the book: The Bane Chronicles
Author: co-written by Cassandra Clare, Sarah Rees Brennan and Maureen Johnson

This is a collection of stories written about Magnus Bane and his adventures. I *like* Magnus Bane. He's a warlock of great power and has come to terms (sort of) with his abilities and life span and the people around him.

Ranging in time from centuries ago to current times, the stories talk about his friendship with different people, largely focusing on his friendships with other warlocks and Shadowhunters and vampires and ... well everyone.

It helps to have read The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices series, if only to become acquainted with some of the characters in the short stories, but it can be read before having read those books. Just be aware that you'll encounter spoilers.
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Title of the book: Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy
Author: co-written by Cassandra Clare, Sarah Rees Brennan, Maureen Johnson and Robin Wasserman

This is the story of Simon; it is many stories of Simon intermingled with stories of others in the books -- with some stories of back history and variations on a theme from different places of the Shadowhunter world. Highly recommended to read the complete Mortal Instruments series before reading this because of many spoilers.

Simon has been a mundane, a rat, a vampire, a this a that and gone to hell, been a hero, lost his memory, had it partially restored, become a mundane again. Life has been interesting for him. Shadowhunter Academy talks about his wanting to regain his memory but in the meantime he wants to become a Shadowhunter. That means he'll have to drink from the Mortal Cup, and either live and be a Shadowhunter, or die.

This is the book that started me on this whole 'Mortal Instruments' kick. I saw the cover picture on a book in the store and went to it and copied the name of the author and went to my library to see what they had. Started out with City of Bones - by Cassandra Clare - which I've not written up yet ... and continued on. Later, after reading the first two of The Mortal Instruments, City of Bones and City of Ashes, I went back to the store and bought the book.
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Title of the book: City of Bones

This is the first of the Mortal Instruments books. I finished the Shadowhunter Academy book (see above) and wanted to go back to the beginning. This is a re-read for me.

As the first book of many -- as the first book written about an entire 'new' universe -- City of Bones can be read as a stand-alone book but it is better to read it knowing it is the start of a series, because it ends with several issues unresolved. As such, though, it does a good job of introducing the reader to many of the peoples who may (or may not -- spoilers) continue on into the next books -- Clary, Jace, Izzy, Simon, Bane, Alec, Jocelyn, Luke and many more. We learn of all kinds of species -- mundanes, Shadowhunters, Downworlders (vampires, werewolves, faeries, warlocks and others) and demons - and more.

So - meet Clary Fray and join with her as she becomes aware of a whole different world than the one she thought was real and be pulled into an adventure and quest for something called the Mortal Cup...

Note for re-read: I think I enjoyed the re-read a lot more than I enjoyed the first time reading of it, and I really enjoyed that first reading! Now I am more familiar with the world and the characters and also aware of 'situations'.
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Title of the book: City of Heavenly Fire

I sort of skipped and skimmed and flipped through many of the pages in the books City of Fallen Angels and City of Lost Souls (books 4 and 5 of the Mortal Instruments series). It seemed to me that the stories were dwelling on angst and made-up situations and while yeah, a little angst flavours it, to be thrown into that again and again and again got real old. However, I do own the books now so maybe will (can't say re-read because I didn't read them through, page by page, the first time) read them and, if nothing else, accept them for what they are, part of the story cycle.

But I persevered in the reading of the books! Much to my delight and gratitude, City of Heavenly Fire (book 6 of 6 of The Mortal Instruments), returns to the flavour and wonderful story telling of book 3, City of Glass. There was a lot of "Oh, Simon." "Oh, Magnus." "Oh, Clary." (etc etc) as each and every character was thrown into Ms. Clare's cauldron of what-evil-thing-can-I-do-to-my-people.

Virtually all loose ends were tied up and situations resolved. I might not have liked some of the resolutions she came up with but at least they were, mostly, resolved. Yes, there is a blatant thing hanging about which I now find has become the start of another set of Shadowhunter Universe books, but that's okay.

I can't really say much more about this book because of the potential spoilers for anyone just starting them. However, I can say -- persevere through books 4 and 5. Book 6 makes up for them!
Amy Smith
Oakshaft 79

Book Review:Infernal Devices

Post by Amy Smith »

Title: Clockwork Angel(Book 1)
Arthur:Cassandra Clare
Series: The infernal devices
Genre:Paranormal,Fantasy,Young Adult,Romance,Historical and Fiction
Short summary of the story:
This story tells about a young girl named Tessa who goes in search of her brother in London where she descends in the dark supernatural world. And then she has to align with the Shadow hunters . She gets attracted to Jem and Will who are also shadow hunters and then they find themselves in a war with the vampires, demons, warlocks as well as humans who are all part of a club called as the Pandemonium. Equipped with and an unstoppable army of clockwork creatures., the club wants to rule British. And only Tessa and her allies can stop them.

Good points/Bad points:
This is a very good series. One of the best I have ever read and even though this is my second time reading it I am not bored. I would Recommend you to read it.
There aren't really any bad points.

Return to “The Bookshelf”