Book Bout - Visiting Real-World Places

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Book Bout - Visiting Real-World Places

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

In all of the reading you've done, have you read about a real-world place and then visited it? Or have you gone to a place and then afterwards, read a book where that place was featured and you were 'I've been there!" If so, was the place the same as in the book or was it vastly different?
and/or
Is there any real-world place that's connected to a particular book that you'd like to visit? What is it?

Post your answer below, by August 23rd, to earn 5 team points and 10 beans. Remember to have at least 80 words in your write-up.
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Prof. Maxim Trevelyan
Nimbus 1000

Re: Book Bout - Visiting Real-World Places

Post by Prof. Maxim Trevelyan »

Yes, I specifically went there after I read many books many times. I am a big fan of who-dun-it mysteries, Sherlock Holmes especially. So, when I visited London, I insisted on going to Baker Street and see the famous 221B.

Sadly, I did not have the time to visit the museum inside, but just seeing the street and Sherlock Holmes things around it made me all excited. I took a few snapshots and they are still one of my favorites from that trip. I hope to go back there again and actually go to the museum. :)
...also a platonic soulmate and a hot mess of a human being.
Carrie Warts
No broom

Post by Carrie Warts »

My best friend and I visited where HP was inspired, the streets were JK Rowling allowed her imagination to fly and where the films took place - we even took a HP Walking Tour that took us to many places.
But since the UK has so many landscapes it was also the inspiration place for many of the great books and novels of all times, such as Dracula in the north east England there are gothic ruins that helped in the making of the spooky castle where Dracula lived.
Last but not least, a part of a battle from the famous Chronicles of Narnia was inspired by the Giant's Causeway is Belfast which I also had the pleasure to visit with my best friend and could feel why CS Lewis was so moved by this scenery (where by the way was also an inspiration for one of the sets for Game of Thrones).
Thank you Ivey for my lovely first Siggy <3
Louis Walles
Moontrimmer

Post by Louis Walles »

I always wanted to go to the USA and travel in a car all over the country. Therefore, the book by Neil Gaiman called American Gods has been truly fascinating for me. In the book, Moon and Wednesday travel around the USA to meet all ancient gods and gather them together for the war between them and the new gods.

Although, there was a book which was set in the place I have been. I was on vacation in Poland, and I bought a book by a local writer. It was a weird book about detectives trying to solve a murder case. The history was taking place in the city where I was staying so it was quite fascinating to see places and streets which were described in the book.
"He who fights too long against the dragons becomes a dragon himself; and if you gaze too long into the abyss, the abyss will gaze into you" ~ Nietzsche
Emerald Wolvenhowl
Oakshaft 79

Post by Emerald Wolvenhowl »

I once read Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey. Part of this novel is set in Bath, England. and so I visited it several times. I wanted to visit the place not just because it is in the book but also becasue, as many fans will know, Jane Austen is also famous for mentioning how much she disliked Bath. I was lucky that I didnt just get to see the amazing Bath stone houses and Roman architecture that she would have seen but I also visited the Jane Austen Museum. It is a town house and although she not did not live in this particular house, she did live very nearby and inside the museum house is a layout that she would have been famiiar with. A part of me loved Bath but I did not like it being so croweded and so in a way I could see why Jane Austen disliked it.

It would be amazing to have a long literary trail holiday and I would just have to fit Lyme Regis becaise Jane Austen stayed there and the seaside is very relaxing. I would love to walk along the Cobb and look for Dinosaur fossils too. Also it would be awesome to visist the Caparthian Mountains and castle that feature in Dracula. It would be really amazing to reinact one of the scenes and travel up the mountains during the night in a horse and carriage and see the blue flame along the path before arriving at the castle and haveing a look inside.

Return to “Book Club”