Book Bout - Author Atlas

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Prof. Sky Alton
Twigger 90

Book Bout - Author Atlas

Post by Prof. Sky Alton »

It’s all very well thinking about the locations in books but how about the locations those books actually come from? We’d love to see where the authors you’re reading live and write.

For this task, we’re asking you to make an author Atlas of the author’s you’ve read or talked about for this challenge. This could be a world map with your authors various countries highlighted or (if your authors come from the same continent or country) a map of a smaller geographic area. If you’d like to do this in a more artistic or abstract way, feel free. You should put genuine effort in for the full 5 team points – this should be more than a few blobs on a premade map - you could see if you are able to personalise the icons or font you use for each author, for instance.

Alternatively, tell us about where some of your authors come from. Does where they live play a role in what they write? Please do this in 80 words or more to earn the full 5 team points.

If you make a graphic, please upload it to an image hosting website and make sure that it’s no more than 600 x 600 pixels (remember to include a short description of your image under the graphic).

Note: Please respect the privacy of authors. Any information you use should come from them or their publisher and be a matter of public record.
"Growing up doesn't have to mean I lose the cape, the faith, the dream. I'm so done with that... I'm taking it back."
(Av/sig by S. Elf)
Carrie Warts
No broom

Re: Book Bout - Author Atlas

Post by Carrie Warts »

I made a divided image between the UK and the Eastern part of the USA showing where my 3 authors are from: Stephen King (Portland, Maine), Sarah J. Maas (Manhattan, New York) and Roald Dahl (from LLandaff, Cardiff) ^_^
Thank you Ivey for my lovely first Siggy <3
Louis Walles
Moontrimmer

Post by Louis Walles »

My favourite authors are Neil Gaiman and Jo Nesbo. Neil Gaiman was born in England, UK but he decided to move to the states to continue his job as a writer. As I could not find a lot information as the where does Jo Nesbo live, I decided to use his hometown as a 'current location'.
"He who fights too long against the dragons becomes a dragon himself; and if you gaze too long into the abyss, the abyss will gaze into you" ~ Nietzsche
February Fortescue
Cleansweep One

Post by February Fortescue »

The countries aren't quite drawn to scale....

Each of these novels are very descriptive of their settings, especially of the outdoors. All 3 are very different.

Elizabeth George Speare was born in Massachusetts in the United States and moved to Connecticut in1936 when she married Alden Speare. She lived her entire life in New England and centered her novels around this area.

Emily Bronte was from Thornton (near current day Bradford), Yorkshire, England. Her only novel, Wuthering Heights, is set on the Yorkshire moors and two manor houses.

Wilkie Collins, although he traveled to France and Italy, was a born and bred Londoner. His novel The Woman in White, is set in London, the English countryside, and France. An aside: he was a good friend of Charles Dickens
superb sig by Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
No matter where you go, there you are.
Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis
Nimbus 1500

Post by Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis »

Joan Moriarity and Jonathan Kay, the co-authors of Your Move: What Board Games Teach Us About Life, are both from Toronto, Canada. They are represented by the red and yellow meeples.

Eric Nierstedt is based in central New Jersey. I chose a pantheon building to represent him because I read Silent Pantheon.

Rick Riordan says he owes a lot to the libraries in Texas for promoting his books from the beginning. He is originally from San Antonio, represented by the trident because the Percy Jackson series is the first of his books that I read. Riordan currently resides in Boston, where I placed the obelisk, linked to The Kane Chronicles, that also looks like a pencil.
Emerald Wolvenhowl
Oakshaft 79

Post by Emerald Wolvenhowl »

Roger Lancelyn Green was from Cheshire. During his childhood he spent much of his time away from school due to illness. While at home he would spend time reading old medieval tales, legends and fairy tales. Through these he developed an interest in Robin Hood. He went onto write The Adventures of Robin Hood in which he re-tells the tales of old.
B. 1918 D. 1987

Noel Coward was born in Teddington, South West London. He was famous for his iconic voice, his wit, for being an entertainer, singer, piano player composer and playwright. Many of his plays including Private Lives and Blithe Spirit have been performed at the Westend and Broadway.
B. 1899 D. 1973

H.E Bates ( Herbert Ernest Bates) was born in Rushden, Northamptonshire. When he left Grammar school he was a reporter and started novel writing while holding down a job. His first novel was published when he was just twenty years old. He went on to write Fair Stood the Winds for France and became even more well known for his stories, The Darling Buds of May.
B.1905 D.1974
Amy Smith
Oakshaft 79

Post by Amy Smith »

My favourite authors are Sarah. J. Maas she wrote the throne of glass series as well as the a court of thorns and roses series and then Cassandra Clare the books which is written by her and which I like would be the Mortal instruments,the infernal devices and the dark artifices and then I also like Suzanne Collins and the series which she wrote is the Hunger games.I really like the books which is written by these three authors.

Return to “Book Club”