Book Bout - A New Place to Read

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Prof. Sky Alton
Twigger 90

Book Bout - A New Place to Read

Post by Prof. Sky Alton »

A change of scene can really help you focus or even to relax more. Reading in a spot you wouldn’t usually read in could be a great way to unwind or to help propel you through a lull in the plot.

To earn 5 team points, Find a place in your house or even outside it that’s an unusual reading spot for you. Take a photo of it (though make sure there are no identifying details about you or where you live) or describe it to us in 80 words. If you tried reading there, you could also let us know how you got on.

If you take a photo, please upload it to an image hosting website and make sure that it’s no more than 600 x 600 pixels (remember to include a short description of your image).
"Growing up doesn't have to mean I lose the cape, the faith, the dream. I'm so done with that... I'm taking it back."
(Av/sig by S. Elf)
Prof. Maxim Trevelyan
Nimbus 1000

Re: Book Bout - A New Place to Read

Post by Prof. Maxim Trevelyan »

There is a nook by the right side of our house that is sort of a loop. I believe that it used to house either flowers or some other sort of plant, but now it is bare since I moved in. The bottom of the loop is perfect for my body to curl into and read, if I had the book placed on my knees/legs. Pad the concrete bottom with some pillows or a throw, take a cup of your preferred beverage and it is quite a cosy place, especially since it is almost always in a slight shade. Unfortunate part of it and the reason why I never used it after my second time) is that it is quite close to my neighbors and they are always puttering around, their kids being kids and just causing general noise, thus disrupting my reading.
...also a platonic soulmate and a hot mess of a human being.
Carrie Warts
No broom

Post by Carrie Warts »

This place is my favorite cuz it has natural light during the day and is so comfy and I even have a little heater nearby for this cold winter times. I also have a little lamp next to it in case I spend more hours reading and a radio for when I use ambient sounds to complement my reading :)
Thank you Ivey for my lovely first Siggy <3
Prof. Kendra Givens
Silver Arrow

Post by Prof. Kendra Givens »

In the smallest bedroom in our house, which we use as our office, there is a green papasan chair. It's round and folds up, kind of like a chair you might use in a college dorm room. It might have actually been in one of our dorms rooms, come to think of it. It doesn't match anything else in the room - the room is painted purple and the desk chair is black and white. Anyway, you would usually find the dog sleeping on it, but sometimes, if I need a space to get away from everything and just curl up and read, I enjoy sitting in there. It's also nice when my other half is sitting at the desk working on homework for graduate school and we want to keep each other company, so I sit and read on that chair. Sitting in silence together can be fun too!
Amy Smith
Oakshaft 79

Post by Amy Smith »

The place in my house where I like to read would definitely be the bay window in my room.I really don't know why I like to sit there and read ,but I find it relaxing while I sit there. the bay window is just opposite to my bed.The other place were I like to read would be my garden.I find it refreshing and also really nice and I like to listen to the noise of the birds while reading and also my sister is not there to disturb me as she has tutions.She likes to annoy me lot.Anyway I like these two places in my house where I can read in peace.
Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis
Nimbus 1500

Post by Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis »

This is my balcony, where I have read on occasion, but not quite enough to warrant investing in weather-proof furniture. (I end up doing more reading during down time at work than at home... The perks of working weekends!) A neighbor has set up a squirrel-feeding area under a nearby tree, so I tend to get distracted and watch squirrels running around.
Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
Comet 140

Post by Prof. Sindor Aloyarc »

We just recently moved into the home I live in currently with my partner, so while a lot of places here could easily be brand new experiences, I chose to go to go with our deck! It's not a particularly big wooden square area leading from the backdoor to a storage shed and down to a little yard area, but the woman who owned this place before we got here has a bunch of different kinds of beautiful flowers growing along the fence. It's a great atmosphere for reading, and I enjoy being able to put my feet on the grass just off the deck! Done some stretching/yoga out here, not sure what took me so long to grab some comfy pillows/blankets and do this!
Deputy Headmaster | Deputy Head of Ravenclaw
"⁠—Starry, starry night. Paint your palette blue & grey."
Emerald Wolvenhowl
Oakshaft 79

Post by Emerald Wolvenhowl »

As I love nature I like the idea of sitting in the garden with a book. There is something so relaxing and liberating about it when I can feel the grass tickle me under my bare feet, the warmth of the sun caressing my face and the soft scent of lavender gently wafting by as I read. Saying that, sadly I don't read in the garden anymore because there is just too much distraction; a neighbour has 7 cats and they love to come into the garden. Since I adore cats I ended up spending more time watching them than reading. Also my other neighbours are big football fanatics and I kept getting disturbed by numourous footballs landing nearby.

Now, I have a bean bag which I place in the corner of my bedroom. It can be quite cosy, especially during the winter months, as my reading spot is very near a radiator. Sometimes I have electronic candles near by too to create a more relaxing atmosphere.
Louis Walles
Moontrimmer

Post by Louis Walles »

This is my bed, and is one of the most comfortable beds in my house! It’s a great spot to read tones of books because this room is usually very quiet. As you can see on the photo, I am currently reading the book on the left and I am planning to read the book on the right!
"He who fights too long against the dragons becomes a dragon himself; and if you gaze too long into the abyss, the abyss will gaze into you" ~ Nietzsche
February Fortescue
Cleansweep One

Post by February Fortescue »

This is my favorite place to settle down with a good book! It comes complete with comfy cushions and a lovely view of my front yard. I'm almost always joined by my two dogs, although only one appears in the photo. And you can just see the corner of my bookshelf on the left.
superb sig by Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
No matter where you go, there you are.
Mia Fountain
Silver Arrow

Post by Mia Fountain »

Normally, I would read while lying on my bed or sitting on a chair or a couch indoors. My unusual spot to read is on the front porch. It is an uncovered wooden porch with some outdoor furniture on it. It spans the length of the front of our house and has two levels. The first level is at the bottom, and you step up onto it from the driveway. The second level allows you into the front door and has the furniture on it. It is a nice spot to read on a sunny day because it gets a lot of sunlight and you can watch what is going on in the neighbourhood.

Return to “Book Club”