Book Trivia Game

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Book Trivia Game

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:35 am

The Book Club has a new activity! It's the Book Trivia Game.

Each month we will have a different overarching theme. We'll come up with questions and/or challenges for you which have their origin in the theme.

In April we have Book Quotes. Your challenge is to discover from where these thirty quotes came, listing the names of the books, the authors AND who said them (or thought them) in the books.

Example:
1. “We’re all going to keep fighting, Harry. You know that?”
Your PM to me would have:
1. “We’re all going to keep fighting, Harry. You know that?” - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - J.K. Rowling - Neville Longbottom
(Remember though, to send in all of them (or as many as you can find)! It would be #1 and followed by the rest of the quotes in that same PM.)

Hint: All of the books used for quotes have been used in our Monthly Book Discussion (<--- click to see forum) or are approved for use in it in a future month.
Hint the second: There are fifteen books used, each book supplying two quotes.
Be aware - if there was a movie made of the book, and that line was given to someone else, we are using the book as canon for this game.

You will receive 3 beans per correct match and have until the end of the month in which to send me a HOL PM with your answers.

Good luck!

1. “Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?”
2. "Because...because...she came here with me.”
3. “One thing's for sure. We're not gonna fit in, but we're gonna stand out ..."
4. “When I was your age, television was called books.”
5. “I wish it need not have happened in my time ..."
6. "I will one day, sir. I'm getting tired of falling down.”
7. “A story can be new and yet tell about olden times. The past comes into existence with the story.”
8. “I prefer a story that has the good sense to stay on the page where it belongs."
9. “You're always in the kitchen. ... Or the library. Don't you ever do anything but cook and read?”
10. "You witless weed! You empty-headed hamster! You stupid glob of glue!”
11. "I will love you till the stars crumble, which is a less idle threat than is usual to lovers on parting. Go quickly, for I cannot bear this."
12. "Stop—I see your problem! You’re thinking that time exists on the diamonds themselves. It doesn’t. Each moment—each diamond—is like a snapshot."
13. "Here's some advice. Stay alive."
14. "It's very famous and very good. If it's too long for you, just let me know and I'll find something shorter and a bit easier."
15. "You've no right to walk into people's castles and take their guitars."
16. “I commend you on your efforts. Really I do. You have surprised me, and that does not happen very often."
17. "You know the old saying... Keep your friends close and your enemies dead and buried in the basement.”
18. "You are trying to kidnap what I have rightfully stolen, and I think it quite ungentlemanly."
19. "May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out."
20. "Why d'you think I can teach you better than a man who cut his eyeteeth on a sword?"
21. “The written word is a powerful thing, you have to be careful with it."
22. "I make cherries jubillee and I volunteer for dragons, and I conjugate Latin verbs-- or at least I would if anyone would let me. So there!”
23. “I've thought a lot about those veils. I wonder if, every once in a while, someone is born without one. Someone who sees the big stuff all the time. Like maybe you”
24. “The two of you make rather a resourceful pair, you know... I know intelligence and courage when I see it... If you ever find yourselves tired of Sinclair's, come and find me. I think there could be quite a different sort of career out there for a couple of young ladies like you."
25. "I’ve been lucky all along but didn’t see it.”
26. "And Sergeant, if you or Private Rahise so much as talk in your sleep about what you may have heard here, then you'll be on gravedigging fatigues for the rest of your lives!”
27. “This explains the running, at least, but how on earth did it happen? Am I some kind of freak? No wonder my parents didn't want me on a cross-country team; I'd end up on Ripley's Believe It or Not.”
28. "I make that four horses and ten men just to get rid of one old woman. What did you do to the King?"
29. “He will apologize, or I'll give him a lesson in swordplay he will not like at all.”
30. "The best way of doing that is to get started and stop frittering the time away with useless jibber-jabber."

Send me your answers by 11:59pm, April 30th, HOL time, to receive your Beans! Send them in a HOL PM (<- click this link) titled Book Quote Game.

If you have any difficulties finding these, please send me a HOL PM (<- click this link) and we can do some detective work together.
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... image by Susan Seddon Boulet
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Re: Book Trivia Game

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:44 pm

People who have sent something in:

Adaleine Shuster - partial
Draco Riddle - partial
Iverian Gnash - sent in whole thing - all correct!
Sarah Hucklebee - partial
Maxim Trevelyan - sent in whole thing - all correct!

Remember: If you send in a partial listing, that's fine. :) You are welcome to send me another HOL PM (from this forum, remember, not a HOL message from the front pages) with the complete list, by the end of the month.
Last edited by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black on Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:00 am

You have until the end of April to send me your answers (or the rest of the answers if you sent in a partial list) and earn some Beans!

Remember that partial answers will still earn Beans. You don't need to find them all to participate.

A Google search will find all of the information for you -- I know because I checked. Some might be more obscure than others, but it is all researchable! :ph34r:
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Wed May 01, 2019 12:06 am

April Book Trivia Game - Book Quotes

ANSWERS ---

1. “Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?” - Sabriel - Garth Nix - Sabriel
2. "Because...because...she came here with me.”- The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins - Peeta
3. “One thing's for sure. We're not gonna fit in, but we're gonna stand out"- Fish in a Tree - Linda Mullaly Hunt - Keisha
4. “When I was your age, television was called books.” - The Princess Bride - William Goldman - Grandpa
5. “I wish it need not have happened in my time ..."- The Fellowship of the Ring - J.R.R. Tolkien - Frodo
6. "I will one day, sir. I'm getting tired of falling down.” - Alanna: The First Adventure by Tamora Pierce - Alanna
7. “A story can be new and yet tell about olden times. The past comes into existence with the story.” - The Neverending Story - Michael Ende - Graograman
8. “I prefer a story that has the good sense to stay on the page where it belongs." - Inkheart - Cornelia Funke - Elinor
9. “You're always in the kitchen. ... Or the library. Don't you ever do anything but cook and read?”- Dealing with Dragons - Patricia C. Wrede - Alianora
10. "You witless weed! You empty-headed hamster! You stupid glob of glue!” - Matilda - Roald Dahl - the Trunchbull
11. "I will love you till the stars crumble, which is a less idle threat than is usual to lovers on parting. Go quickly, for I cannot bear this."- The Hero and the Crown - Robin McKinley - Luthe
12. "Stop—I see your problem! You’re thinking that time exists on the diamonds themselves. It doesn’t. Each moment—each diamond—is like a snapshot." - When You Reach Me - Rebecca Stead - Marcus
13. "Here's some advice. Stay alive." - The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins - Haymitch
14. "It's very famous and very good. If it's too long for you, just let me know and I'll find something shorter and a bit easier." - Matilda - Roald Dahl - Mrs. Phelps
15. "You've no right to walk into people's castles and take their guitars." - Howl's Moving Castle - Diana Wynne Jones - Sophie
16. “I commend you on your efforts. Really I do. You have surprised me, and that does not happen very often." - The Mystery of the Clockwork Sparrow - Katherine Woodfine - The Baron
17. "You know the old saying... Keep your friends close and your enemies dead and buried in the basement.” - The Paladin Prophecy - Mark Frost - Nick
18."You are trying to kidnap what I have rightfully stolen, and I think it quite ungentlemanly." - The Princess Bride - William Goldman - the Sicilian
19."May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out." - The Fellowship of the Ring - J.R.R. Tolkien - Galadriel
20. "Why d'you think I can teach you better than a man who cut his eyeteeth on a sword?" - Alanna: The First Adventure - Tamora Pierce - George
21. “The written word is a powerful thing, you have to be careful with it." - Inkheart - Cornelia Funke - Silvertongue
22. "I make cherries jubillee and I volunteer for dragons, and I conjugate Latin verbs-- or at least I would if anyone would let me. So there!”- Dealing with Dragons - Patricia C. Wrede - Cimorene
23. “I've thought a lot about those veils. I wonder if, every once in a while, someone is born without one. Someone who sees the big stuff all the time. Like maybe you”- When You Reach Me - Rebecca Stead - Miranda
24. “The two of you make rather a resourceful pair, you know... I know intelligence and courage when I see it... If you ever find yourselves tired of Sinclair's, come and find me. I think there could be quite a different sort of career out there for a couple of young ladies like you." - The Mystery of the Clockwork Sparrow - Katherine Woodfine - Detective McDermott
25. "I’ve been lucky all along but didn’t see it.” - Fish in a Tree - Linda Mullaly Hunt - Ally
26. "And Sergeant, if you or Private Rahise so much as talk in your sleep about what you may have heard here, then you'll be on gravedigging fatigues for the rest of your lives!” - Sabriel - Garth Nix - Horyse
27. “This explains the running, at least, but how on earth did it happen? Am I some kind of freak? No wonder my parents didn't want me on a cross-country team; I'd end up on Ripley's Believe It or Not.”- The Paladin Prophecy - Mark Frost - Will West
28. "I make that four horses and ten men just to get rid of one old woman. What did you do to the King?" - Howl's Moving Castle - Diana Wynne Jones - Howl
29. “He will apologize, or I'll give him a lesson in swordplay he will not like at all.”- The Hero and the Crown - Robin McKinley - Tor
30. "The best way of doing that is to get started and stop frittering the time away with useless jibber-jabber." - The Neverending Story - Michael Ende - Urgl

Beans have been sent to the participants - Adaleine Shuster, Draco Riddle, Iverian Gnash, Sarah Hucklebee and Maxim Trevelyan. :)

Well done to Iverian Gnash who was the only person to send in, on first submission, all correct answers!

Thank you for participating in our April Book Trivia Game - Book Quotes.

Stay tuned for what comes up for May. What could it be? :o
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Wed May 01, 2019 12:51 am

In May we focus our Book Trivia Game on Famous Libraries of the World.

Following are a list of places, around the world, which contains a library which is famous for one reason or another. After the list of places in the world is a list of descriptives for those libraries.

For 2 beans each, match up the location with the descriptive. For an extra bean, give the name of the library (or how it is known)! :) (Yes, I'm aware that there are a couple of 'give-aways' in there!)

Locations

1. Hereford, England

2. Fez, Morocco

3. Alexandria, Egypt

4. Minsk, Belarus

5. Stykkishólmur, Iceland

6. Quebec, Canada / Vermont, USA

7. Gobi desert, Mongolia

8. Nice, France

9. Stockholm, Sweden

10. Dublin, Ireland

11. Perugia, Italy

12. Boston, Massachusetts, USA

13. Hordaland, Sogn og Fjordane and Møre og Romsdal, Norway

14. Mexico City, Mexico

15. Albena, Bulgaria

16. Oxford, England

17. Selçuk, Turkey.

18. Washington D.C., USA

19. Prague, Czech Republic

20. Beijing, People's Republic of China

Descriptives

A. only building in the world shaped like a rhombicuboctahedron
B. the administration of this public library is hidden inside a giant surrealist sculpture of a blockhead
C. this library is mainly used as a research library and is a copyright library, which means it has a right to every book published in the United Kingdom
D. this library ship visits small places in across three counties -- carries a total of 6,000 books. At any given time, some 20,000 of the floating library's books are lent out
E. where this library [can] be found
graphic: picture shows an interior view -- a long, beautiful, room in shades of browns and gold, with a vaulted ceiling, appearing to contain many many books along both walls - in the middle of the room, every few feet, are globes of the planet
F. now the largest library in Asia, with holdings of over 35 million items; its annual report puts their total visitors (across multiple locations) at 5.6 million (5,639,900, to be precise) in 2016
G. has the largest single-chamber library in the world
H. largest surviving chained library in the world
I. contains numerous gigantic columns filled from floor to ceiling with melted ice from glaciers all around the country
J. started more than 20 years ago, the Children's Mobile Library brings books to kids in provinces without access to libraries -- the man who started it first used camels, then horses, and now uses a van to provide this service
K. considered the third richest library of ancient times, this library is world famous for its beautiful structures and was a monumental tomb of the governor of the Province of Asia, Gaius Julius Celsus Polemaeanus
L. the 2nd largest library in North America, it opened in 1848
M. it is the largest library in the world, with three buildings, and has the largest number of books
N. oldest library in the world, resides in the oldest operating university in the world
O. The Haskell Free Library, which opened in 1905 and includes an opera house
P. largest and most significant great library of the ancient world
Q. the library in this city opened in 1928; was the first (of that city) to have an open shelf design
R. the 3-story disc [building] was designed to exude an appearance of an alien flying saucer
S. labelled a 'megalibrary' by the press, it's over 400,000 square meters in size and has more than 470,000 books
T. this library was built on the beach of the Black Sea; it contains over 2,500 books from ten different languages

Send me your answers by 11:59pm, May 31st, HOL time, to receive your Beans! Send them in a HOL PM titled Book Trivia Game - Libraries.

Give me your answers like this:
1 - B - Hogwarts Library
(that is not necessarily a correct answer)

Please send the complete answer at one time, not a partial list and saying you'll send more later. If you have any difficulties finding these, send me a HOL PM and I can help set you on a straight path again.
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Fri May 03, 2019 3:40 pm

Adaleine Shuster has sent in a correct list!

Who is next?

Elena Galatas is next!

Followed by ....
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Tue May 21, 2019 6:54 pm

*bump*

You have until the end of May to send me your list of libraries!

If you do not find all of them, remember you can send in a partial list and you will still earn Beans. You don't need to find them all to participate.

Do the ones easy to find, first. This will narrow down the options for the others.

I look forward to getting your list! ^_^
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Sun May 26, 2019 9:29 pm

I just saw this and thought 'wow' so am sharing it here, because with the trivia this month we celebrate famous libraries all around the world!

Image shows a city block, with the usual street and cars and sidewalk and grassway. The walls of the building (2 or 3 stories high) featured in centre of picture are painted with the spines of books. Catch 22, Children's Stories, Silent Spring, O Pioneers! and many others (total of more than 17 books maybe?) are shown, in accurately painted (for the ones I checked) spines. It looks JUST like a book shelf! Awesome. Underneath picture are words: "One of the coolest looking libraries ever - The Kansas City Public Library

ps - you still have time to send in your answers (and partial answers are fine if you don't get them all)!
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:29 am

Beans have been sent to Elena and Adaleine!

Here are the answers (and some more information about these lovely libraries):

1-H- Hereford Cathedral
The chained library at Hereford Cathedral is the largest surviving chained library in the world. It's the only library of its type in which all the books are still chained to the shelves and essentially it's the latest style of scholarly library in the early 17th century.
2-N- Al-Qarawiyyin Library
Known as the oldest library in the world, it resides in what is also the oldest operating university in the world. Located in Fez, Morocco, this library keeps around four thousand manuscripts and had recently been opened to the public in 2016.
3-P- The Library of Alexandria / Bibliotheaca Alexandrina
The Library of Alexandria, in Egypt, was the largest and most significant great library of the ancient world. It flourished under the patronage of the Ptolemaic dynasty and functioned as a major center of scholarship from its construction in the 3rd century BC until the Roman conquest of Egypt in 30 BC.
4-A- National Library of Belarus
As of 4.27.2019, the 22-story National Library of Belarus, is the only building in the world shaped like a rhombicuboctahedron.
5-I- Library of Water
Visit the Library of Water in Stykkisholmur in Iceland. Walk over a squishy, foam floor (with shoes off) and browse through numerous gigantic columns filled from floor to ceiling with melted ice from glaciers all around the country.
6-O- the Haskell Free Library
The Haskell Free Library, which opened in 1905 and includes an opera house, lies on the border of the United States and Canada. The entrance from Derby Line, Vermont, is on Caswell Avenue; the entrance from Stanstead, Quebec, is on Church Street. A black line demarcating the border between the two countries cuts diagonally across the reading room floor, which contains a mix of French and English books.
7-J- the Children's Mobile Library of Mongolia
Author Jambyn Dashdondog has operated the Children's Mobile Library of Mongolia for more than 20 years, traveling across the vast country by camel, horse and now van. He brings books to kids in provinces without access to libraries. Since 2011, he's gotten support from the charity Go Help.
8-B- La Tete Carree Library -- / Bibliotheque Louis Nucera
The administration of the public library in Nice, France, is hidden inside a giant surrealist sculpture of a blockhead. Artist Sacha Sosno, who worked in Nice until his death in 2013, designed it to be the largest occupied sculpture in the world. The striking sculpture is 28 meters high, containing seven floor.
9-Q- Stockholm Public Library
Sweden's first library to apply an open shelf design, the Stockholm Public Library, opened in 1928. When architect Gunnar Asplund and librarian Fredrik Hjelmqvist decided that the people who'll patronize the library could get their own books, librarians all over the globe rejoiced!
10-G- Trinity College Library
Trinity College Long Room - Dublin, Ireland - Trinity college, Ireland's oldest university, also houses the largest library in Ireland. With its more than 200,000 volumes, it's the largest single-chamber library in the world.
11-R- Biblioteca Sandro Penna
Biblioteca Sandro Penna of Perugia, Italy is infamous ... the Architect who designed it, Italo Rota, made the 3-story disc to exude an appearance of an alien flying saucer.
12-L- Boston Public Library
The Boston Public Library is the 2nd largest library in North America. It opened in 1848. It's also the very first public and free-to-all library -- and the first book house to loan books to patrons. According to a general survey, this library has a collection of 6.1 million books.
13-D- Epos
Visit Norway and find out about Epos. She is a Library ship who visits small places in across three counties in Norway. The service started in 1959 and carries a total of 6,000 books. At any given time, some 20,000 of the floating library's books are lent out.
14-S- Biblioteca Vasconcelos
If in Mexico City, Mexico, go downtown to visit their library. Labeled by the press as a "megalibrary", it's over 400,000 square meters in size and has more than 470,000 books.
15-T- [Albena] Beach Library
The Beach Library of Albena, Bulgaria was built on the beach of the Bulgarian Black Sea resort city of Albena. It contains over 2,500 books from ten different languages.
16-C- Bodleian Library
The Bodleian Library is mainly used as a research library by Oxford University. Bodleian Library is a copyright library, which means it has a right to every book published in the United Kingdom. The Bodleian Library was designed by the architect, Sir Giles Gilbert Scott. Construction was completed in 1940.
17-K- Celsus Library
The Celsus Library is world famous for its beautiful structures in Ephesus. This place was basically a monumental tomb of the governor of the Province of Asia, Gaius Julius Celsus Polemaeanus. There is a statue of Athena at its entrance as she is the Goddess of Wisdom. The library has more than 12,000 scrolls. It is considered the third richest library of ancient times.
18-M- The Library of Congress
The Library of Congress is the oldest federal institution in the United States and is famous as a research library. It is the largest library in the world, with three buildings, and has the largest number of books. The Library of Congress was established in 1800 in Washington D.C., the capital of the United States. This library is open to the public, but only high ranking government officials are allowed to use it.
19-E- The National Library of Prague
If you go to Praha (Prague) take some time to visit the Library there and this beautiful room. It's found in The National Library Of Prague, Prague, in the Czech Republic
20-F- National Library of China
The National Library of China, Beijing, China is said to have 5.6 million visitors per year. Established as the Imperial Library of Peking in 1909, the National Library of China is now the largest library in Asia, with holdings of over 35 million items. The library’s annual report puts their total visitors (across multiple locations) at 5.6 million (5,639,900, to be precise) in 2016.
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:33 am

Our Trivia Challenge for June returns us to the Harry Potter books. Match the sentence with the person who spoke it. All of the books, 1-7, are used.

Use only these names which are listed in the Character Names. Not all the names listed have a quote for them ... and some characters might have more than one quote posted.

Quotes
1. "I might not be able to save 'em a third time."
2. "I have to fly around our hoop and stop the other team from scoring."
3. "Show her your acceleration, Harry!"
4. "For heaven's sake, Ron, he's only a Quidditch player."
5. "You recognized it, I suppose, by its distinctive mother-of-pearl sheen?"
6. "You definitely think it is Potter, then, Ernie?"
7. "Ten points from Ravenclaw, Fawcett!"
8. "You would have thought, would you not, that now I am returned to the school Professor Dumbledore might have got rid of the horse?"
9. "What did the stranger you were playing cards with look like?"
10. "The air of mystery is creating more terror than actually showing himself."
11. "It was a dementor, Poppy."
12. "We can fly the car to Hogwarts!"
13. "The boy was definitely caught in the company of people I'd bet my life were Death Eaters -- but he might have been in the wrong place at the wrong time, just like the house-elf."
14. "But you're just an arrogant, bullying toerag, Potter."
15. "Three dementor attacks in a week, and all Romilda Vane does is ask me if it's true you've got a hippogriff tattooed across your chest."
16. "Is it true that you can produce a Patronus?"
17. "After all, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named did great things -- terrible, yes, but great."
18. "There is no help possible."
19. "The body of the girl who was killed was discovered in a bathroom."
20. "Well, I assumed that if the boggart faced you, it would assume the shape of Lord Voldemort."
21. "I want you to come and help me search for the intruder, Filch."

Character Names
a. Aberforth Dumbledore
b. Albus Dumbledore
c. Aragog
d. Fred Weasley
e. George Weasley
f. Ginny Weasley
g. Hannah Abbott
h. Harry Potter
i. Hermione Granger
j. Kingsley Shacklebolt
k. Lee Jordan
m. Lily Evans
n. Minerva McGonagall
o. Molly Weasley
p. Mr. Ollivander
r. Oliver Wood
s. Professor Slughorn
t. Professor Trelawney
u. Remus Lupin
v. Ron Weasley
w. Severus Snape
x. Sirius Black
y. Susan Bones
z. Yaxley

Match up the quote with the person who said it and send me your list in a Forum PM titled Book Trivia June by 11:59pm, June 30th, HOL time, to receive your Beans! .
Write your answers like this:
1-a
2-b
(Those are not necessarily correct answers.)
You will earn 4 Beans for each correct answer. If you get all of them, you earn a bonus of 16 Beans, so you could get up to 100 Beans!

You are welcome to send in a partial list, if you don't find them all, for partial Beans. Just don't send in a partial list and say you'll send the rest later. If you get stuck finding these, send me a Forum PM (titled: Trivia WD-40 please) - and I can help get you unstuck.
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:41 pm

Iverian Gnash has successfully matched the who-said-what to what they said!

:D

Who is next?
Arabella Ollivander is next!
Last edited by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black on Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: adding Arabella
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:03 pm

What? What!?

Siriusly, you do recognize at least some of these! Remember, you can get partial Beans if your don't find all of them.

You have until the end of the month to send in your matches!

Return to “Book Club”