Travel Necessities

Discussions about your interests outside of HOL

Moderator: Prefects

Prof. Kendra Givens
Silver Arrow

Travel Necessities

Post by Prof. Kendra Givens »

I just got home from a weekend out of town yesterday, and I fell asleep thinking how wonderful it was to have my own pillow to sleep on again. As a rule, I always bring it with me when traveling. For whatever reason, it got left home this time, and I regretted it as I tried to make use of lame hotel pillows.

So I got to wondering...do other people feel the need to travel with their own pillows? Or is there another item that you must bring with you when travelling? I'm thinking of more personal or unique items rather than our typical deodorant, shampoo, etc, but feel free to share whatever comes to mind, as long as it's HOL appropriate!
Gail Allen
Cleansweep One

Re: Travel Necessities

Post by Gail Allen »

I NEED my pillow.
It has travelled with me no matter when I went, no matter how little room I've had. I went to New York; and packed my pillow in the suitcase which... to be honest, took up like 1/4 of my total space. I also brought it while backpacking through England, and I bring it on Role Play events, even when I still travelled with train and only one scouts backpack. My pillow went.
And I am picky; my pillow is foam and about 60 x 40 cm. It's large. And it just does not compress due to it being foam. But I need it. I cannot sleep without it. So it has to come.
Once I did forget it though and that is how Gail got a second back-up pillow which now lives with my parents so I don't have to bring a pillow when visiting them; I had to go get a new one the day after arriving or I wouldn't have slept that week.

When I was a child I always needed two teddies no matter where I went (yes I still have them too) and not the small kind either. They're both about 50 cm tall and maybe 30 cm thick. My poor parents always had to find space for them in our small tents, back when each of them probably took up about as much space as I did (just distributed a bit differently :P )
Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
Comet 140

Post by Prof. Sindor Aloyarc »

As long as I have my phone and wallet when I leave the house I’m typically good (partially because the only other two necessities in my mind are my house key and lip balm, both of which I keep in my wallet).

Sleepover-wise, I do prefer to bring my own pillow and phone charger along just in case, but I’m pretty easy going otherwise and can comfortably get by with a sheet on a floor and nothing else if it really came down to it. The BIGGER priority for me is having some kinda white noise and air circulation if possible, most especially if it’s warm. So my biggest key item upon leaving to sleep somewhere else is either bringing a fan and/or headphones so I can play audio books (unless I’m utilizing white noise app if I’m with someone else who needs that too) to lull myself to sleep.

I know this isn’t uncommon. Plenty of people like white noise to go to sleep, but when I think about it I always wonder if the fact that my parents moved to an organization of group homes not too long before I was born. Between the two of them, my three older siblings (with one younger brother a couple years later as well), and the 8-9 foster kids who lived with us those first few years of my life before we moved into a different cottage on campus with just 2 kids at a time, I feel like part of my desire for voices and noise is how familiar it is. My last month or so in the womb must have been surrounded by a multitude of personalities, and frankly that makes perfect sense to me!

Upon reaching adulthood, when I had to go out into the world and be more considerate of new people and those I was living with, I did get used to the notion of silence as well. Technically I can sleep pretty well without the noise if I have to, though it definitely would be my top priority more often than not!
Deputy Headmaster | Deputy Head of Ravenclaw
"⁠—Starry, starry night. Paint your palette blue & grey."
Gail Allen
Cleansweep One

Post by Gail Allen »

I get that Sindor though to me any noise; even white noise, is really hard to sleep with. But then... I am an only child, so I think that makes sense. To me silence is the norm, and to you the norm was some level of background noise.

I *can* also sleep without my pillow if I really have to - and actually because I am a little bit of a preparedness freak - I always have the essential's in my every day bag that I could actually stay over at someone else's house if I really had to. (I have actually done this when a conference grew really late and my friend who lived in that town offered I could crash there for the night instead of having to drive home).
I always have a foldable toothbrush, a mini-toothpaste, a mini dental floss, soap leaves, deodorant, extra shirt and underwear, lipbalm (Like you Sindor, I definitely need lipbalm), a mini pop-up hairbrush, and a number of other things that aren't exactly needed for staying somewhere overnight, but that just might come in handy. Like a first aid kit, a few paper-towels, hand cream, a pen, a tiny notebook, an empty tiny pillbox (should I get a tick it's important to keep it for investigation), and these days also an extra mask.
It might come as no surprise I was voted most prepared for ANYTHING in my highschool yearbook XD

But yeah, those are my day-to-day 'travel' necessities that I just carry with me in case I decide to change whatever plans I had when I left the house, or something came up that I needed to deal with (like spilling ice cream on myself which happened not too long ago where I was very happy to have an extra shirt along).
Lucia Dinapoli
No broom

Post by Lucia Dinapoli »

I have a few go to items I MUST bring whether it be for a sleepover at a friends or a week long vacation:

My first is lip balm! I am glad I am not the only one who feels the same connection to the lip balm haha! Although I have lots of skin care products I depend on, my trusty carmex never fails to cure me of my dry lips (which I have a bad habit of biting if left un-moisturised). I often say if I was to ever be on a desert island and I could choose one item to have on hand it would be my lip balm.

Second up: my teddy. It seems a little childish to want to bring your teddy everywhere with you but I simply cannot sleep without cuddling something soft. Plus, me and my bunny have been inseparable since birth. Who says he doesn’t want to see the world too?

Lastly: my rings. I don’t feel me without them simply. Plus they look pretty cool!

Return to “Discussions”