Favorite Holiday Song?

Discussions about your interests outside of HOL

Moderator: Prefects

February Fortescue
Cleansweep One

Favorite Holiday Song?

Post by February Fortescue »

One thing I've noticed since meeting so many people from many different countries on HOL is the incredible number of celebrations we have! One thing which really draws us together is music. So many of us associate those celebrations with favorite music or songs.

In the soundtrack for Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Christmas at Hogwarts really captures the excitement of spending the holidays at the castle, with the decorations, the food, and the holiday festivities!

My favorite Christmas Carol is The Little Drummer Boy, as sung by the Harry Simeone Corale. When I was a child, there was a Christmas special called The Little Drummer Boy, and his little lamb had an accident and was brought back to life. I watch this special every December, and I cry every time. The song has stuck a cord with me.

Do you have a favorite song for this time of year?
superb sig by Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
No matter where you go, there you are.
Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
Comet 140

Re: Favorite Holiday Song?

Post by Prof. Sindor Aloyarc »

Baby It’s Cold Outside” is such a fun one to sing along with which tends to get stuck in my head, and I’ve always had a soft spot for “O Holy Night” for being so beautiful while also having those big powerful moments.

Love the season of holiday music. Really helps set the tone, and certainly this year it’s even more welcome!
Deputy Headmaster | Deputy Head of Ravenclaw
"⁠—Starry, starry night. Paint your palette blue & grey."
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

I have a strong fondness for O Holy Night, Sindor. A favorite teacher of mine (of many) sang this at a Christmas celebration at my school. What you say about 'big powerful moments' reminds me of the sheer shock of hearing someone singing that, live and in person, and with such a glorious depth of trueness and full wonder in his voice. I say 'shock' because it was a shock to my system, a wonderful shock -- everything went on hold for a moment as I felt that joy and gladness. I had no idea he could sing like that. Wow.

I don't know if this is strictly a holiday 'song', but I really really love “Ode to Joy” from Beethoven's Ninth Symphony. I love the whole symphony but that particular bit is a favorite of mine, and it's heard in a 'Christmas' movie ... Die Hard.
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Prof. Gustavo Flores
Silver Arrow

Post by Prof. Gustavo Flores »

I have to agree with O Holy Night! It is such a beautiful song. I love the lyrics, the music and the feeling of the song. The version I am most familiar with is the one sang by the character Rachel Berry (Lea Michele) for the TV Show, Glee, which has been my all.time favorite TV show. I heard it and fell in love with the song and her voice. The lyrics and the feeling in which she sang the song made me cry.

Another favorite of mine is The Little Drummer Boy, I'm most familiar with the Spanish version of the song which I have been listening to it for years, and years and years, but I really love the lyrics and the story it tells. :wub:
Dibyarup James Potter
Oakshaft 79

Post by Dibyarup James Potter »

My favourite Christmas Holiday songs are:

- "Baby It’s Cold Outside" by Frank Loesser
- "It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas" by Michael Bublé
- "Carol of the Bells" by Libera
- "All I Want for Christmas Is You" by Mariah Carey
1st Yr. Gryffindor with an aptitude for Charms, PotionsDADA | Aspiring Auror
Harry Walles
Oakshaft 79

Post by Harry Walles »

I do not really like Christmas songs but I really love Thank God is Christmas by Queen. However, I guess this is a very bias opinion since Queen is my favourite band ever :lol:

Return to “Discussions”