Names!

Discussions about your interests outside of HOL
Astor Arensin
No broom

Names!

Post by Astor Arensin » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:15 am

So, I've seen quite a lot of lovely and interesting names running around the castle and on the Marauder's Map.
I'd like to know what the reasoning behind everyone's names was!

For mine, Astor (or Ashton, as Tarma likes to call me...) was, really, out of nowhere. I had no reasoning behind it other than I wanted a named that started with the letter A and was fairly short. As for Arensin, it's a play on words! It can either be seen as "A Wren's In(n)" or "A Wren Sin." It was originally going to be Arenson though, until I decided to turn it into that play on words. So, originally it would have meant "A Wren Son" as a reference towards my love of birds, as well as animals in general.

What about everyone else? What was your reasoning behind your names? Or perhaps, what does it mean?
Polaris Black
Comet 140

Re: Names!

Post by Polaris Black » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:42 pm

When I joined HOL, I chose the name Polaris Black. My RL surname is a derivative of Black and since most Black family members are named after stars or constellations, I chose Polaris because it was unique to several websites and services.
A "Cassie Sig" is priceless - thank you so much!
Sky Alton
Cleansweep Two

Post by Sky Alton » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:25 pm

Mine is pretty boring. Sky Alton is a character in the first novel I ever wrote (for NaNoWriMo 2012) and I was still very much into that fictional universe when I signed up to HOL almost a year later (also, I was in a hurry as back then, there was only a narrow window where HOL accepted signups). I think I only chose her name because it sounded quite nice put together. I really like the feel of air and wind around me and some nights, I feel like I could just step into the sky so it's a name that has always appealed. Alton is an actual sirname (actually the name of a theme park a couple of counties over) but I didn't think about that when I randomly combined syllables.

I never really envisaged that HOL would become such a big part of my life a few years after I signed up so it's a bit weird how the name is now doubly significant.
"Does the Walker choose the path or the path the walker?" -Garth Nix
(Av/sig by Amy!)
Kendra Givens
Oakshaft 79

Post by Kendra Givens » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:24 am

I wanted to choose a name that matched my RL initials. I wasn't even thinking of Kendra Dumbledore when I picked it, I just wanted a K name that was relatively unusual and cool sounding. Givens was originally Goyle because I couldn't think of anything else, but I really didn't want to be associated with one of the biggest jerks in the series. Givens just random came to me and sounded decent enough.

Then Gail wrote me a really sweet poem using Givens as a play on words and I loved it even more. I might like my HOL name better than my RL name...
Alexander Brighton
Oakshaft 79

Post by Alexander Brighton » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:35 am

Lex is sort of like my codename with my friends in real life, so I wanted to do something with that. Lex is often short for Alex and Alex is sometimes short for Alexander, so I decided to go with Alexander. Then Brighton because Bright means smart. I was going to go with Alexander Bright, but decided to add on to the end of it.
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:31 pm

Ashton. :)

I have my name, Tarma, from the character Tarma shena Tale'sedrin in series of books, The Oathbound, by Mercedes Lackey. It was either Tarma or Kethry, and Tarma suits me better, both as a name and personality in the stories.

For a family name, I chose 'Black' because 1) I wear a lot of black and 2) Sirius Black (although I'd also have probably been happy with Lupin, too, both for Remus Lupin and well, Dennis Moore).

As a student I assumed the middle name of Amelia, even though it wasn't part of my 'official' HOL name (see siggy I sometimes use - yes, that is my student siggy. The Cheeky One, Cosmo, created it and I love it and it was my first ever siggy). Amelia is the name of an Alba rose, which dates from 1823.
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... image by Susan Seddon Boulet
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris

Return to “Discussions”