Theme Parties

Discussions about your interests outside of HOL
Gail Allen
Silver Arrow

Theme Parties

Post by Gail Allen » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:35 pm

Have you ever been to one or maybe even hosted one?

What was the theme and what activities were you doing? How did you make sure the theme got across? Did you have the guests prepare anything in advance - like asking them to show up dressed a particular way?
I am very curious cause I am contemplating hosting one myself some time during summer, so I am looking for ideas.
Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis
Nimbus 1000

Re: Theme Parties

Post by Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:07 am

This past Saturday was my sister's bridal shower. She wanted it to be Gilmore Girls themed. Although I have watched Gilmore Girls, I don't know the show as well as my sister, who still watches it on Netflix all the time. Luckily, her college roommate is a huge fan of Gilmore Girls too and did the majority of the creative planning.

Here are some things she came up with:
-The lyrics "Where you lead, I will follow" from the theme song were hanging on a wall.
-There was an Ice Cream Queen sign with my sister on it instead of Rory.
-The No Cell Phones sign from Luke's Diner confused a lot of non-Gilmore Girls fans.
-We had Founder's Day punch and the obnoxiously pink "The Rory" cocktail from Rory's 21st birthday.
-Cupcakes with the faces of all different characters from Gilmore Girls were consumed.
-There was a newspaper hat competition as a nod to when Rory and Paris joined the Yale Daily News.
-My favorite was the black umbrella representing The Life and Death Brigade for photo opportunities. Signs that accompanied it included "In Omnia Paratus" and "You Jump, I Jump, Jack." Appropriate for a "shower" too!

Not everyone who was invited has seen Gilmore Girls, but I think that made it more interesting. "Do you know what this means?" began many conversations.
Sky Alton
Cleansweep Two

Re: Theme Parties

Post by Sky Alton » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:31 pm

Scarlet, that sounds incredible. I'd have been fangirling all over the place. I hope your sister was in Gilmore heaven.

The only themed parties I've really attended (though the concept excites me no end and I hope to be able to organise one of my own some day) are the murder mystery dinners that I've done with friends which usually involved dressing up and the dining room being decorated. We then act out a preprepared script (with a lot of improvising). My favourite was probably one we did that was themed around the pyramids where the host had swagged fabric all round the room so it looked like the inside of a tent.
"Does the Walker choose the path or the path the walker?" -Garth Nix
(Av/sig by Amy!)

Return to “Discussions”