How do you unwind or relieve stress?

Discussions about your interests outside of HOL

Moderator: Prefects

Prof. Alexander Brighton
Moontrimmer

How do you unwind or relieve stress?

Post by Prof. Alexander Brighton »

To unwind, i enjoy reading a good fantasy novel (currently reading Crooked Kingdom), but every so often, re-reading the Harry Potter books is nice too). Going on my chromebook or phone is another way to unwind.

To relieve stress, a good movie especially if it is a comedy or an action movie (a movie that has both of those genres is even better). I find watching the baseball games is another good way to unwind and relieve stress (my favorite team is the Toronto Blue Jays!)

What do you all like to do to unwind or if you need to relieve some stress?
Aura Nightmoon
No broom

Re: How do you unwind or relieve stress?

Post by Aura Nightmoon »

I like to play games to relieve stress, but I also will turn music on really loud in my room and dance because I often feel like I need to be moving. To unwind, I also enjoy reading a good book or listening to classical music or lofi. The best way for me to unwind, though, is to be in my room alone, no little sisters around, and meditating. That might still involve reading or listening to music, but alone time allows my brain to rest.
Amethyst Silvermane
No broom

Post by Amethyst Silvermane »

The way I unwind or relieve stress is I tend to go outside and walk and sit on the beach for a while, especially when the sun is about to set, it shows complete peace. I watch the waves from the beach, how they calmly hit the rocks. That is why I will forever love living by the coast, knowing that should I ever want to escape from reality just for a while, I can just walk down the road for a few minutes and then I am at the beach
Felicity Moore
No broom

Post by Felicity Moore »

My favorite thing to do when I come home from work is to open my curtains, make my bed so I can sit on it or lean on my pillows. Turn a comfort movie on. Turn my Christmas lights on (they are multicolored and the hang all around my ceiling. I grab a book, whether it's a college romance or a murder mystery, either one will put me into a calm mindset. I shut my door and start reading. Everyone in the house knows that when my door is closed, I shouldn't be bothered which is nice. I do it nearly every day. I make sure to give myself an equal amount of rest compared to the stress from working out or going to work.
Adeline Morior
Oakshaft 79

Post by Adeline Morior »

Coffee with a nice fluffy duvet or blanket and LOADS of pillows so that I can disappear in them paired with a good fantasy book or, coffee with an open world fantasy RPG game. Especially one that has a very natural nature type open world where I can run around, explore and get lost in.

"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean it is not real?" - Albus Dumbledore
Amy Darvill
Oakshaft 79

Post by Amy Darvill »

This is an area where I am trying to get a little bit better on, but probably still my favorite way is to lay back on my bed and listen to music, so I can just zone out for a bit, really listen to lyrics.

Besides that, reading with a hot cup of tea or coffee or crocheting something simple are some other stress reducers. Well, the crochet is questionable, I spend a lot of time 'frogging' as it turns out!
Ivonne Zwei
No broom

Post by Ivonne Zwei »

I enjoy playing video games or sometimes just lying down and switching my brain off and staring at the empty air until something interrupts me.
Louis Walles
Moontrimmer

Post by Louis Walles »

I love to watch movies with my children. I also like to play with my ferret. Reading books also really calms me down and allows me to relax.
"He who fights too long against the dragons becomes a dragon himself; and if you gaze too long into the abyss, the abyss will gaze into you" ~ Nietzsche
Amy Smith
Oakshaft 79

Post by Amy Smith »

To relieve stress, I first take deep breaths to calm myself down and I eat chocolates and or any other snacks that I may find. I also tend to spend my time reading or listen to music, in order to relieve stress.
Evony Senoj
No broom

Post by Evony Senoj »

To unwind and relieve stress, I enjoy reading, writing, playing video games, doing yoga, and even completing classwork or other tasks. There's no greater feeling than checking something off a to-do list!
Byn Watson
No broom

Post by Byn Watson »

To unwind I tend to listen to some music and have a nice cup of tea. I'll also try to get some reading in if I'm up for it.
To destress I really enjoy going for a walk. I pop in a headphone and take a trip to the shops until I forget about whatever was stressing me out, usually because now my only stress is how sore my legs got during the walk.
Byn Watson | Hufflepuff First Year
Mia Fountain
Silver Arrow

Post by Mia Fountain »

I usually unwind or try to relieve stress by drinking a tea, while reading or watching a show. Though depending on how stressed I am I may need to relieve it by doing something more physical, which would lead to either playing a game that requires me to move around or practicing a kata.
Maxine Riddle
No broom

Post by Maxine Riddle »

I relax by meditating, reading a book, and or listening to music. When I get overwhelmed or stress I find it best for me to be left alone and work it out myself. I also find that connecting with nature is very relaxing and helps me unwind for example going to the beach, walking in the forest or simply sitting outside for a few minutes really helps me distress and better connect with the environment around me.
Brooklynn Coleman
No broom

Post by Brooklynn Coleman »

I have a couple things I do when it comes to relieving stress or unwinding. My first go to is a good crime documentary or television show. Another option for me is to read a good psychological thriller and trust me there are some good ones out there. If I have it handy, I will build Harry Potter lego sets. I just completed the 6,020 piece Hogwarts castle which took me about 3 months to completed. My final option are diamond puzzles which I will make for people's birthdays. Even doing these things for a short time really helps me because it is distracting and it takes my mind off what was causing the stress in the first place.
Emily Spencer
Comet 180

Post by Emily Spencer »

My go-to stress reliever is a bit unusual, I suppose. When I want to relax after a particularly stressful day, I cook something or peruse some of my many cookbooks. Baking bread is my latest food obsession/hobby; there's something extremely satisfying and calming to lose myself in the process.

Other than cooking, I enjoy a cup of hot tea (preferably lavender chamomile) while curled up reading my favorite book (usually historical fiction or a psychological thriller).
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who’s going to stop me.”
Head Student/Slytherin Prefect/Student Teacher/Library & Book Club Head
Silvana Mandeville
Silver Arrow

Post by Silvana Mandeville »

I usually spent it by watching dramas or playing games. Most times I was too lazy to even following the storyline so I would ended up playing games on Telegram with my friends or just strolling around my Minecraft world. Or else I would just go to bed and sleep.
Maeve Madden
No broom

Post by Maeve Madden »

I have a few different methods to relieve stress. The first is a tried and true technique sure to alleviate even the most stressful of feelings... singing as loud as you can to your favourite songs! I do this on my way home from work or school when I've had a particularly stressful day. I also play piano and write music; I find this takes my mind off of whatever is going on the best. I love to play puzzles as well, including nonograms, logic puzzles, jigsaws, tents and trees, and hashi. And then of course, hanging out with my cat!
Aletheia Aves
No broom

Post by Aletheia Aves »

To relieve stress, I like to lie in bed and do breathing exercises. I also will do stretches and yoga. Anything physically active is very good for me. To unwind, I like to play games with my older sister or do art. I have not been making art for long, but I enjoy discovering and learning about new mediums.
Tinnie Jamison
No broom

Post by Tinnie Jamison »

I like to make myself something to eat and listen to music like Hozier and The arcadian wild. I will also do some self care like doing my hair or putting a mask on and watch a movie or show that i like.
Aurora Silverthorn
No broom

Post by Aurora Silverthorn »

I usually like to go practice archery at one of the local clubs around here. But I also want to register in a gym again so I can work out.
Those two options usually help me when I'm stressed or just need a timeout from the world.

Return to “Discussions”